Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1208 1209 [1210] 1211 1212 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393502 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18135 on: January 23, 2017, 01:03:38 pm »

"They're too hard to pin on the map! They all look the same."
Would that be Trump using his 'mergers and aquisitions' experience?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18136 on: January 23, 2017, 01:09:31 pm »

Wouldn't it be interesting if Trump breaks down over realizing how he knows little-nothing about global politics and steps down?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18137 on: January 23, 2017, 01:27:04 pm »

Wouldn't it be interesting if Trump breaks down over realizing how he knows little-nothing about global politics and steps down?
Unfortunately, he's not the psychological type to back down from an insurmountable problem. Instead, he's going to go on a power trip, in fact he's already doing that, what with the bizarre "press conference" to contest the inauguration crowd size's media claims.

Meanwhile, the US sent no delegation to the talks between the Syrian government and various moderate rebel factions, initiated by Turkey and Russia. The formal excuse was 'too busy with transition of power'. The talks seem to be leading nowhere though, with the rebels' refusal to talk directly to the Syrian government delegation.
According to local media here, the delegation of Syrian government has left their hotel "without mentioning the reasons". Couple that with the neighbouring-in-the-list newspiece that Moscow has "in a hardline form" pointed out to Damascus about the necessity of keeping the armistice, and I get a feeling that Russia isn't all too happy with Assad right now.
._.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18138 on: January 23, 2017, 01:57:23 pm »

One big problem with ACA is it is incapable of reducing overall costs except perhaps by strange effects; the "reduced rate of health cost increase" is kind of a red herring, because individuals with 15% annual increases in premiums don't "feel" the fact that in 10 years, they will have averaged only a 5% annual increase instead of a 10% annual increase.  Put another way - "front loading" the cost increases is very painful (and politically difficult).  Essentially ACA is about cost shifting not cost reduction - the way to see it is the ACA is tailored to "get better value for the health care dollar you are spending" not "get the same care for less money" - and those are fundamentally different goals.

The other issue is that ACA doesn't by itself actually address any of the root causes of why health care costs are so high; it does nothing to reduce costs of pharma approval, doesn't do anything to address the increasing barriers for individuals to become health care providers (So many medical professions, for instance, now require PhDs where they previously required only Masters - that move guarantees higher costs, not lower!).
I agree with you in broad strokes.  The ACA was sold as socialized medicine, but its actually an insurance pool with incentives to join.  Insurance companies are, without subsidies, always going to be a net drain on the system.  They have to make money after all!  All they can do is reduce costs for the unhealthy and increase costs for the healthy.  In a very real way insurance is "betting against yourself," so that you have to pay a similar amount no matter what happens to you.

The ACA can and, I believe initially did, reduce costs by attracting young healthy people with no pre-existing conditions to get insurance.  It also reduces costs through subsidies.  The idea is if everyone's insurance is cheaper, more people will get insurance and keep things cheap and profitable.  The problem is that many young, healthy people choose to take the fine instead of insurance.  The system was still nowhere near collapse however, and in the short term it very much achieved one of its goals: reducing the coverage gap in the US for poor people and part-timers.

The irony of the ACA is its exactly what republicans would do if they wanted to close the coverage gap.  But they've been condemning it for so long if they want to replace it they've had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for things that are neither Obamacare or proper socialized medicine.  One of the things they've looked at is high-risk pools, which are the opposite of the ACA: they spread people out into smaller pools.  The low risk people get one pool with low premiums, the high risk people get their own pool with high premiums, and low monthly/yearly/lifetime limits on how much the insurance can pay out.  This has been tried on the state level and it never, EVER works.  It barely reduces premiums for the low risk pools but people in the high risk pools essentially don't have health insurance.  Such systems are effectively a pretty way of denying treatment and directly result in many deaths for people in the high risk pools.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18139 on: January 23, 2017, 02:10:31 pm »

Livestream of White House Press Conference, currently in action. He even answers questions!

Apparently there are prospects of USA-Russia Joint Military Action in Syria. Yes.
._.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18140 on: January 23, 2017, 02:15:10 pm »

One of the issues of ACA wasn't necessarily that young adults were just tanking the penalties, the dependency age was raised to 26, so most YAs were able to piggyback on their parents' plans for longer without contributing.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18141 on: January 23, 2017, 02:17:41 pm »

Livestream of White House Press Conference, currently in action. He even answers questions!

Apparently there are prospects of USA-Russia Joint Military Action in Syria. Yes.

I missed the start of it, so, I rewound (DVR function on cable).

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18142 on: January 23, 2017, 02:21:29 pm »

One of the issues of ACA wasn't necessarily that young adults were just tanking the penalties, the dependency age was raised to 26, so most YAs were able to piggyback on their parents' plans for longer without contributing.
Its true.  I'm doing that right now.

But like... I've literally never had a good paying job in my life.  Which, is you know, pretty common for a 23 year old.  If I wasn't a dependent I'd either be tanking the penalties or my parents would by buying my health insurance anyway.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18143 on: January 23, 2017, 02:33:09 pm »

Apparently our Ministry of Defence is already kickstarting that "joint military operation" business by announcing an airstrike on ISIS at coordinates provided by USA headquarters.
._.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18144 on: January 23, 2017, 02:46:53 pm »

For a dude who's saber-rattling against the UN and talking about how he wants to get more money out of our NATO allies, Trump sure seems quick to jump in bed with Russia...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18145 on: January 23, 2017, 04:39:52 pm »

Shots fired.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18146 on: January 23, 2017, 05:04:11 pm »

For a dude who's saber-rattling against the UN and talking about how he wants to get more money out of our NATO allies, Trump sure seems quick to jump in bed with Russia...

More to the point, Trump seems to have it in for every nation except Russia. Although he makes a grudging exception for post-Brexit UK and Philippines strongman Duterte. Smart man, that Duterte.

BTW Black Man Out Of Work
http://www.theonion.com/article/black-man-out-work-55106

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:13:47 pm by Reelya »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18147 on: January 23, 2017, 05:10:00 pm »

Is. That. Real? It looks like some sorta parody. And the link in it leads to some video with what sounds like cut up audio to make a conversation that doesn't include what the article is about.

Edit: Oh. Link removed. Well, rip.

Edit2: For anyone reading this later, no, I didn't mean the onion.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:16:58 pm by Criptfeind »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18148 on: January 23, 2017, 05:14:47 pm »

Yeah I should have double checked. I remembered that was a parody site too late. It's not as well-known as TheOnion and doesn't have such a clear comedy angle. Replaced it with a more factual article.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18149 on: January 23, 2017, 05:19:16 pm »

He wants to be a Putin, no doubt. He will never be a Putin, but it is a very safe bet that he will try. He will, like Putin, throw the bone that gives him the loudest bark, and it should not be terribly unexpected to see a Trump-sanctioned news network of his own design, doing the alternative facts presenting, to match Putin's colossal media web.

Of course, Putin does have quite refined and majestic manners, which Trump simply does not. Putin composes himself like a king, but I doubt Trump's mannerism will ever develop beyond a used car salesman.
I imagine Putin is very amused, if somewhat perplexed, by this new little protégé of his. It would be rather adorable, where it not for the fact that it will cause quite a few people quite a lot of grief.
Pages: 1 ... 1208 1209 [1210] 1211 1212 ... 1249