Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391035 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5310 on: September 30, 2016, 03:34:16 pm »

The problem is that most of the soldiers manning those facilities are not from Colorado. Will the base commander at Minot follow the orders from Bismarck to launch airstrikes and missiles on his family and friends in Wisconsin? Even if he does pass on the command, will his troops follow it?
Depends on whether Uncle Wyatt, back home, is perhaps just a huge PITA, and the neighbours Ethan and Aubrey never did keep their yard mowed properly, even though they're still 'borrowing' the ride-on...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: September 30, 2016, 03:41:59 pm »

... they must take landscaping very seriously wherever you are if an intercontinental missile barrage is acceptable reprisal for poor lawn maintenance.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: September 30, 2016, 03:59:36 pm »

... they must take landscaping very seriously wherever you are if an intercontinental missile barrage is acceptable reprisal for poor lawn maintenance.
[ETHIC:DISAGREE_LANDSCAPING:NUCLEAR_EXCHANGE]
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: September 30, 2016, 04:13:51 pm »

I think you all are taking my suggestion far more seriously than it was intended.

However, you're also assuming that the Federal government would vanish overnight, when what I said was "devolve". Meaning a more orderly transition of power, something akin to what happened with USSR->CIS->Russia and a bunch of other new countries.

I would see it as a transition to a weak confederation of all 50 states, which would then transition to regional supragovernments that the states would form and join of their own design. You'd probably see CA, WA and OR form one; NY and the New England states form one, the upper Midwest form one, the South form one (and yes, it would probably be some half-assed attempt to reform the Confederacy), etc.

I've come to believe that democracy has both a minimum and maximum optimal size. Three people doesn't make for a good democracy. Neither does three billion. Honestly, I think even America's ~318 million has surpassed the optimal maximum. If we continue to grow, we're either going to move towards a more authoritarian central government like China, or a hopelessly broken decentralized democracy like India. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the optimal maximum is 200-250 million, though cultural factors will change that. A heterogenous population is going to have a lower effective max than a homogenous one.

Breaking the US up into smaller, more homogenous chunks potentially means better, more responsive governance for everyone. Not that I expect to see it in my lifetime (unless it's done the quick and ugly way, which I'd rather not see) but I think long-term the US is unsustainable in its current form.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: September 30, 2016, 04:16:19 pm »

Greeks were pretty sure anything bigger then a city is too much territory for democracy. Times change.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: September 30, 2016, 04:30:09 pm »

We just need to hold everyone down and surgically implant transmitters in their brains in order to create democracy in realtime.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: September 30, 2016, 04:56:19 pm »

I'm up for it. You bring the clamps, I'll bring the hedge clippers.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: September 30, 2016, 05:30:01 pm »

I guess, then, we just have to wait for things to get so utterly terrible that the majority of folks agree that something desperately needs to change.
Yeah, good luck with that. I won't be holding my breath (at least, not until after they repeal the Clean Air Act). The US is terminally fucked. Best option at this point (IMHO) would be to devolve into a handful of smaller countries with more homogenous populations, so people could actually agree on shit and get things done.
You will all be welcome in Barter Town The Chicagoligarchy, provided you can prove your usefulness and pass the pizza test.

In other politics-as-entertainment news, I think we've finally reached peak Godwin. The NYT published a thousand-word book review of a new Hitler biography this week, and the reviewer doesn't mention the name 'Donald Trump' even once. It is masterful.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: September 30, 2016, 05:33:19 pm »

I do think that is the best thing that can happen.  Not specifically that, but I mean making better use of technology to determine stakeholders in any given decision being made (instead of just blanket declaring everybody within a region to be a stakeholder because much of the time being someone's next door neighbor doesn't give you any right to decide shit like laws regarding sexuality and whatnot), and to streamline/amplify effective communication between those stakeholders to generate the best compromises.

