Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1215 1216 [1217] 1218 1219 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394314 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18240 on: January 25, 2017, 01:04:20 am »

I think these first days, if nothing else, has proven that a moderate conciliatory path is- while not ideal - better than the alternative.
I hope I'll be proven wrong, going forward.
Depends on what you call that path, heh. This last year definitely showed the dems that they have less allies on the far left (so far as the US goes, anyway) than they hoped they did, as well as how little of an actual path there is to connect with some of the groups in that bunch. In a way, it's good, similar to what we were talking about a bit earlier. If you know who you can't get through to, you've worked out a few areas you can divert effort from.

Agreed on most of your points, but I would note that the Republicans are not exactly in a strong position here; they've alienated a huge portion of Americans and they don't have a strong core. They're very vulnerable... which is part of the reason that the Democrat's failures to seize that are all the more disillusioning.
Eh... at this point I'd ask who on the more left spectrum of US politics actually could have seized on that. Again, much of the problem is that the parts of the conservative spectrum that might just be vulnerable, are largely flat out not going to listen to a single bloody thing anyone leftward of 'em is going to say. Period, end statement, if christ physically came down from heaven and showed up at their door with a democrat sticker the door'd be shut. The fracturing's internal, basically, but the barriers against external influence haven't really weakened, and there's still not much opening to leverage anything on that front.

There's absolutely a platform to establish. We've run the Washington Consensus so threadbare that alternatives are barely even considered before being dismissed out of hand. What we need is strong support for localism and in preparation for reinvesting automation output into the communities that automation exists in.

They don't even fucking try.  Last election, you know how many seats that were even attempted to be contested below state level where I live?  Three, maybe four, most on the county level.  There were roughly fifteen spots up for election that I could vote for.  Pretty sure this makes a good amount of people around here tend to vote Republican on the higher levels because why should you vote for a party that doesn't care about you in the slightest?  Plus its even further hard to justify voting for Democrats when they're the ones running the nearby US per capita murder capital.
Over the course of my life pretty much every position in my local area's been contested party wise at some point or another. It's been going down as I've gotten older, though. They've tried sodding constantly, but yeah, effort in certain areas start to decrease when nothing gets positions and there's less and less support -- and more and more ostracization if you dare run blue -- in the area.

Despite that, most of anything in this area that actually does a single goddamn thing for it is being headed by dems or liberal independents, or is getting funding and practical support primarily or entirely from the political efforts thereof. Thing is, basically fuckall of the population notices that, or remembers it when they do. Folks don't tend to run when they know the support's not there and the electorate ungrateful/forgetful as hell besides. Most of the rural areas I've had substantial interaction with are in pretty similar spots, too.

How do you get people to pay attention to the extent you care when not a single one of them gives the least of goddamns about what you're doing, even if it's keeping their life from going entirely instead of just mostly to hell? What's the point of running for office when it's been proved repeatedly doing it with a D besides your name means you might as well have not ran?

It might honestly be a simple gap between their actions and their message. Or rather, they're not converting their (attempted) support of rural communities/etc to actual votes.
Oh, the latter is definitely a major issue so far as that goes. I said it a ways back, but at this point I'd actually accept voodoo curse as a realistic explanation of what the fuck's going on out here in regards to that side of things. Because nothing I've seen over the few decades of my life has managed to get those efforts to stick in the minds of the communities out here, nor has anything I've heard of with regards to folks further afield's efforts. Goddamn nothing. Not trying to do it via news, not word of mouth, not lives impacted, goddamn nothing. Persistence does nothing, vigor does nothing, volume does nothing, nothing does anything. I've seen people talking about somethin' of that sort in literally the previous sentence in a conversation, and then fail to remember the political affiliations involved in the sentence after. And I don't think I've seen a single explanation for it, particularly one that was worth even the most remote of damns. If anyone's even attempted to figure out what the hell's going on there, I haven't noticed it yet.

I'd be entirely unsurprised if you ran the message you popped out on every local station, radio and TV, 24/7 for a few months and still didn't get these communities to notice, never mind actually support you, basically. People who think getting that sort of message through to these communities isn't that hard have not tried to get that sort of message through to these communities, by and large, heh. You can talk at 'em, maybe even get some enthusiasm for a day or two. Week later? When they're at the polls? Heh. That's somethin' different, apparently.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18241 on: January 25, 2017, 01:13:19 am »

I don't see a name change as one of their plans, haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, or it happening anytime soon.

It's certainly a novel (in politics anyway, not business) idea though.

It would be more likely to happen by way of the Dems splitting, one side renaming, and the other withering away.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:14:55 am by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18242 on: January 25, 2017, 01:17:47 am »

I could get behind a rebranding, though, sure. Best choice for an experiment would be to just say to hell with it and change the name to Republican. If yeh can't beat 'em, steal their name, cut 'em open, and take over their lives wearing their corpse as a meatsuit.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:20:08 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18243 on: January 25, 2017, 01:19:40 am »

If you cant beat em, join em?

