Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1220 1221 [1222] 1223 1224 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394759 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18315 on: January 25, 2017, 02:53:09 pm »

Forget that, he signed the sanctuary city defunding? Here we go.
I remember someone saying that this was the "nuclear option" that no one would ever go to, because it would do unmeasurable amounts of economic damage to the country.

Trump enacted it on the fourth day of his Presidency.

this is going to be a wild ride

California drafting it's citizens for a war of independence yet?

Waiting for our Fort Sumter.

Honestly, it might begin with a move against sanctuary cities.

Yep: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/25/politics/donald-trump-build-wall-immigration-executive-orders/index.html?adkey=bn

Though it remains to be seen how far he and the Republicans will actually go in defunding sanctuary cities. And yes, it was discussed as being the 'nuclear option' because it'll hurt the very economic engines.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18316 on: January 25, 2017, 02:54:50 pm »

There aren't a lot of details on how the sanctuary city thing is going to go down, but this overview seems decent.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18317 on: January 25, 2017, 02:57:02 pm »

The Tea Party Republicans who brought it to near default are still there and could put up some kind of fight.

Could? Yes. Will? I doubt it. They drank the Trump-aide.

On an unrelated note, I get unimaginably furious when I see old people protesting against government healthcare.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18318 on: January 25, 2017, 03:00:13 pm »

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18319 on: January 25, 2017, 03:02:20 pm »

Forget that, he signed the sanctuary city defunding? Here we go.
I remember someone saying that this was the "nuclear option" that no one would ever go to, because it would do unmeasurable amounts of economic damage to the country.

Trump enacted it on the fourth day of his Presidency.

this is going to be a wild ride

California drafting it's citizens for a war of independence yet?

Waiting for our Fort Sumter.

Honestly, it might begin with a move against sanctuary cities.

Californians don't have the guts for it, we're good.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18320 on: January 25, 2017, 05:13:26 pm »

So the thing with sanctuary cities - is the idea before it was like civil disobedience or just some loophole in immigration law that let the cities skirt immigration law in the past?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18321 on: January 25, 2017, 05:40:19 pm »

So the thing with sanctuary cities - is the idea before it was like civil disobedience or just some loophole in immigration law that let the cities skirt immigration law in the past?
The idea is that a law is only as useful as its enforcers

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18322 on: January 25, 2017, 05:58:00 pm »

It was the cities deciding they didn't agree with federal/state policy and refusing to cooperate on that particular issue. Not really civil disobedience, per se, as refusing to accede control on or assist with certain things when higher/other levels of the government sufficiently depart from the locality's (or state's, or whatever) cultural/ethical/etc. mores.

Immigration and firearms* are probably the two most common issues areas/cities/whatever refuse to enforce, but there's others as well. We saw some of it in relation to homosexual marriage and trans issues, recently-ish, ferex; cities refusing to enforce bathroom laws or recognize homosexual marriage, stuff like that. It's not exactly common or pervasive in terms of number of issues that get attention of that sort, but it's pretty far from uncommon, too. Not unusual, basically.

*At least the last time I checked, there's a number of places in the states that have a standing order (or something along those lines) to not cooperate wrt to most enforcement issues with the ATF, or whatever it's called these days.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18323 on: January 25, 2017, 06:02:02 pm »

We have the same thing in the Netherlands for years now, with city mayors of most large cities refusing to stop funding shelter and food programs for illegal immigrants (those immigrants who were denied asylum, but have not left, that is), even though national law forbids them from offering shelter and food.I doubt Trump will manage to stop the sanctuary cities, even if he does cut funding. The cities can always sell off some city property like empty offices and houses to the Chinese and Mexicans to raise funds to bridge 4 years of Trump.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:05:57 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18324 on: January 25, 2017, 06:10:52 pm »

As far as I can tell, "sanctuary city" is a vague label being applied to cities for taking a variety of pro-immigrant actions. Lumping them all together under the same term has been somewhat misleading. Some seem more "civil disobedience" than others.

Seattle, for example, has a "sanctuary city" policy restricting when police can ask someone about their immigration status, so a victim of a crime doesn't have to worry about being deported trying to get help, but police will still enforce illegal immigration laws if they find out through other means. Other jurisdictions seem to be outright telling their police not to cooperate with federal immigration agents, such as refusing to give the federal agents space in local jails to hold illegal immigration suspects.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18325 on: January 25, 2017, 06:22:25 pm »

I suspect we're soon to see a hard dive towards the civil disobedient side by more liberal cities.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18326 on: January 25, 2017, 07:11:16 pm »

So. How much of Trump's actions are the exact things Republicans didn't like Obama doing. Because honestly, I've been wondering that and can't find an exact number :P

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18327 on: January 25, 2017, 07:13:44 pm »

Well, he's already trashed the TPP. Which apparently both parties mostl dont have a problem with ???
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18328 on: January 25, 2017, 07:21:07 pm »

So, Trump may start an investigation into 'voter fraud' as early as tomorrow.

I wonder what will happen if he gets a result back that says there isn't any such fraud and refuses to believe his own mandated investigation? Could be worse though, he might try and fabricate things to support his own 'investigation'. Wonder if he can be impeached in that case.

Understandably, the Democrats and others (okay, it's a Vox article, but I'm not going to link 10 sources for the 'others' portion) are concerned that such an investigation will lead to increased voter suppression, or even Federally mandated suppression.

Curiously, one of his definitions of voter fraud, being registered in two states (which is in itself, not a crime), includes his daughter Tiffany and one of his cabinet members, Steven Mnuchin.

Going deep into the twilight zone, yo, no comment. lol.

Well, he's already trashed the TPP. Which apparently both parties mostl dont have a problem with ???

It was dead on arrival in Congress anyway and even Obama had given up on it. All Trump did was to just formally ditch it.

So. How much of Trump's actions are the exact things Republicans didn't like Obama doing. Because honestly, I've been wondering that and can't find an exact number :P

None yet I don't think. They were complaining about the abuse of executive orders, but they didn't like how Obama was using them to get around Congress, not the use of them alone.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:23:14 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18329 on: January 25, 2017, 08:36:52 pm »

The bizarre story that Trump is apparently using as a reason he is mad about voter fraud.

Slightly more neutral article on the same thing from The Hill (just trying to be respectful to the more conservative Bay12ers, unless I'm disrespecting by trying too hard, if so, sorry.)

As mentioned in the Vox article, there's one problem, it may never have actually happened as the pro-golfer being named here is a German citizen living in the US and not an US citizen and it may literally be a 'I heard from a friend of a friend' ancedote.

Now.... if only we could get the actual ancedote from this friend of Langer's so that we know what had origionally happened.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:39:26 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 1220 1221 [1222] 1223 1224 ... 1249