Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390374 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5385 on: October 01, 2016, 12:01:51 pm »

So please tell me how shitting on entire DC metro area fake was a sequitur to a single sarcastic comment which included "/s".
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: October 01, 2016, 12:04:40 pm »

More resources = more access to a broader range of solutions to a problem = more efficiency and greater output at scale

Example from my industry.  FedEx can offer services smaller logistics business can't, because they own their own fuckhuge fleets of planes and trucks and hubs everywhere, so they can streamline everything under their own control.  Some of their hubs are large enough that they even have their own customs officers on-site.  Others have to complicate things and burn more money on hiring other business to fill in the gaps where in-house resources are lacking. 

I work for a moderately large but still family-owned freight forwarder that prides itself on not being asset-based.  This means to fly a shipment from Asia to USA, we have to hire other businesses to handle trucking, warehousing, flying, document couriers, and sometimes specialized messengers for customs.  FedEx just has the customer drop it off at their nearest service center and everything else is 100% handled by FedEx employees.  Now we do have major advantages over FedEx, but providing overall efficient service for good prices isn't among them.

And the obsession with public image can work both ways.  If the corporation decides they can bury a problem instead of dealing with it ethically, they will.  There was sexual harassment buried and neglected by HR at the 120+ employee office I worked at with FedEx.  The victims were intimidated into silence.  Small businesses have less resources to make their people feel like they're too insignificant to seek recourse.

At the hub, FedEx literally had PR management teams whose sole purpose was to deflect media, silence witnesses, and generate acceptable narrative if there was ever an accident.  I got to indirectly see them in action one winter when a lift fell over that someone was using to de-ice the wing of a plane.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:09:41 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: October 01, 2016, 12:13:25 pm »

And the obsession with public image can work both ways.  If the corporation decides they can bury a problem instead of dealing with it ethically, they will.  There was sexual harassment buried and neglected by HR at the 120+ employee office I worked at with FedEx.  The victims were intimidated into silence.  Small businesses have less resources to make their people feel like they're too insignificant to seek recourse.

Yeah this kind of shit happens.  But small business people can just harass people and then fire them and it's impossible to prove 99.9% of the time.  It even makes it harder for the harassed person to get a new job because getting fired looks bad on your work history.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: October 01, 2016, 12:15:13 pm »

So please tell me how shitting on entire DC metro area fake was a sequitur to a single sarcastic comment which included "/s".

The /s doesn't mean your statement cannot be insulting? Like, you had fake praise that was sarcastic implying that RedKing was an asshole who considers remembering the name of a waiter the same as a connection. There might have been a second layer of sarcasm, but we can't divine that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: October 01, 2016, 12:17:28 pm »

Well then I'm sorry that I crossed a line but frankly I think Redking was being a massive fucking asshole.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: October 01, 2016, 12:22:44 pm »

That one followed by "/s" ?

That's the attack I was talking about, yeah. I have a hard time myself when I attempt to tease or prod someone (often ending up saying something hurtful to my instant regret), but that really came off as little more than an unprovoked personal insult. There are a lot better ways of making that point, and since this is a discussion that I find very interesting myself, it's disappointing to see it derailed into insults.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: October 01, 2016, 12:23:12 pm »

Well then I'm sorry that I crossed a line but frankly I think Redking was being a massive fucking asshole.

How was he being an asshole? He only started ranting about DC after your "/s". Before that he just said some rather cliché stuff about small business.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: October 01, 2016, 12:28:49 pm »

Yes, I mean after.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: October 01, 2016, 12:36:42 pm »

I'll admit RedKing's response was more than was called for.  In-context, I wouldn't call it a massive asshole response.  But this is what you guys have had going on for a long time from both sides.  Frequent jabs and overreactions.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: October 01, 2016, 12:42:27 pm »

I should not have said something that would move things in that direction.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: October 01, 2016, 12:43:28 pm »

You all had salt without me?

My....my life has no meaning now....
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: October 01, 2016, 12:45:55 pm »

You use /s that the same way that Trump says "I'm not gonna talk about Bill Clinton's infidelity."

It allows you to level some bullshit aspersion and then if anybody protests, claim it was just a joke.

And my point was that your experiences in DC are not applicable to other places, because DC is not like other places.
By its very function as the hub of government and lobbying, it's full of duplicity and power dynamics and inauthenticity to the gills.
But I'll admit I should not cast aspersions about an entire city full of high-priced lawyers and corrupt politicians. /s

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: October 01, 2016, 12:52:48 pm »

I think you are perfectly sympathetic and nice towards the low wage service workers you deal with and I think it comes from empathy not aristocratic privilege.  I think this because it's true of nearly everyone I have ever met (the remainder being noteworthy assholes).
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: October 01, 2016, 01:04:08 pm »

Yeah this kind of shit happens.  But small business people can just harass people and then fire them and it's impossible to prove 99.9% of the time.  It even makes it harder for the harassed person to get a new job because getting fired looks bad on your work history.

Also, I was absolutely not disagreeing with you on this point.  I know this is true.  I was just remarking on Rolan's point that obsession with public image and powerful HR departments can easily work in both good and bad ways.  And which way it goes depends on the crunchy details of the situation - equations of liability vs potential spin, and what will work best for the company, whether ethical or not.

As for discrimination, yeah... big businesses have powerful HR departments and obsession with general public image.  Small businesses... no real recourse unless you know the boss (and hope it isn't the boss).
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: October 01, 2016, 01:07:17 pm »

I think the bigger deal though is that federal anti-discrimination laws actually have teeth when a business is big.  And if we have a Supreme Court that isn't hostile towards class action lawsuits, that will just get even more true.  Or dare I say it, we might even have unions.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 1249