Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392144 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #2520 on: August 10, 2016, 03:02:21 am »

Could they swap Trump for, say, Bush Jr. or are the terms limited to absolute 2 even if theres someone else in office in between?  ::)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: August 10, 2016, 03:03:40 am »

The 2-term limit is for life.

Although I really don't know what you mean.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: August 10, 2016, 03:06:08 am »

The 2-term limit is for life.

Although I really don't know what you mean.

Right. I was supposed to ask whether the terms are limited to consecutive(such as in Russia apparently) or absolute two.

John McCain then?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: August 10, 2016, 03:09:19 am »

He's not in office yet anyway.  So the Republican Party can do whatever they want.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2524 on: August 10, 2016, 03:19:50 am »

Honestly I find the panic around a Trump presidency pretty funny, it's not like he's going to start wwiii or something
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: August 10, 2016, 03:22:34 am »

That's not the sort of prediction you can make. People didn't expect ANY of the world wars. Both Hitler and Mussolini were elected after all. Really, the only reason to believe that Trump couldn't be as bad as them is racism - the belief that one of us couldn't do that evil shit - it's only other races that do that.

And if World War could be sparked by a lesser nation, how much more plausible is it that it could be sparked by the election of a complete loon to the leadership of the world's #1 military power? we're actually more ripe for trouble now than at any point in quite a long time.

But "WWIII" is a very limited concept. People under the thumb of ISIS or being invaded by Russians aren't going to be comforted by the proclamation "yeah but it's not literally WWIII!"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:30:44 am by Reelya »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: August 10, 2016, 03:30:50 am »

Honestly I find the panic around a Trump presidency pretty funny, it's not like he's going to start wwiii or something
Um.
It may very well be like he'll start wwiii.
Sigtext

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: August 10, 2016, 03:34:26 am »

I just have to ask, before anyone sets fire to Indiana, throw a tarp over the river or something so it doesn't catch as well. I'm downriver from there technically, and I don't think molten Hoosier pouring down the river would be a pleasant experience, even from 15 miles away.

...I'm upwind you see.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2528 on: August 10, 2016, 03:40:02 am »

That's not the sort of prediction you can make. People didn't expect ANY of the world wars. Both Hitler and Mussolini were elected after all. Really, the only reason to believe that Trump couldn't be as bad as them is racism - the belief that one of us couldn't do that evil shit - it's only other races that do that.
I'm mostly going on Trump being incompetent and the establishment being opposed to him. Unless he goes all-out autocrat after being elected in a bid for attention or something. There's more than enough factors working against him for things to get too bad IMO

But "WWIII" is a very limited concept. People under the thumb of ISIS or being invaded by Russians aren't going to be comforted by the proclamation "yeah but it's not literally WWIII!"
At least no-one's invaded Poland yet

Um.
It may very well be like he'll start wwiii.
How, though? Trade war with China? Something something Russian expansions? There's a big number of worst-cases that need to fall into place for all-out war to be remotely likely, and Trump is only one of many.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: August 10, 2016, 05:11:01 am »

Theorycraft:

1) Poutini invades -nato country- because he is best trump friend never war between US / Euro ever

2) Dump refuses american millitary aid because -nato country- did not pay his empire protection money

3) Rest of nato gets involved without american help because NATO doesnt consist soley of the US

4)russia at war with most of europe is probbably shitty enough to be a world war. The US wasn't even in the first one until 1917.

And that's without even considering his opinions on tactical and strategic nuclear warfare.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2530 on: August 10, 2016, 05:24:59 am »

Oh god I forgot about "why can't we nuke them"

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: August 10, 2016, 06:06:05 am »

Aye. We've got some issues in the states. But one day we might start working some of our issues out. Eventually.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: August 10, 2016, 07:56:28 am »

CM: “Can you tell the Middle East we’re not using nuclear weapons?”

DT: “I would never say that. I would never take any of my cards off the table.”

CM: “How about Europe? We won’t use in Europe?”

DT: “I’m not going to take it off the table for anybody.”

CM: “You’re going to use it in Europe?”

DT: “No! I don’t think so. But…”

You know where you stand with The Donald. He doesn't think he'd nuke Europe. Except for that "but" part, which we never got to hear what the caveat was because he got cut off.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: August 10, 2016, 07:58:09 am »

Don't worry. There's already a top secret agreement between the EU and Canada. If Trump gets elected, Canada will pre-emptively nuke the US just to be safe.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: August 10, 2016, 08:05:40 am »

CM: “Can you tell the Middle East we’re not using nuclear weapons?”

DT: “I would never say that. I would never take any of my cards off the table.”

CM: “How about Europe? We won’t use in Europe?”

DT: “I’m not going to take it off the table for anybody.”

CM: “You’re going to use it in Europe?”

DT: “No! I don’t think so. But…”

You know where you stand with The Donald. He doesn't think he'd nuke Europe. Except for that "but" part, which we never got to hear what the caveat was because he got cut off.
I choose to believe it was followed by a Seinfeld shrug with appropriate background music.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 1249