Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390959 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #5295 on: September 30, 2016, 01:05:38 pm »

On the other hand, if any of y'all outside the border happen to have taken some sort of damage from US personnel, officials, or anyone they supported, or know someone that did, man, did our country just generate some good news for you, ahahahahaha

And yeah, the blame in this case lands on each and every one of those shits. Save the one guy in the senate and the few dozen in the house, anyway. I'm not saying they're okay but they're apparently marginally less of a bloody idiot on some subjects than their fellows. Which apparently isn't a high bar to pass but :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5296 on: September 30, 2016, 01:22:42 pm »

Yeah, the Democratic party is alllllmost as dysfunctional as the Republicans. We came really, really close to Bernie v. Trump. And effectively the entire legislative wing of the USA said that it has no idea what it is doing.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5297 on: September 30, 2016, 01:43:15 pm »

At this point? I'm seriously considering insurrection.

If Hillary wins, then at least the American Public is, majority-wise, sane. If not, then I'm going to start start the Liberal Crime Squad and start training up my wheelchair and shotgun skills.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: September 30, 2016, 01:53:23 pm »

So, our political system is fucked.

That's great. Now how do we fix it?

Raise children with better moral/political compasses and hope one day they'll run for government and take one for the team?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: September 30, 2016, 02:03:21 pm »

So, our political system is fucked.

That's great. Now how do we fix it?

Multi-member statewide congressional districts with party list voting would leave me satisfied.

But I'd expect us to get Trump'd, lose a nuclear war, or have congress trade the federal reserve to a wealthy Nigerian prince before we get a constitutional amendment like that passed.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: September 30, 2016, 02:17:21 pm »

I mean. Given what we were talking about this last page or two, I'm not as sure as I was that that last one is entirely unlikely. Maybe we'll get both.
Ask not!
Ask!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: September 30, 2016, 02:35:00 pm »

At this point? I'm seriously considering insurrection.

If Hillary wins, then at least the American Public is, majority-wise, sane. If not, then I'm going to start start the Liberal Crime Squad and start training up my wheelchair and shotgun skills.
...I'm seriously considering what I could do if Trump wins.  There is depressingly little available.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: September 30, 2016, 02:48:38 pm »

... folks, as frustrating as all this is, let's... not. Be advocating or suggesting violence. Above and beyond the whole forum ToS thing, this election is too fucked up to tell if you folks are serious or not.
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: September 30, 2016, 02:50:07 pm »

I guess, then, we just have to wait for things to get so utterly terrible that the majority of folks agree that something desperately needs to change.
Yeah, good luck with that. I won't be holding my breath (at least, not until after they repeal the Clean Air Act). The US is terminally fucked. Best option at this point (IMHO) would be to devolve into a handful of smaller countries with more homogenous populations, so people could actually agree on shit and get things done.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: September 30, 2016, 03:08:00 pm »

... folks, as frustrating as all this is, let's... not. Be advocating or suggesting violence. Above and beyond the whole forum ToS thing, this election is too fucked up to tell if you folks are serious or not.

Yeah, as much as we want change, doing it violently is only going to cause further problems.

I guess, then, we just have to wait for things to get so utterly terrible that the majority of folks agree that something desperately needs to change.
Yeah, good luck with that. I won't be holding my breath (at least, not until after they repeal the Clean Air Act). The US is terminally fucked. Best option at this point (IMHO) would be to devolve into a handful of smaller countries with more homogenous populations, so people could actually agree on shit and get things done.

How would that work? Other than Texas and Hawaii as those are the only ones who were previously their own countries (we all know Texas's history, and Hawaii used to be ruled by the native Polynesians). And MAYBE the old Confederate South but I don't think we want to go there.

The only regional 'nation identities' we really have are the various First Nation peoples.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: September 30, 2016, 03:08:33 pm »

... do you really want to have SC be a foreign country, RK? Because somehow I don't think that's going to improve relations between y'all. Or the situation anywhere, when areas needing federal assistance to not entirely break down suddenly find themselves without support, with worse problems, probably at least some hostile neighbors in the same situation, and not much else they can do about it besides all those guns they have laying around :-\

Shit would almost certainly get incredibly fucking terrible if we actually broke down and broke up the federal government. Too much of the country not only isn't self-sufficient, but functionally can't be with the populations our country has. Without what we've got holding us together this chunk of the continent probably isn't going to turn out well.

E: Also sweet blue hell but it would probably take literally centuries to fix everything that'd bugger up regarding trade and shit, on top of everything else.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:10:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: September 30, 2016, 03:16:03 pm »

And the last thing anybody needs is the shitfest that will be dealing with the USA's nuclear arsenal if that's the case. To say nothing of our conventional military hardware.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: September 30, 2016, 03:21:10 pm »

Shit would almost certainly get incredibly fucking terrible if we actually broke down and broke up the federal government. Too much of the country not only isn't self-sufficient, but functionally can't be with the populations our country has. Without what we've got holding us together this chunk of the continent probably isn't going to turn out well.

^This.

While there are a few states which could be mostly self sufficient (California and New York with NYC come to mind), resources aren't distributed evenly and in some cases would have to share resources like we share the water from the Colorado river with everybody else upstream of it.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: September 30, 2016, 03:22:44 pm »

I'd like to see a free-for-all between the states. Colorado has quite a few ICBMs and national air force facilities, could be enough to blitz the yuppies and challenge the decaying easterners...

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: September 30, 2016, 03:26:01 pm »

I'd like to see a free-for-all between the states. Colorado has quite a few ICBMs and national air force facilities, could be enough to blitz the yuppies and challenge the decaying easterners...

The problem is that most of the soldiers manning those facilities are not from Colorado. Will the base commander at Minot follow the orders from Bismarck to launch airstrikes and missiles on his family and friends in Wisconsin? Even if he does pass on the command, will his troops follow it?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:29:35 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 1249