Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390993 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #7695 on: October 19, 2016, 09:56:00 am »

blatantly corrupt & lying into everyone's faces all the time

So is his competitor. So is half the US government. So is most of basically every government on the planet. The main difference is that Trump lies about trivial bullshit too rather than just the important things.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: October 19, 2016, 09:59:52 am »

I haven't seen anything in the emails that's a bigger scandal than the Russians attempting to influence the US elections through hacking. Especially since they're leaking blatantly personal information and SSNs.

Let me know when there's a russian running for US president. Kthx.
Trump is so blatantly corrupt & lying into everyone's faces all the time that he may as well be de-facto a part of Russian government. Look, they even defend him in UN!

Don't exactly see anything better on Hillary's side. At least as corrupt and dishonest as Trump. Trumps just worse at hiding it cause has hasnt spent the last few decades thinking he'd be seriously running for politics some day.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7698 on: October 19, 2016, 10:00:57 am »

... then you're not even trying to look.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7699 on: October 19, 2016, 10:03:29 am »

Guys, Clinton is a liar!  The same people who think there isn't a difference between Clinton and Trump told me so!  You know they must be great judges of character. ::)

This single picture does a better job of explaining politics than any of our politics threads
Discuss.

Political compasses are stupid.  There is some value but they are massively overused.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: October 19, 2016, 10:05:38 am »

It's more that an instance of Trump lying is "because he's an awful person and compulsive liar" (which is fairly accurate) and almost any instance of Clinton lying is "Oh, she didn't mean to! Oh, she's evolved! Oh, you're just misrepresenting her!"

I can't imagine the cognitive dissonance some of her supporters must be going through, except that it must be excruciatingly painful.
The circle is complete.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: October 19, 2016, 10:09:44 am »

It's more an instance of you create a strawman then actually looking at what we are saying.  This isn't even a conversation, really.

Wait, let me put it in your terms:

It's more like everything that UXLZ puts is "Oh let me put this lazy conspiracy theory and see if they notice.  Oh shit, they noticed?  Well quick, I better tell a bunch of lies because I'm a liar!  Gee, doesn't it suck that I'm a vessel for someones thinly disguised narrative rather then a real person?"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:13:59 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: October 19, 2016, 10:18:29 am »

Political compasses are stupid.  There is some value but they are massively overused.
Where I usually land (it varies a lot by test, if not by phase of the Moon), it appears I have troubles with bananas.

(Which is true, but mostly because I don't like the taste of what I call (with no real basis) the Potassium Tang.  That tingling off-tongue taste that exists in fruit of any ripeness, but not in banana 'flavour'. But that won't be the DNA. ;) )

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: October 19, 2016, 10:29:42 am »

It's more an instance of you create a strawman then actually looking at what we are saying.  This isn't even a conversation, really.

It's more like everything that UXLZ puts is "Oh let me put this lazy conspiracy theory and see if they notice.  Oh shit, they noticed?  Well quick, I better tell a bunch of lies because I'm a liar!  Gee, doesn't it suck that I'm a vessel for someones thinly disguised narrative rather then a real person?"

Are you denying that Clinton is a liar or not? Because you seemed to be.
The circle is complete.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: October 19, 2016, 10:37:17 am »

Don't exactly see anything better on Hillary's side.
And everyone else disagrees. But no, people have to keep talking. They cannot accept the disagree! You cannot accept the disagree! No one can! Can't let someone be wrong on the internet.

I dislike it when this thread becomes Ameripol vs. the Rest of the World. It's been happening on-and-off and been increasing recently, but I feel like the past week or two has really seen an explosion of argumentative posts by people who A) do not appear to be eligible to vote in this country, B) I have not actually seen posting in this thread up until now, and/or C) Are going against the grain because whatever, and dragging the thread down into arguments that go nowhere. And ordinarily I don't mind, but this is crunch time guys.

There are NINETEEN DAYS LEFT people. NINETEEN. You can spend the next four years arguing. I'd like it if we devoted the time (and energy) we have left to discussions of the latest happenings and not rehashing "Trump is terrible" "No Clinton is worse". Literally, NO ONE who posts in this thread is undecided, bar people who don't vote. (And if you ARE undecided... I mean jesus just go look at the candidates themselves, don't get tertiary and quaternary sources like us (Looking at BFEL here).) So arguing about it isn't going to do anything. It's literally just smashing your head against the wall at this point, but people feel the need to do it because... Some people like the feeling of concrete smacking against their forehead? Iunno. I don't know why I do it. Probably because I'm actually interested in elections and not mindless arguing.

I'm not Helgoland, so I can't force you guys to make this more useful. But I am making the suggestion that... I mean for chrissakes there is a debate tonight if nothing else. The last debate! TONS of stuff to discuss that isn't rehashing the same ground a million times. Boatloads. Binders full of it.

So, questions along that line of thought: Clinton goes into this debate with a roughly 7% general polling lead. If you were Trump, what would you do? If you were Clinton, what would you do? Do they seem likely to take your advice, or are they using a different strategy? What are the risks for the candidates? What do you guys want to see in this debate that you perhaps didn't see in the last two? And is there any hope that the moderators will have a set of balls like the last two mdoerators did?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:40:14 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: October 19, 2016, 10:38:15 am »

This single picture does a better job of explaining politics than any of our politics threads
Discuss.

TSDR;

(Too stupid didn't read.)

Are you not denying that you're a liar? Because you don't seem to be.

We could do this stupid dance all day.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:39:50 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: October 19, 2016, 10:42:09 am »

Are you denying that you are calling one of americas most honest politicians a liar?  Because you seem to be.

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: October 19, 2016, 11:02:56 am »

The main difference is that Trump lies about trivial bullshit too rather than just the important things.

That chart shows me that all the politicians (even Sanders is guilty of this) say something "true" only about 20-25% of the time. "Mostly true" another 25-30% of the time. Everything else ranges from half-truth to hilariously wrong. Am I supposed to find it surprising that someone with a Law background knows to keep the flagrant bullshit to a minimum?
The circle is complete.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: October 19, 2016, 11:12:44 am »

You'll note that Gary isn't on that list, hence I'll assume that he's completely honest and therefore the best candidate. Feel the Johnson 2016!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: October 19, 2016, 11:14:02 am »

So, what, you want a politician to never lie, ever? I seriously don't get your end-game here other than to sit around and mope about how everything's terrible.

You want to know what I want, then, huh? Well, I'd like for humanity to stop squandering its potential on senseless bullshit and incompetent individuals barely worth a fraction of our attention, but that's obviously not going to happen so Let's Get Serious: First-past the post voting is awful. It's a large part of the reason why you're stuck between choosing to get shot in your left eye or shot in your right eye. Try, through whatever method necessary, to scrap what you have by now and enact something along the lines of single transferable vote. Seriously, the American election system is AWFUL. It NEEDS to go.

The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 1249