Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395587 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1920 on: July 31, 2016, 06:33:33 pm »

I was going to explain this but it's less brain-hurty to just quote it:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/31/politics/donald-trump-russia-ukraine-crimea-putin/

Donald Trump said Sunday that Russian President Vladimir Putin won't make a military move into Ukraine -- even though Putin already has done just that, seizing the country's Crimean Peninsula.

"He's not going into Ukraine, OK, just so you understand. He's not going to go into Ukraine, all right? You can mark it down. You can put it down. You can take it anywhere you want," Trump said in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos on "This Week."

"Well, he's already there, isn't he?" Stephanopoulos responded, in a reference to Crimea, which Putin took from Ukraine in early 2014.

Trump said: "OK -- well, he's there in a certain way. But I'm not there. You have Obama there. And frankly, that whole part of the world is a mess under Obama with all the strength that you're talking about and all of the power of NATO and all of this. In the meantime, he's going away. He takes Crimea."

Stephanopoulos interjected to note that Trump has suggested he could recognize Russia's claim on Crimea over Ukraine's -- and Trump didn't back away from that possibility in the interview.

"I'm going to take a look at it," he said. "But you know, the people of Crimea, from what I've heard, would rather be with Russia than where they were. And you have to look at that, also ... just so you understand, that was done under Obama's administration."

Trump added: "And as far as the Ukraine is concerned, it's a mess. And that's under the Obama's administration with his strong ties to NATO. So with all of these strong ties to NATO, Ukraine is a mess. Crimea has been taken. Don't blame Donald Trump for that."

It's all sorts of bizarre, not least the "why are you bringing Russia up with me? It's not my problem" attitude when he's running for President. And again with repudiation of America's strongest allies as "His [Obama's] strong ties to NATO". So Trump is signaling he's going to roll over on Russia and screw Western Europe.
He really works out hard for his Russian campaign funding, isn't he? Although, I imagine that the usual Republican voter base can't be too thrilled with that, so this can backfire on him pretty hard.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: July 31, 2016, 06:36:55 pm »

He really works out hard for his Russian campaign funding, isn't he? Although, I imagine that the usual Republican voter base can't be too thrilled with that, so this can backfire on him pretty hard.
Maybe he just has no fucking clue what is up with Crimea?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: July 31, 2016, 06:38:47 pm »

You're behind the times, Republicans love Russia and Putin now for putting the gays, muslims, and progressives under the boot.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: July 31, 2016, 06:39:08 pm »

I would be surprised if he knew where Crimea is.
I agree in general, it's really not a big deal and he should be able to eat in peace.  And I don't just mean ideally.
Probably shouldn't have tweeted it, though.  That kinda opens it up to criticism, maybe even makes it slightly insulting.
Yeah, I wouldn't even have an opinion about it were it a case of "I saw Mike Pence eating at Chili's omgaw" but he made a specific effort of putting it out there.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: July 31, 2016, 06:43:39 pm »

This still wouldn't explain why he would say that Russia "doesn't plan to invade Ukraine". It's a very weird thing to say, especially for a Republican.

My guess would he that, in a traditionally Russian manner, his curator has told him to say the exact opposite of truth, and that Russia does actually plan to invade Ukraine even more. It would at least explain why Russia has recently started to create new tank armies on the Ukraine's border.
._.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: July 31, 2016, 07:17:50 pm »

At least, that's my take on it.
Take can be your take, but it's still more or less an insult to the place you're visiting, particularly when you're using it as a photo-op. Comfort or not, the message being broadcast is that you don't care enough about the place your visiting to partake of their food. That you'd rather give overt attention to some chain restaurant (i.e. big business, et al) instead of anything that feeds primarily/entirely back into the community. S'not going to make people happy with you.

Honestly, red tribe would catch even more shit about this than blue tribe in any of the red tribe areas. Conservative localities do not fuck around about food, and a politician that won't even eat with you is pretty much the epitome of disconnected muckity-muck. If this had happened in alabama they might have lynched the blighter, and I'm only mostly joking.
My guess is that the food in rural Alabama would be food he was more comfortable with. Red Tribe and Blue Tribe have different tastes after all. And to be fair to his critics, it's also possible that he is choosing to eat there to essentially flip off urban NYC, since urban NYC was never ever in a thousand years going to vote for his candidate anyway, and might make more rural voters like him more for sticking it to those elitist pricks.

