Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392163 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #4425 on: September 19, 2016, 07:44:13 pm »

@misko27
Yeah.
America hasn't declared war since WW2.
All the wars since then - which weren't technically wars, but they really were- were defying a incredibly simple and clear role of our Congress.
Are you familiar with the War Powers Resolution? It seems to imply otherwise, especially given that it is seen by many (including every single President since it was passed), as overstepping the bounds Congress has on control of the Military and dipping into unconstitutional status.

The President commands the military and can reasonably be assumed to be allowed to do anything that is legal. Congress has the legal right to declare wars. You can't say "well really they were wars", since you don't have the right to define war. If the constitution defined wars to be "anything that involves fighting people", you'd be right that it would be unconstitutional. But it doesn't. The Constitution doesn't define war at all. Congress does.  The Supreme Court had three oppurtunities to decide the legality of the war in Vietnam, and refused each time.

Congress has checks on Presidential power in this area, but very few are automatic (one of them being, of course, the War Powers Resolution). These checks include Congresses legal right to decide how to fund the military, which it could obviously use to put a stop to any behavior it did not approve of but didn't wish to declare illegal for whatever reason.

Let me put this a different way: why would Congress shy away from declaring that the President had overstepped his bounds if they didn't approve? Up until recently, Congress jealously guarded its power. They've approved of it in the past, which, as I said in my earlier post, is essentially the same as writing a law that makes it so unless there is some specific reason why they need to do it explicitly.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: September 19, 2016, 08:34:02 pm »

Robo-Hillary is still being dogged by those e-mails.

We'll have to see what comes of it, though as far as Chaffetz goes I'm little wary - he seems to talk a big game and then fail to follow it up.

Yeesh, are they so desperate that they'll snatch some wild rumor off the net and try to pin Hillary with it? Apparently.....

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/forrest-lucas-trump-interior-secretary-228364

We all knew Trump is a corporate shill, but this really takes the cake. Initially I wasn't sure what the big deal was about Interior Seceretary and when I read the details on Interior Secertary, I was like 'that's just... wrong...'.

And yeah, Clinton's lead has been narrowing and is starting to resemble a more competitive election.

Clinton is going to win California anyway (big liberal state, big hispanic population...), so maybe I'll vote Clinton anyway to boost her popular vote up by an ever so tiny amount.

Going to have to see how things go in the first debate next week.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:38:24 pm by smjjames »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: September 19, 2016, 08:49:53 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty annoying being in California. Your vote matters, technically, but practically speaking it really doesn't. If you're democrat, your vote doesn't really feel like it matters because California is going to go blue pretty much 100% barring some earth shattering development. And maybe even then.

If you're anything else, you have a 0% chance of influencing the election.

This despite the fact that there are more Republicans voting in California than many of the red states.

Seriously. Romney got 4,839,958 votes in 2012. That's about as many as he got in Texas, and several times more than he got in most red states.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4428 on: September 19, 2016, 09:02:10 pm »

Californians in general are ignored by both parties. A Democrat wouldn't flip over a Californian baby drowning in a quarter-inch of water, because that's not going to earn him any more electoral votes. I don't even think there are any notable purple districts -- they're either blue or red.

That said, every single Californian needs to go to the polls and vote for Prop 58. That will overturn a legislative travesty. It was based on racist, outdated teaching methods when it was proposed in the first place. It mandates the most obscene treatment of students learning English, loading them with a full class load and impossibly-fast English teaching, stranding them in an incomprehensible classroom where they have to keep up with fully fluent English Speakers while their L1 (*first language) atrophies.

I will see Ron Unz in Hell if I have to carry him there myself. Prop 58 will bring him one step closer to the gates.

I want to know this desiccated prideful old bastard will see his every labor fall into ruin. Ideally he will live a long and fruitless life of contemplation, but I would settle for him committing suicide in disgrace after his magnum opus is repealed.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:47:32 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: September 19, 2016, 09:25:42 pm »

What's an N1? Though that thing happened before I was old enough to vote.