LOL, that would be hilarious.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18244 on: January 25, 2017, 01:20:17 am »

Well as I said, a simple name change will not work.

We need to create a new party with a different name, and then slowly have literally everybody migrate over to the new party. Keep the same positions (mostly), etc. That way it isn't a rebranding, but an abandoning of the old legacy in favor of the new. Despite it being the same.

Only problem, third parties aren't viable in the FPTP system. There's a reason why the two parties are 'Big Tent' parties. Also why the Republicans absorbed the Tea Party before anybody realized that it happened.

I could get behind a rebranding, though, sure. Best choice for an experiment would be to just say to hell with it and change the name to Republican.

That would be utter trolling, lol.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #18245 on: January 25, 2017, 01:21:59 am »

Lol at all the liberals in this thread forever complaining about "the democrats failed us" and "the DNC failed us." As if "the Democrats" and "the DNC" are some magical fairypowered deity. The Democrats and the DNC are you. The lack of young leaders is you. Doing no more than complaining on the internet about how the people you can't be bothered to help aren't taking the advice you aren't sending them is precisely why "the Democrats" don't represent you. Then, after realizing that it would take actual contribution of effort to effect the course of those actually doing things, the notion of 'just burn it down and build a new one in our image' is presented, since in that imaginary scenario it can be easily imagined that the problems of people not doing anything have been magically solved such that it represents your wishes without you needing to do any work. So yes, let us continue criticizing those who have actually stepped up to do things for not doing them the way we would like them done.

This, by the way, is part of what's afflicting Republicans as well. I see the following sentiment: "Things are as they are and will not change. Politics swings back and forth between democrats and republicans every 8 years but nothing actually changes. Things are always the same and we have no power to change them; it is best not to get too involved since there is no changing them. If only we were given leaders who would do what we wanted or could change things, but alas those do not exist." This is a big part of why Trump was elected; not only in the general, but in the primary. Sure, he talked in apocalyptic terms and acted like he was going to destroy everything. But he acted differently from the rest; as if things were not always the same and things were not static and unchanging forever. This is the basis for the entire set of "establishment politician" rhetoric and why it works so well when you can convince people you're entirely nutters.

So as for the democratic party, what it needs more than anything is engagement and activists. It needs people who care more than just making snarky internet comments about how maybe it should die in a corner; who show up to actually shape the party and what it stands for. Sanders tried to be a start; preaching about a 'movement' and just talking about being merely the start of things to come. Though unfortunately I suspect he ended up spawning more of the former than the latter, thanks in large part to certain conspiracy theories passed around. The Women's March of a few days ago could lead to such change, assuming it continues and turns into an actual political movement; though time is still needed to see if that happens. Likewise, further actions by the regime resulting in further social unrest, either peaceful or not, seems like it has a high possibility of kickstarting things in a direction resulting in the activism and expended effort required for things to not go to badly further than they already have. But if people don't care, no amount of constitutional failsafes and institutions and structural wherewithal will save you. Again, time will tell.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18246 on: January 25, 2017, 01:28:16 am »

Sanders did however, show that the anti-establishment sentiment was actually thoroughly bipartisan, even if the source groups differed.

Edit: And I've voted every time since I was able to, so, I've done my part.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:30:20 am by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18247 on: January 25, 2017, 01:35:55 am »

Well, no shit. It's been hard not to see perpetual government stalemates practically this whole decade. Now that Trump's in, we'll see the stalemate (probably) ended and legislation come to pass.

Unfortunately it will be moving, in my opinion, the wrong direction. Even more unfortunately, it will be harder to drum up populist support for the next candidate on either side since Trump has already provided what they want- government action in any form whatsoever.

I wouldn't think that, Sanders tapped into the populist appeal as readily as Trump. If Trump does badly still, the same populists will be looking for another voice to follow.

I've seen some suggestions around that the Dems should try looking beyond the Beltway.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:38:39 am by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18248 on: January 25, 2017, 01:43:59 am »

Much can happen in four years, so, I wouldn't neccesarily bet on it. Besides, voters might go 'Hey, this populism works, let's choose another populist!'

Did any of us foresee the rise of Trump four years ago?

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18249 on: January 25, 2017, 02:00:43 am »

I wish Donald Trump would come to my house and snap my neck, killing me instantly

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18250 on: January 25, 2017, 02:08:00 am »

@Frumple: We don't really have a lot to talk about if you aren't willing to even consider the possibility of a rural economic program not failing. What I will say in response is that we've already seen clear evidence of basic income revitalizing post-industrial communities, and that as long as this continues to be thought of in terms of returning factories and old jobs instead of establishing a new ruralism, we're not even on the same page of discussion. The whole "fuck em all" line, with or without added "and they deserve it" is kind of a waste of a conversation. We've seen our circumstances, now we must adapt to them.

Much can happen in four years, so, I wouldn't neccesarily bet on it. Besides, voters might go 'Hey, this populism works, let's choose another populist!'