I mean, it probably would've been better by going to a southern or country-style local restaurant, but I'm not sure how many of those are, and he might have been trying to signal to corporates, too. *shrug*

Using it as a photo op might not have been the best idea if he was just going for 'need eat', though. Probably a combination of all these factors.
I've had it up to here with your Vampire Apologism ok? You want the real issues? We should be asking why Pence is obviously sheltering a threat to the potential President! Or is it secretly a vampire cult trying to take over the Presidency?!? The plot thickens.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: July 31, 2016, 07:29:38 pm »

Or is it secretly a vampire cult trying to take over the Presidency?!? The plot coagulates.

FTFY
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1927 on: July 31, 2016, 08:23:57 pm »

You're behind the times, Republicans love Russia and Putin now for putting the gays, muslims, and progressives under the boot.
At least they finally realised that the Soviet Union isn't a thing any more
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: July 31, 2016, 08:32:24 pm »

At least they finally realised that the Soviet Union isn't a thing any more
Poor McCain
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: July 31, 2016, 08:55:56 pm »

It's a contractual obligation that America fuck over Western Europe every few decades. Trump 2016!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: July 31, 2016, 09:34:33 pm »

Oh man, that whole Trump's interview is utterly hilarious. It's like a stream of consciousness.

Quote from: this one is among Trump's best hits
she (Hillary) couldn't beat Bernie
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: July 31, 2016, 10:09:56 pm »

You are spot on there...
She's a very dishonest person.  I have one of the great temperaments.  I have a winning temperament.  She has a bad temperament.  She's weak.  We need a strong temperament.
I have a temperament where I know how to win.  She doesn't know how to win.  She's not a winner.  She doesn't know how to win.  Honestly she lies a lot.

Oh good, Trump is a better golfer than Bloomberg.  Good to know!

Also apparently, "apparel" is only 3% of US "product".  Good thing we have Trump to give us this information.  The US textile industry thinks that it's 13 billion or 0.08% of GDP.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:27:48 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: July 31, 2016, 10:31:28 pm »

This is honestly amazing to listen to. Definitely a must-watch interview, assuming you find Trump's bizarre responses as funny as I do.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: July 31, 2016, 10:38:55 pm »

While watching that I was reading this article about Clinton:

Laurie Rubiner, who served as Clinton’s legislative director from 2005 to 2008, recalls being asked to block out two hours on the calendar for “card-table time.” Rubiner had just started in Clinton’s office six weeks before, and she had no idea what card-table time was, but when the boss wants something put on the calendar, you do it.

When the appointed day arrived, Clinton had laid out two card tables alongside two huge suitcases. She opened the suitcases, and they were stuffed with newspaper clippings, position papers, random scraps of paper. Seeing the befuddled look on Rubiner’s face, Clinton asked, “Did anyone tell you what we’re doing here?”

It turned out that Clinton, in her travels, stuffed notes from her conversations and her reading into suitcases, and every few months she dumped the stray paper on the floor of her Senate office and picked through it with her staff. The card tables were for categorization: scraps of paper related to the environment went here, crumpled clippings related to military families there. These notes, Rubiner recalls, really did lead to legislation. Clinton took seriously the things she was told, the things she read, the things she saw. She made her team follow up.

Her process works the same way today. Multiple Clinton aides told me that the campaign’s plan to fight opiate addiction, the first and most comprehensive offered by any of the major candidates, was the direct result of Clinton hearing about the issue on her tour.

It's just mind boggling the difference here.  Someone so eager for new information and someone so apathetic about truth and knowledge but they are neck and neck in the polls...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: July 31, 2016, 10:48:58 pm »

His interview is interesting. It's fascinating how many times he repeats something to himself; self-assurances. "I have a great temperament. I have a winning temperament."

It reminds me of meditative mantras. He's self-assuring himself by repeating something that he would like to be true and in it's own weird way it becomes true in his head. I think it's a little deeper insight of what's going on in his head. People are always saying that he will convince himself of his own lies... I think that's probably why.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 1249