Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390942 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically Insane
« Reply #3721 on: September 07, 2016, 11:44:19 am »

It's interesting that the Clinton bump finally wavered, and that it really was true that Trump could just stop screaming at national heroes for a little while and his polls would recover. Although... from what I've heard, its not so much that Trump has gained (he hasn't), but that Clinton has fallen. Clinton's biggest advantage is that she has a much higher ceiling of support (not an amazing ceiling by any standard, but she's been over 50% at least) then Trump, but she can also lose a lot more than Trump probably could at this stage (I mean, anyone still supporting Trump at this point will probably continue to support him unless he manages to reach some new low).

When is the first debate? I'm willing to bet that whatever happens there will dramatically shake up the race (or just lower opinions of all involved).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: September 07, 2016, 12:04:27 pm »

Noted warlock Nate Silver

Noted indeed.

Needless to say, I don't have much faith in any odds he's providing. Petty as it is, I still can't help but chuckle when I see him referred to as Nate Bronze.

Do you think his methodology is flawed, or do you think he's overlooking factors that make this election season unpredictable?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #3723 on: September 07, 2016, 12:15:01 pm »

If you place all the scandals of the Clinton family on her, rather than taking a look at which one's are Bill's, you can find some. Sorta. Squint a little.

The whole issue that makes this thing contentious is a lack of hard evidence. Basically everything is circumstantial or hearsay.

And she's been investigated SO MUCH.  There's whole groups dedicated to digging up dirt on her.  The fact that the worst they can find is "She did some stupid but common stuff with email, for which she had understandable reasons and which was even suggested by other politicians (i.e. Colin Powell)" is pretty telling. 

If there really was worse stuff than 'doesn't understand IT all that well' and 'has fundraisers with large corporations like every other politician currently running or serving", it would have been found.  Nothing has been found. Which isn't to say that Clinton's a hardcore ethicist - she's a politician, no worse or better than anyone else including all the presidents.

Well, probably better than some presidents, no one has even suggested she's illegally sending weapons to our enemies.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: September 07, 2016, 12:49:45 pm »

And despite what some people might say, she isn't a literal traitor. That isn't saying much, but it's more than can be said for Richard Nixon and there are still people who like him.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: September 07, 2016, 12:56:45 pm »

Trump 2016 intensifies.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: September 07, 2016, 01:07:32 pm »

Noted warlock Nate Silver

Noted indeed.

Needless to say, I don't have much faith in any odds he's providing. Petty as it is, I still can't help but chuckle when I see him referred to as Nate Bronze.

"OMG guyz he was wrong about something, so therefore he's wrong about everything after that"  ::)

Somehow I think if he was predicting a Trump victory, you'd be touting his track record.
Or linking tweets like this.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3727 on: September 07, 2016, 01:36:39 pm »

I think Hillary is playing the long con -- she's letting Trump get ahead a bit so that democrats are more and more committed to stopping him, and therefore voting down ballot. I expect that with a week or two to go, she'll pull out all the stops and release two or three big Trump scandals just in time for them to hit their height on election day.

If she does it right, that's a Democrat sweep of all three branches. That's worth a summer of being called a monster, from her perspective.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: September 07, 2016, 02:22:20 pm »

I don't think the problem is Democrats not voting down ballot, it's that they might potentially fail to vote *up* ballot.

I know a considerable number of Dems and independents who are planning to vote straight ticket (or nearly-straight ticket) at state and local races, but still haven't decided what to do on the Presidential race. Yes, you can argue that letting Trump "catch up" scares people into voting for her, but if she was already set to win a state anyways, I don't that it helps. Victories are based on electoral college votes, not popular vote. Popular vote margins are like "style points".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: September 07, 2016, 04:40:35 pm »

If there really was worse stuff than 'doesn't understand IT all that well' and 'has fundraisers with large corporations like every other politician currently running or serving", it would have been found.  Nothing has been found. Which isn't to say that Clinton's a hardcore ethicist - she's a politician, no worse or better than anyone else including all the presidents.

Actually I would say it does show that she is a hardcore ethicist.

Hillary Clinton has a lot of conflicts of interest.  But thanks to the endless investigations we know that she has never in all these conflicts of interests ever dabbled in corruption.  The Clinton foundation takes money from a Saudi prince is a conflict of interest.  What makes it corruption is if the Saudis get any quid pro quo.  If any corruption existed they would be printing that instead of printing about how Clinton thought it would be in US foreign interests to help a nobel peace prize winning humanitarian keep working (not that they put it that way).

I think Hillary is playing the long con -- she's letting Trump get ahead a bit

What concrete steps would she be taking if that were here plan?

It's interesting that the Clinton bump finally wavered, and that it really was true that Trump could just stop screaming at national heroes for a little while and his polls would recover.

Well that and front page coverage of a new "scandal".
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: September 07, 2016, 05:13:09 pm »

So Trump's latest plan to defeat ISIS is to give his generals a 30-day deadline to come up with a plan.

What exactly is he implying? Is he going to kick generals out of the military when they fail to deliver in 30 days a war-ending strategy they've been trying to come up with for more than a decade?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: September 07, 2016, 05:20:27 pm »

If we're giving Trump credit, it's a way to force more and more extreme scorched earth tactics. The "kill everybody" option is always on the table, and will therefore be selected by default if a time limit is established.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: September 07, 2016, 05:28:10 pm »

We technically have a war-ending strategy already, if ending the war is defined as "ISIS no longer controls any territory." It consists mostly of letting the kurds and the governments of Iraq and Syria (also Turkey now, though they're mostly attending to their own objectives, namely "wipe out the kurds along the border") fight them on the ground while we give them air support, and isn't likely to finish for another year at the very least, but barring ISIS suddenly getting Chinese sponsorship it will eventually lead to their defeat.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:31:10 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: September 07, 2016, 06:53:48 pm »

Yeah, and then we can get to deal with Kurds taking their place, desillusioned by the treachery of it's US allies who left them to die to the Turks.

TBH I rather have IS terrorism to fear. Kurds are way more organized.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: September 07, 2016, 06:58:38 pm »

Dunno, Kurds will probably be pretty content if they can have their own country.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 1249