And yeah, prospects for votes mattering are a bit better for local or Governor races. Although I REALLY wish my congressional district wasn't a safe republican seat :P

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: September 19, 2016, 09:56:54 pm »

Although I REALLY wish my congressional district wasn't a safe republican seat :P

One day, one day we'll have proportional representation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: September 19, 2016, 11:09:59 pm »

N1 being native language I assume.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: September 19, 2016, 11:34:07 pm »

N1 being native language I assume.

Yeah, typo.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: September 19, 2016, 11:52:24 pm »

(Not a prediction, just a guess) Hillary Clinton will lose because of her connection with Obama and her sex. The racists and sexists will come out of the closet.
Out of the closet? Dude, they're having alt-right pride parades, yelling "We're Great! We Hate! Get Over It!"
Obama started them peeking out of the closet, and then Trump has just been like a magnet.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: September 20, 2016, 12:29:34 am »

Trump getting rid of bribery and cronyism? You've earned a sensible chuckle, use it as you see fit.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: September 20, 2016, 12:55:17 am »

I cannot bother to argue with someone who, as far as I can tell, hasn't actually posted anything in this thread concerning the election in good faith.

I find it quite funny you'd say that when the two posts of mine you've quoted there are some of the few ones in the last couple of pages that are even discussing things that will affect this election. If it isn't tangents about government/voting systems that don't exist and likely never will in America, or Obama's favourability, or even eating babies, it's the perils of unchecked executive power. Navel-gaze all you like when there's nothing to report, but don't attack me for posting relevant news just because it's not good for your preferred candidate.

(Not a prediction, just a guess) Hillary Clinton will lose because of her connection with Obama and her sex. The racists and sexists will come out of the closet.

And honestly, this is ridiculous. Surely I'm not the only one who has seen multiple videos (typically put up on places like 'College Humour', as if it's funny and not so very, very sad) of college student after college student being asked why they support Hillary, and them all answering 'Because she's a woman. It's time for a woman president'.

I mean, christ, I support Trump but it has nothing to do with what's between his legs. It's because I think he's the only chance you have of sorting out some of the corruption, bribery and cronyism that has totally infested the D.C. system.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong and Hillary will be great at fixing that. She might use some of that money she got from the Saudis or Goldman Sachs to set up a study on how to do it efficiently or something.

Is this the same trump who's openly bribed people? Are there two trumps in the race?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: September 20, 2016, 01:00:43 am »

'Because she's a woman. It's time for a woman president'.
Hillary Clinton has a few low information supporters.  She has a well informed supporters too.
Donald Trump has a few racist and sexist supporters.  He has some non-racist and sexist supporters too.

The difference?  Hillary Clinton herself knows what the hell she is talking about.  Donald Trump is himself an idiot, a bigot or both.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong and Hillary will be great at fixing that. She might use some of that money she got from the Saudis or Goldman Sachs to set up a study on how to do it efficiently or something.

After an investigation of Clinton that left no stone unturned we had this:
"At the end of the day, the case itself was not a cliff-hanger; despite all the chest-beating by people no longer in government, there really wasn't a prosecutable case."

Oh but I'm really sure that the people who said it was a sure thing she would go to prison for the emails couldn't be lying to you now! /s

Is this the same trump who's openly bribed people? Are there two trumps in the race?

If you dont like your Trump, wait half an hour and he will change all his views.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:02:59 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: September 20, 2016, 01:53:08 am »

Still fairly sure Trump is only rather reckless and spiteful. Himself bigoted? I doubt it highly. He just plays the crowd. Showman, and all that. He's smart, but lacks self-control in the way people of such power often seen to.

On the bright side, America isn't the sole bastion of progress and innovation in the known world, unlike Rome, considering their contact at the time with China.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: September 20, 2016, 01:58:27 am »

Late Rome did not look like bastion of progress or inovation.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1249