Did any of us foresee the rise of Trump four years ago?
Funny you would mention that.
I wish Donald Trump would come to my house and snap my neck, killing me instantly
Make sure you check the box that you don't need him to vacuum suck your blood or eat your liver with tequila, I've heard that really moves you up the listing fast.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18251 on: January 25, 2017, 02:10:35 am »

Tweet him calling him a bad name, I'm sure he'll send someone round.

Or make you question the intelligence of American voters, whatever.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18252 on: January 25, 2017, 02:13:47 am »

-snip-
Literally 3 million people just went out and protested, on the same day, for the same protest.

If only we had gone out and voted, we might have won... oh wait.  We did.  Friendly reminder that by popular vote we've won 6 out of the 7 elections since Reagan.  The remaining one was an incumbent who lost his original popular vote.  Without the electoral college the Republicans literally wouldn't have gotten ANY of their presidents since Reagan, 28 years ago.  And of course the true power in the US is congress, which is gerrymandered to hell and back and has a huge incumbency advantage.

But sure, if we grassroots up by our bootstraps enough letters to our congressmen, I'm sure everything will go our way.  And of course, the first step is to stop talking about things that we don't like, that'll really motivate political activity.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18253 on: January 25, 2017, 02:32:26 am »

you would have pushed a samely bad candidate, except one with more interests in wars and conflict. but hey, you'd have "won"

that's why the bipolar political system is failing. you're basically waging a civil war and you don't even know.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18254 on: January 25, 2017, 02:36:56 am »

@Frumple: We don't really have a lot to talk about if you aren't willing to even consider the possibility of a rural economic program not failing. What I will say in response is that we've already seen clear evidence of basic income revitalizing post-industrial communities, and that as long as this continues to be thought of in terms of returning factories and old jobs instead of establishing a new ruralism, we're not even on the same page of discussion. The whole "fuck em all" line, with or without added "and they deserve it" is kind of a waste of a conversation. We've seen our circumstances, now we must adapt to them.
MSH, most of my point was that that "adapt to them" is still going to fuck these areas sideways, particularly if we try to hold on to them instead of getting folks to get out as much as possible. New ruralism isn't going to maintain the same level of population, or if it does, they ain't gon' be too happy about it. It can damn sure help, but it's not going to nearly be enough on its own and it's pretty damn unlikely many of the populations we're talking about are really going to be able to really benefit from it much.

Rural economic program can do its thing, but the problem is the damned things, however wonderful they can be, are necessarily inefficient. By the very nature of what's involved, they're building around a competitive disadvantage. You just can't sodding do as much with one, just because of what a low versus high population density means in regards to economics. They can slow down the slide for some areas, but a lotta' folks are going to be left out if they're used as a centerpiece, sooner or later.

I wasn't giving a "fuck em all" message, I was giving a "they're fucked, and this shit isn't going to fix it" message, basically. Ain't a matter of it failing, it's a matter of other crap meaning it's got zero chance of doing anything terribly substantial. Adapting to our circumstances is going to involve starting to treat rural living as the luxury/economic burden it's increasingly becoming, or it's going to involve a helluva lot more suffering than it needs to.
Also, as I'm sure Frumple is writing up right now, at least from what I garnered from some of his prior posts, he has done shit to help, and actually got involved. So don't go immediately assuming that no one here tried to do anything.
Didn't think it was aimed at me, actually.

And sorta'. Most of what I've personally done hasn't really been directly political, though, save for occasionally talking to friends and family... anyone it's relatively safe to talk politics with in person around here, mostly. Which, to be fair, is itself more than non-zero investment, as some of those have had a fair bit of (mostly local) political influence over the years (former mayor in the family, stuff like that). There's just not much of a point to do much more in this particular area, unfortunately -- God could manifest here and tell people to vote democrat and it probably wouldn't make much of a difference -- and outside the net I don't have much resource/health wise in me to scoot around to the areas more personal impact could be made. Been more volunteer/non-profit stuff, side of occasional assistance with education related junk (family's got/had teachers, principals, etc. in it), helping family and friends of family actually try to do something for these hellholes. Easier to reach, heh.

Personal contributions have been less than they could have been 'cause I've been in fairly rough shape health wise for a while and probably worse vis a vis income, but they've been there over the years and the nature of my relations' involvement with that stuff means I've interacted directly and otherwise with a fair amount of folks involved in such things, and over a pretty damn expansive amount of geography. It's why people sayin' liberal efforts aren't out in these places kinda' piss me off, because I've been living in or close to a fair handful of communication networks (in the business networking sort of sense, mostly) that have been involved in dedicated and pretty persistent and expansive efforts to execute just those bloody things all over this friggin' country. Don't like seeing the years and years of effort of a lot of friends and acquaintances, and all the folks they've worked with, basically pissed on and stated to not exist, y'know?
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 1215 1216 [1217] 1218 1219 ... 1249