Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1389634 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #3435 on: August 29, 2016, 09:14:27 pm »

*yawn*
You're right, what's a few civil liberties and rule of law anyways? It's not like those were *real* Americans.

I'm sure Hillary will be very Lincolnesque.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: August 29, 2016, 09:17:01 pm »

But please, tell me more of this "right side of history" you were talking about? The end justifies the means, I suppose?

60,000 enlistments for the Union army vs a third that number for the CSA?

And mainiac, what I was referring to is that I've seen more Confederate flags per square mile in western Maryland than I have anywhere this side of Stone Mountain. Could have something to do with Baltimore being placed under martial law despite the state assembly having voted against secession. Followed by the mayor of Baltimore, the city council, the police commissioner, and the Board of Police being placed under arrest without charges.

Western Maryland was diehard union territory back in the 1860s.  It was eastern maryland (where I live, yay!) that was rebel scum.  The confederate sympathies of appalachia have nothing to do with how they felt back in the day it's something that has changed over the past 150 years.  Just like how West Virginia, East Tennessee, inland Texas and backcountry Alabama and Mississippi were all union strongholds but these days love their stars and bars.
Way to completely miss the point. Bravo.

:slowclap
[/quote]

After a cursory search, it would appear most of those who were arrested were suspected of having Confederate sympathies, mostly among militiamen and officials, or who actively supported the Confederacy. The only arrests I can find out about that seem truly objectionable were the arrests of people who simply criticized the Federal government ignoring the ruling that they had no right to suspend habeus corpus.

Given that a large proportion of the state seemed to have Confederate sympathies, they were in a strategically vital position, and there had already been bouts of violence between local rioters and soldiers the imposition of martial law actually seems rather reasonable to me.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: August 29, 2016, 09:20:56 pm »

*yawn*
You're right, what's a few civil liberties and rule of law anyways? It's not like those were *real* Americans.

I'm sure Hillary will be very Lincolnesque.

Yes, in fact the intent of me yawning was to say that I am hostile towards habeas corpus.  And I thank you for reminding people that mainiac is just the handle that I, Sidney Blumenthal, use online.  I, Sidney Blumenthal, fully intend to tell Hillary Clinton that she needs to suspend habeas corpus as soon as possible.  You have understood my yawn in every detail.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: August 29, 2016, 09:29:03 pm »

You're doing it again. That thing you supposedly hate.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: August 29, 2016, 09:47:40 pm »

Not understanding?  Honestly... I wouldn't say I hate this.  Although I sure am tired of you repeating that.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 09:50:25 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: August 29, 2016, 09:53:29 pm »

After a cursory search, it would appear most of those who were arrested were suspected of having Confederate sympathies, mostly among militiamen and officials, or who actively supported the Confederacy. The only arrests I can find out about that seem truly objectionable were the arrests of people who simply criticized the Federal government ignoring the ruling that they had no right to suspend habeus corpus.

Given that a large proportion of the state seemed to have Confederate sympathies, they were in a strategically vital position, and there had already been bouts of violence between local rioters and soldiers the imposition of martial law actually seems rather reasonable to me.
So arresting someone without charge is okay if they're potentially political dissident...
But if a black man is accosted after committing a crime, it's racism.  Got it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: August 29, 2016, 09:54:24 pm »

So arresting someone without charge is okay if they're potentially political dissident...

*grunts*
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: August 29, 2016, 09:55:30 pm »

When did this happen?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: August 29, 2016, 09:56:26 pm »

1861 and 2016 IIRC.

Edit: So Rolan7, just to clarify
Fighting a war against people who knowingly and proudly committed treason is tyranny but extrajudicial murder of innocent black men is totes mccoy?

(I know you didn't say that but it's an interpretation no more absurd then what you just did to Grim Portent).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:00:00 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: August 29, 2016, 10:01:58 pm »

Look the USA LOVES to arrest people without trials. It is one of their favorite past times.

Does it matter that they often have no REAL reason to do it?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: August 29, 2016, 10:10:07 pm »

1861 and 2016 IIRC.

Edit: So Rolan7, just to clarify
Fighting a war against people who knowingly and proudly committed treason is tyranny but extrajudicial murder of innocent black men is totes mccoy?

(I know you didn't say that but it's an interpretation no more absurd then what you just did to Grim Portent).
I don't mind this because you did point out that I didn't say the thing

But I think that's more of a stretch.  Some people (you) *seem* okay with *suspected* Confederate sympathizers getting arrested *without charge*.  Which implies there wasn't proper evidence.

And yet people (you) get up in arms when someone gets approached "aggressively" by police, after committing a crime, and he happens to be a black man.

That just seems kinda hypocritical.  Why is extrajudicial police action okay when it targets potential sympathizers of a defeated rebellion, but arresting someone who apparently committed a crime is racism?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: August 29, 2016, 10:12:52 pm »

You took some random cherrypicked bullshit and told him to answer to it.  How about I demand you justify the death of Trayvon Martin?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: August 29, 2016, 10:14:41 pm »

More that if there's evidence you are planning to or are actively engaging in activities intended to undermine military actions in the middle of a war it's reasonable grounds for arrest. An example I would use would be the Baltimore rioters, who threw cobblestones at a regiment passing through the city and were fired upon in return, or the Mayor of Baltimore and the states Governor collapsing railway bridges to prevent Union soldiers passing through Baltimore. Or the later attempt of the Maryland Assembly to have federal troops be removed from the state entirely. Or the physician Richard Steuart who provided horses and medicine to the Confederacy, though he was never arrested and remained at large in the state for the duration of the war, presumably receiving shelter from other southern sympathizers.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: August 29, 2016, 10:15:31 pm »

How about I posit to you than red equals a punch in the sense of self-worth?

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: August 29, 2016, 10:16:42 pm »

You took some random cherrypicked bullshit and told him to answer to it.  How about I demand you justify the death of Trayvon Martin?
Could you replace that with Rekia Boyd? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Rekia_Boyd More people will sympathize.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 1249