And yeah, as anti-authoritarian as I am, I don't genuinely support violent revolution either.  Not because it's unpleasant, but because it's totally pointless so long as people don't have a clear path leading towards a different way of life to follow afterwards.  Now if that path is established and existing authorities block it, then revolution is necessary in my opinion.  But Americans are very, very far from being able to agree on what that path is.  If we're heading towards any kind of violence, it's civil war, not revolution.

Unrelated
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:13:00 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: September 30, 2016, 06:13:05 pm »

We just need to hold everyone down and surgically implant transmitters in their brains in order to create democracy in realtime.
Like the Borg!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: September 30, 2016, 06:26:42 pm »

I'd like to see a free-for-all between the states. Colorado has quite a few ICBMs and national air force facilities, could be enough to blitz the yuppies and challenge the decaying easterners...

The problem is that most of the soldiers manning those facilities are not from Colorado. Will the base commander at Minot follow the orders from Bismarck to launch airstrikes and missiles on his family and friends in Wisconsin? Even if he does pass on the command, will his troops follow it?

I think if the manpower shortage is bad enough that we need to have foreign prisoners and other enemies of the fatherstate operate the missile controls, we've got bigger issues. Worst case scenario we have to limit ourselves to nuking Florida, in which case we win the gratitude of every other state, especially Florida.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: September 30, 2016, 06:38:34 pm »

Like the Borg!
Why do you refuse our path? Here there is no pain, no loneliness, no rejection, the total absence of all the sins and fears of humanity. We are all as one. Here, there are wonders.

Resistance is futile.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: September 30, 2016, 06:53:10 pm »

We tried that; clearly it didn't work.

Yes if you ignore all the ways things are getting better nothing is getting better on gay rights, climate policy, ending wars, progressive taxation...

Maybe things start getting better when you stop judging the state of the union on the standards of what iconoclasts think about contemporary institutions.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:55:00 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: September 30, 2016, 07:15:25 pm »

Trump's got plenty of Charisma. It's Wis he's lacking. Int he's above average but not stupendous on. Hillary's the one with low Charisma, for a politician. High Int and very decent Wis, but they're only just making up for her lower ability bonus to the Diplomacy (Cha) skill. She is good enough to have very nice Sense Motive, Perception, and Gather Information skills, though, at least.

Meanwhile Donald could Bluff his way into a Beholder den, simply by force of will, apparently.
Situational bonus, not character skill.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: September 30, 2016, 07:27:53 pm »

Trump's got plenty of Charisma. It's Wis he's lacking. Int he's above average but not stupendous on. Hillary's the one with low Charisma, for a politician. High Int and very decent Wis, but they're only just making up for her lower ability bonus to the Diplomacy (Cha) skill. She is good enough to have very nice Sense Motive, Perception, and Gather Information skills, though, at least.

Meanwhile Donald could Bluff his way into a Beholder den, simply by force of will, apparently.
Situational bonus, not character skill.
Eh, Clinton's got some penalties to be sure, but Donald has successfully pulled out declaring bankruptcy how many times while still remaining incredibly wealthy? Creating situational bonuses is part of those skills too, ya know.

On another note:

I would like to note my vehement disagreement on multiple levels with people who want to burn the whole system down. A. I live in that system, B. So does my family, and C. Ask not! What your country can do to make you better off. Ask! What you can do to make it better.

System needs some cleaning up, not catastrophe. The nice thing about democracy is that it can and does stretch to accommodate change in popular opinion. The downside of democracy is that it is thereby vulnerable to the less intelligent perceived whims of the public, such as the 9/11 bill. The way we run it we also have good and bad parts to do with appointing people and lobbying and etc., but, point is. America ain't ruined. Even if Trump became president, it wouldn't be ruined. It'd be worse off for it, but we've had Teddy Roosevelt as president, and if you go back and look the man was somewhere around as crazy. People adapt to anything. Good or bad. Countries don't always, but overall, it'll survive. It just takes time for accurate information to disseminate to such a degree that people act on it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 1249