Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391410 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically Insane
« Reply #3795 on: September 09, 2016, 02:31:39 pm »

Not incongruent.

The anti-globalist left typically talks about how it exploits people in developing countries.
The anti-globalist right typically talks about how it "steals" jobs from developed economies.

They both have valid points, although the reality is a lot more complicated.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: September 09, 2016, 02:34:40 pm »

I feel like Bernie's trade protectionism came out of a different source though -- anticorporatism as opposed to nationalist sentiment.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that :P

Seriously though, simply not giving a shit about or maybe not even remembering the existence of the millions of Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, etc etc workers you're fucking over in the process of protecting or re-enlarging your piece of the cake - and let's face it, that's what young folks are doing these days - is a form of nationalism as well. Less malicious and more unthinking, but still nationalism. I'd wager a fair sum that anti-corporatism would take entirely different forms if it weren't for this very real economic incentive for anti-corporate agitation.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: September 09, 2016, 02:46:26 pm »

I feel like Bernie's trade protectionism came out of a different source though -- anticorporatism as opposed to nationalist sentiment.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that :P

Seriously though, simply not giving a shit about or maybe not even remembering the existence of the millions of Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, etc etc workers you're fucking over in the process of protecting or re-enlarging your piece of the cake - and let's face it, that's what young folks are doing these days - is a form of nationalism as well. Less malicious and more unthinking, but still nationalism. I'd wager a fair sum that anti-corporatism would take entirely different forms if it weren't for this very real economic incentive for anti-corporate agitation.
Not really the thread for this, but there's a whole huge argument to be had over that. Why is it the responsibility of the developed world to subsidize the Third World into prosperity at the cost of their own citizenry? If we had somehow evolved into a post-capitalist society where we didn't have to have jobs ourselves, I'd be much more onboard with letting the Third World do the heavy lifting (although that itself is problematic and seems even more imperialist to me). But until then, we have a serious problem. Not everyone in the US and Western Europe can be an inventor or creative genius or other "idea jobs". Not even most.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: September 09, 2016, 02:51:43 pm »

Wanna make a thread? Sounds like a fruitful field of discussion, if we can restrain ourselves from just yelling at each other :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: September 09, 2016, 02:53:20 pm »

... didn't that quoted bit, like. Answer the question posed in response to it?

E: Actually, now it feels like that was an amazing example of exactly what the quoted bit said. If that was intentional, bravo.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:56:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: September 09, 2016, 02:58:59 pm »

Also, MNCs will only operate where the labor is ch eapest; once labor costs rise enough, they'll leave, and they have no incentive to leave the QoL infrastructure intact.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: September 09, 2016, 02:59:42 pm »

Trump giving a speech right now, promising to repeal the Johnson Amendment because the Christian God should be leading our government and Christians are the most decent and selfless people in the world.

I'm guessing he's never heard of the Taiping Civil War.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: September 09, 2016, 03:28:43 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrfE9I8_hs

What is this meme? Trade is a major part of his platform. Are people surprised, or trying to imply implications, because he's mentioned our biggest trading partner a lot over the many months he's been campaigning?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: September 09, 2016, 03:31:33 pm »

... didn't that quoted bit, like. Answer the question posed in response to it?

E: Actually, now it feels like that was an amazing example of exactly what the quoted bit said. If that was intentional, bravo.
It's kinda difficult to articulate an anti-globalist POV without coming off at least partially nationalist (unless you delve into pure Marxist critiques of "exploitation of the global worker class by the wealthy"). Wasn't meant to be nationalist so much as pragmatist.

I mean, seriously...what is a country supposed to do if a quarter of their citizens are unemployed because the jobs that that quarter would normally fill have been offshored? And the loss of income tax revenues makes it doubly harder to support a social welfare system to keep those unemployed in a decent standard of living? It's unsustainable without some new sector of the economy arising (the way that the boom of IT and biotech helped soften the blow of losing basic manufacturing for the US). If somebody invents cheap energy and viable space travel, then hey sure...the rest of the world can build stuff and keep it running, and we'll all go colonize space. But until then, we have a problem.

In my mind, "nationalist" critiques of globalism seek to assign blame to the workers. Rhetoric about stolen jobs, "unfair" competition, etc. I have no problem with the guys in Chennai or Bangalore who are filling the IT jobs that used to be here. It's not their fault. They're good people who just want a good standard of living for themselves and their families, and they're typically hard workers. But their ability to work for $6/hr is directly harming my ability to make a decent salary. Or even keep my job. I don't see rational self-concern in this instance as selfish, racist or nationalist.

Rightist rhetoric on this pits workers against workers (and sometimes governments), while leftist rhetoric pits workers against employers (and sometimes governments). It's that "sometimes governments" where you see the weird marriage of the two, as in opposing free trade deals or regulatory things like opposing H1B visas.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 03:33:31 pm by RedKing »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3805 on: September 09, 2016, 03:42:52 pm »

See, what we need to do is fix globalism by forcing all nations to provide a decent standard of living and a planetary minimum wage. The best part is that Europe and the USA are still hegemonic enough to possibly force that through, and both would benefit. As a side effect, we'd help the entire planet thrive.

At least until the next-wave automation hits the markets and puts 60% of the planet out of a job.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: September 09, 2016, 03:49:40 pm »

See, what we need to do is fix globalism by forcing all nations to provide a decent standard of living and a planetary minimum wage.

And how should they force everyone to do it? Militarily?

"Enact minimum wage, or die!" :P
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: September 09, 2016, 03:55:53 pm »

See, what we need to do is fix globalism by forcing all nations to provide a decent standard of living and a planetary minimum wage.

Once we're all trying to work in the ashes and rubble of the world, it's pretty easy to get great strides in the standard of living. We just need to tank the standard and population levels first.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

saigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: September 09, 2016, 05:08:19 pm »

We could turn the UN into a federation of some sort. Make countries into provinces.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: September 09, 2016, 05:32:09 pm »

See, what we need to do is fix globalism by forcing all nations to provide a decent standard of living and a planetary minimum wage. The best part is that Europe and the USA are still hegemonic enough to possibly force that through, and both would benefit. As a side effect, we'd help the entire planet thrive.

At least until the next-wave automation hits the markets and puts 60% of the planet out of a job.
Nah see, then we're "oppressing their beautiful unique cultures."
Or more fairly, "Interfering with other countries is bad!".  Maybe even followed by "Well, uh, I guess we shouldn't let companies do that" while continuing to buy the products which undermine our morality and our workforce.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 1249