Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392296 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #3015 on: August 18, 2016, 01:20:45 am »

I think the Republicans are far too entrenched in literally every single other area of government besides the presidential level for that for its death to be playsible any time soon.

Well it is actually plausible, because a sustained 5% swing against a major party is basically the death knell, because of winner-take-all elections.

It's "expected" that either party will get some swing back in the long run, but that's not at all guaranteed. The thing about a "swing back" is that it actually requires you to embrace the values of the center and the other side. e.g. Democrats embrace free market, tough on crime, etc rhetoric to pull themselves back to the center.

But to be honest at this stage the Republicans have become so radicalized that the very idea of them hewing to center, or saying anything to appeal to e.g. blacks and hispanics without sound cripplingly patronizing is almost laughable. You don't win back votes by doubling-down on extremism.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:25:44 am by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: August 18, 2016, 01:38:57 am »

Unfortunately, since at least 2008 that's not the lesson that the GOP has taken away from lost elections.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: August 18, 2016, 01:39:41 am »

I think it's pretty clear what Trump's master plan is here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He just has a burning desire to return to the 80s.

The scary thing to me now is that we get a 2nd resurgence of Tea Party-like elements, regardless of whether Trump wins or loses, that guts the remaining strong points of the GOP and the Republicans become mostly represented by their most extreme elements. That or Russians I guess. Truth truly is stranger than fiction.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:42:07 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: August 18, 2016, 02:27:53 am »

Yeah, but if the only ones left are the angry extremists, it's not the Republican Party anymore. If all the pro-business fiscal conservatives have moved on to somewhere else, then what's left is a rump party on the fringe of American politics. Might still bear the Republican name, but be as relevant as the Whigs in 1860 (who had emigrated en masse to the new Republican Party, or to the Know Nothing Party).

Meanwhile, maybe the mainstream Republicans will constitute a new party, or form a centrist/conservative faction of the Democrats (which would potentially have a lot more weight than the progressive wing and tilt the Dems to the right, causing the left wing to cleave off and form a new party).

Or maybe Trump's supporters will rise up en masse after Hillary "steals" the election, and be eradicated by the US military, and the Republican party can return to its normal backwards-but-not-insane ways.

EDIT: Now if Trump wins.....yeesh. Yeah, his knuckledraggers will run the GOP and likely institute a return to the Jacksonian spoils system. And there will be a great thunder, and lo, I will behold the broken seal.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:30:42 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: August 18, 2016, 03:58:52 am »

Attila is born!
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: August 18, 2016, 04:48:46 am »

Another part of me suddenly finds that russian connection even more explicable than it previously was, after wondering about the above.

Wow... that's actually like a legit concern.  WTF has this world come to?

They're apparently being careful with the information I guess, and it does cause concern.
The CIA have killed for less, it's a miracle really that Trump is still alive after the first leak about the Saudi Base. I had kinda expected him to disappear before he got a real sensitive info briefing. Then again, I guess that would throw the US into massive rioting if not outright civil war. Maybe that's why they let him live.

If he really is an FSB plant with as mission to gather top secret briefing intel, I can only say, well played.
It would kinda explain why Trump doesn't seem too bothered by the unfavourable polls. Mission already accomplished.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:23:45 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: August 18, 2016, 06:54:17 am »

Also expect to see the GOP pull the ripcord and desert Trump in droves, and funnel their money to down-ballot races.
According to PEC, this is the reason that one Republican guy announced his run last week:

This is where Evan McMullin, who even political junkies may not know, comes in. McMullin stepped down as chief policy director of the House Republican caucus to run for President. He’s an insider. I’m certain he is not running because he expects to become President. Instead, he’s probably trying to give Republican voters a reason to turn out. If he can get even a small number of Republican voters to show up who otherwise wouldn’t, that might be enough to save a seat. Increase that, and he could put a sizable dent in Democratic gains.

To put it quantitatively: an increase of 1% in the GOP vote share nationally translates to about 6 House seats*. McMullin would only need to make a modest showing in marginal districts to make an impact.

Mind you I haven't heard anything at all from the guy sinced he announced his candidacy, so it might just be a flop.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: August 18, 2016, 10:00:18 am »

The problem is he is nobody. You would need a big name like Romney or McCain
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: August 18, 2016, 10:19:25 am »

His new team seems to be embracing the 'Rabbit races the Tortoise' parable to heart and embracing the slow but steady Tortoise (vs the lazy rabbit who took a nap when he thought he was ahead) because his new campaign chair has said that she wants to (or would rather) lag behind in the polls. Time will tell if that's crazy genius strategy or just cray cray.

Also, despite what the pundits say, Trump is being so sexist with the 'she doesn't have the physical stamina to be president', uh-huh. and being Seceretary of State for four years doesn't qualify? Pretty sure being Seceretary of State is on par with being President as far as stamina goes.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:24:22 am by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: August 18, 2016, 10:32:30 am »

It is only a matter of time until the return of the menstruation jokes, oh, I mean the "whatever" jokes. Then the campaign will have truly started.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: August 18, 2016, 11:04:32 am »

Part of me wants to go "what is menopause" to that, but a different part of me is tapping that part on the shoulder and reminding it we're talking about a republican candidate, here. Grotesque ignorance of female biology is to be expected.

Either that or they think clinton's báthory reincarnated or somethin' and is somehow still going through that sort of thing. Have they been reporting on mysterious disappearances of young virgin women along clinton's campaign trail? Kinda' like it'd actually be something you'd hear on a particularly deranged talk radio episode, really...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: August 18, 2016, 11:09:27 am »

mysterious disappearances of young virgin women
...or young women's virginities...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: August 18, 2016, 11:33:34 am »

Man, if they were managing to collect enough blood to fill up bathtubs through that method, I'm pretty sure it'd be on the news. It would have been hard to miss those headlines.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: August 18, 2016, 12:41:42 pm »

Virgins only bleed if you are unarousing... clintons don't have that problem.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 1249