Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391030 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #7770 on: October 19, 2016, 06:17:21 pm »

I'm not talking about bombing anybody, I just meant having a tougher stance in general and there are things that he could have done with Syria that he didn't do.

Of course though, the only other president that I've really seen the foriegn policy of is George W. Bush. i did personally know that Clinton got involved in the Balkan wars and there was that thing in Somalia, but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to politics during the Clinton era. So, my view on the foriegn policy stuff is colored somewhat by not experiencing a less warmongery president beforehand like Clinton.

tl;dr

I'm probably still a bit of a political 'young'un' and don't really know much better.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:19:23 pm by smjjames »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: October 19, 2016, 06:20:21 pm »

That was in response to misko27's rant.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: October 19, 2016, 06:21:11 pm »

Clearly the only answer to this is a poll and some sort of forum game to create Bay12's fantastical political 4 square.
Now that'd be a nightmare to find axis for. Leftist-Postleftist x Transhumanist-Biochauvinist? It's even got the bias already built in!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: October 19, 2016, 06:21:34 pm »

My post was also in response to misko, I just didn't quote him.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: October 19, 2016, 06:22:04 pm »

My post was also in response to misko, I just didn't quote him.

...touche.

Clearly the only answer to this is a poll and some sort of forum game to create Bay12's fantastical political 4 square.
Now that'd be a nightmare to find axis for. Leftist-Postleftist x Transhumanist-Biochauvinist? It's even got the bias already built in!

I dare you. I double dog dare you.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: October 19, 2016, 06:22:47 pm »

I'm not talking about bombing anybody, I just meant having a tougher stance in general and there are things that he could have done with Syria that he didn't do.

Of course though, the only other president that I've really seen the foriegn policy of is George W. Bush. i did personally know that Clinton got involved in the Balkan wars and there was that thing in Somalia, but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to politics during the Clinton era. So, my view on the foriegn policy stuff is colored somewhat by not experiencing a less warmongery president beforehand like Clinton.

Foreign policy isn't all about war. Obama for instance brokered the nuclear deal with Iran and normalized relations with Cuba.

Not really sure what could have been done in Syria though, Syria is just an impossible situation with so many actors having influence on the war.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: October 19, 2016, 06:31:58 pm »

Yeah, I don't like the situation in Syria but I do not believe much anything else could be done without making a bad situation even worse. We tried arming and training the rebels, we tried supplying them, we tried airstrikes, we tried no fly zones, we tried diplomacy multiple times. The Russians, Shias, Sunnis, practically every regional power with some interest in it. We've done what we could without effectively setting the stage for WW3. Still not sure it won't be the case due to those Russians the US hit in an airstrike. I didn't always feel this way but as the years have dragged on and I've watched thing after thing fail, I can't fault the Obama administration for not trying.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: October 19, 2016, 06:40:57 pm »

The only option was to go all-out before it started. Now the equilibrium of the opposing powers means that it doesn't have to end anytime soon. It can just keep killing people. I mean I think it will have to slow down eventually, but this could go on for another decade perhaps.

Also, I'm pissed because I want to go to my college's public viewing of the debate, but I also want to be in the Bay12 Chat for the last debate before a general election. And my computer's charger is dead, so my computer only works if plugged in at all times. So either commandeer a corner with a charger and miss the point of going to a public viewing in the first place, stay at home and miss the chance to make friends at all, or go without and miss the jokes. Sigh. DECISIONS.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: October 19, 2016, 06:42:53 pm »

we tried no fly zones,

No we didn't. There was talk of them, yes, but they never got implemented, so, we never tried them in actuality.

Yeah, I don't like the situation in Syria but I do not believe much anything else could be done without making a bad situation even worse. We tried arming and training the rebels, we tried supplying them, we tried airstrikes, we tried no fly zones, we tried diplomacy multiple times. The Russians, Shias, Sunnis, practically every regional power with some interest in it. We've done what we could without effectively setting the stage for WW3. Still not sure it won't be the case due to those Russians the US hit in an airstrike. I didn't always feel this way but as the years have dragged on and I've watched thing after thing fail, I can't fault the Obama administration for not trying.

I'm not saying that we didn't try either. But yeah, its evolved into a strange mess of proxy wars (or even proxy-proxy wars, if that makes any sense) with almost every major power, both regional and international involved. About the only major one not involved is China, despite rumors.

It's like Syria has become a microcosm of the whole mideast mess along with the inter-geopolitics involved, concentrated into a (relatively) small region.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: October 19, 2016, 06:48:40 pm »

Friendly reminded that you can join the official debate popcorn IRC channel at irc.sorcery.net #bay12debate.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: October 19, 2016, 06:50:59 pm »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: October 19, 2016, 06:55:46 pm »

we tried no fly zones,

No we didn't. There was talk of them, yes, but they never got implemented, so, we never tried them in actuality.
Well formally you didn't, yes. De-facto there are some weak attempts to enforce something similar in places, though - Coalition's spec ops embedded within Kurds, NSA and IIRC Turkish FSA operate under Coalition's protection from the air, and they get very agitated when someone tries to bomb them.
._.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: October 19, 2016, 07:00:31 pm »

Quicklink is at: http://sorcery.net/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=69

Just adding that in.
I'm gonna be late to this one; still have doin's that need doin' beforehand. Don't use up all the snark before I get there.

Misko, I'd say probably go with yer college's public viewing. Heckling these kinds of things is always more fun in person.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7783 on: October 19, 2016, 07:02:12 pm »

Now I'm going to have to make some new diamond charts.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: October 19, 2016, 07:21:21 pm »

Misko, I'd say probably go with yer college's public viewing. Heckling these kinds of things is always more fun in person.
My roommates have suddenly decided to stage an impromptu party between the four of them and it's pissing me off (music, giggling = things that don't go with debates).

I'm definitely going now if I wasn't before. Sorry folks. You'll have to survive without my wit for the  night. Maybe I'll find an outlet somewhere discreet.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 1249