Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390894 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically Insane
« Reply #3735 on: September 07, 2016, 07:02:50 pm »

Dunno, Kurds will probably be pretty content if they can have their own country.
Problem is, they can't. America is allowing Turks to bomb the crap out of the Kurds as we speak, both in Syria as well as in Iraq (yesterday Turkey bombed Kurds in Iraq)
The only thing this can lead to, is anti-american sentiment with a betrayed ally.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: September 07, 2016, 07:04:26 pm »

IDK, the kurds seem to still like us and none of this is particularly new, it's just episodes of a long standing saga.  If they were gonna get radicalized I think they would have done it 20 years ago.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: September 07, 2016, 07:08:13 pm »

but it is new. Turkey went from artillery shelling a few PKK kurds that got to close to the Turkish border per year, to actually invading Syria with ground troops, daily bombing and artillery shelling them, and flying out all the way to Iraq to bomb non-PKK, YPG Kurds there.

America made a 180 within a week, going from 'please don't endanger US troops that support YPG / stop bombing YPG' to 'oh okay Turkey, it's allright, go ahead and genocide the Kurds, as long as you also fight IS'.

I can't imagine that not going to have a blowback in anti-american sentiment.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: September 07, 2016, 07:12:18 pm »

Are they flying sorties in Rojava proper and Iraq too? I thought they'd just gone into Syria to replace the YPG west of the Euphrates.

Well look at that. At least they're fighting ISIS too.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:25:13 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: September 07, 2016, 07:23:04 pm »

The US has a deep seated requirement to stab someone like the Kurds in the back every few years. Nothing new.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: September 07, 2016, 07:39:47 pm »

The US spent basically the whole Cold War passively helping Turkey try to exterminate the Kurds (what people don't remember is that the modern founder of Kurdish nationalism was an out and out communist until the Cold War ended).

In this new era of no friends, no enemies, only economy who even knows if the Kurds will tolerate the US?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: September 07, 2016, 07:46:41 pm »

Quite aware of that. There's lots of Kurd (and Turkish) communists in the Netherlands who fled from Turkey when Turkey banned communism 20-30 years ago.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3743 on: September 07, 2016, 09:21:36 pm »

"Trump: I've built a great company."
Sure you have. Out of parts pre-assembled in China.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: September 07, 2016, 09:34:09 pm »

Naaah. If that'd happened it probably would have done better than it has :V

That's good ol' american puffery right there, not anything imported from china. Europe or the russian part of asia, maybe, but not china.

E: Though I now have the most amazing mental image of china offering trump asylum after his supporters turn on him for not pulling through on any number of issues...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:40:22 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: September 07, 2016, 10:08:45 pm »

Wouldn't be anything new for him, either. It was Chinese firms/individuals that bailed him out of at least one of his bankruptcies. Anyone voting for Trump on the (asinine) principle of "Good businessman = good political leader" has pretty clearly never read a word about his history as a businessman. All he's good at is finding new suckers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: September 08, 2016, 03:47:48 am »

Noted warlock Nate Silver

Noted indeed.

Needless to say, I don't have much faith in any odds he's providing. Petty as it is, I still can't help but chuckle when I see him referred to as Nate Bronze.

Minor quibble, but I don't think it's entirely fair to blame him for Kasich and Cruz stepping down after Indiana when they were both vowing to fight to the convention back then.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: September 08, 2016, 04:01:50 am »

The hate-on Trump supporters have developed for Nate Radium is completely irrational. Five Thirty-Eight aggregates historic and polling data to make predictions. These predictions tend to be shockingly accurate (99/100 state picks in the last two Presidential elections) because they are purged of human bias through this methodology, and in terms of probability the most likely thing to happen will most often be the thing that does happen.

The only reason he's been targeted is because he's a respected pollster who didn't buy into the Trump hype and accurately, yes, accurately said that Trump had low odds of winning the primary. Which was completely true. If there's any cognitive fallacy that really grinds my gears, it's the idea that probability and accuracy are opposed to one another. Unlikely things happen every day, and they have to happen, by definition.

Every event in the thermodynamic void of our reality must have all possibilities divided into percentages that ultimately add up to 100%. If something has a one in a million chance of happening then that one is required to happen alongside the other nine hundred-thousand nine hundred and ninety-nine. If it doesn't, then those weren't the actual odds. You don't get to turn around and say "Ah-ha! Conspiracy! Lies! Idiocy! The alleged "one" is clearly the most likely event to happen, because it did happen! Get fucked haters!". That is not how anything works.

Trump was among the least likely winners of the primary; that he won the primary does not alter this. If the cold indifference of the cosmos crushes us underfoot and Trump wins 320 electoral votes it is not proof of anything either, except that fire and darkness shall reign triumphant over the hearts of man for FOUR MORE YEARS
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: September 08, 2016, 04:13:37 am »

Former US ambassador to Russia, current shill:
https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/773566311939006464
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: September 08, 2016, 10:46:07 am »

I don't think probabilities work exactly like that, MSH, you're describing without clarifying priors. "If soandso is something, then the odds of otherthing are x per y events" is different from "if y events take place, then the odds of otherthing are 100%" and different from a range of other types of probabilistic statements of odds.

In 100 trillion trillion years the odds of me flipping a coin non-stop and having it land on edge, begin rotating rapidly, and transforming into a singing and dancing frog wearing a tophat may be nonzero, but that prior assumption implies the universe will last for 100 trillion trillion years and that I will be flipping a coin the whole time and that my understanding of the physics involved are sound.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 1249