Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394895 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #17970 on: January 21, 2017, 12:56:23 pm »

Don't worry, I'm sure he'd technically hand over control of Facebook - to family members - possibly even days before the election!  Or inauguration, whichever.

Fun aside, today is when the official protest marches are happening, in cities across the country.  Might be worth checking out in person, if only to witness a historical day.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17971 on: January 21, 2017, 01:03:48 pm »

A cursory read of even that heavily-biased article makes it quite plain that the legal action is intended to clear up the very murky ownership status of the land. Due to an 19th century law establishing ownership of plots of land that have become ever more divided over time and nobody, including most of the current owners, has a clue who has the land rights. Nobody is being evicted, and the only result will be clearing up of paperwork and quite a few people getting money for land they didn't know they had.
Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly suing Hawaiian families who have ancestral rights to land within his $100 million (£81.2 million) property in a bid to force them to sell their plots.
You gonna get clarified

Close to a dozen small parcels within Zuckerberg’s Kauai estate are owned by kamaaina families who have rights to traverse the billionaire’s otherwise private domain.

Now the Facebook CEO is trying to enhance the seclusion of his property by filing several lawsuits aimed at forcing these families to sell their land at a public court auction to the highest bidder.

The legal action known as “quiet title and partition” isn’t uncommon in Hawaii. Yet even with an order from a judge and financial compensation, forcing people to sell land that has been in their families for generations can be off-putting — especially when it’s driven by the sixth-richest person in the world.

“The person being sued is ultimately on the defensive,” said Donald Eby, a real estate attorney and partner in the Colorado law firm Robinson & Henry who isn’t involved in the Zuckerberg actions and directed his comment to quiet title actions in general. “Their ownership is being challenged, and because of that their ownership is put at risk.”

A Center for Excellence in Native Hawaiian Law primer on quiet title and partition law titled “E ‘Onipaa i ke Kulaiwi” said using the law to compel land sales has reduced Native Hawaiian landownership: “Partition by sale in particular is highly problematic for the Native Hawaiian community because it severs a family’s connection to ancestral land.”

Zuckerberg, through several companies he controls, filed the lawsuits against a few hundred people — many living and some dead — who inherited or once owned interests in what are known as kuleana lands where ownership is often largely undocumented.
But like you said, we can trust Zuckerberg's lawyer and he's just giving the Hawaiins free money at his own expense :^)

Additionally, if you actually look at some of Mark Zuckerberg's recent statements, and some of the changes to Facebook's corporate policy (something about leave of absences and holding government position), it does seem at least in some sense that he's gearing up to run for President in 2020 or 2024.
I think he'd actually be worse than Trump.
Certainly a more refined version of Trump

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17972 on: January 21, 2017, 02:06:01 pm »

Additionally, if you actually look at some of Mark Zuckerberg's recent statements, and some of the changes to Facebook's corporate policy (something about leave of absences and holding government position), it does seem at least in some sense that he's gearing up to run for President in 2020 or 2024.

I think you're going to see a lot of candidates like that.  If someone like Trump can win...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17973 on: January 21, 2017, 02:14:29 pm »

Well we've had 1 day of Trump, let's see how he does with the other 1,459.

Isn't Zuckerberg too young for 2020?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #17974 on: January 21, 2017, 02:21:30 pm »

The democrats need to be purged and reformed into something stronger if we're going to recover from this anytime soon. For one thing, they need to reject neoliberalism and return to social liberalism. They also need to roll back the security state and take advantage of Republican weaknesses. For instance, Trump supports the anti-gun position of stop-and-frisk, which took more guns from people than Obama ever did. A pro-gun democrat that points this out, and promises to oppose it, will cut short the most tiresome and repeated Republican drum. Most importantly, they need to go on the offensive, build up popular support by being the dissenting voice that rises first and foremost with every action the Republicans take.

Do I expect them to do this? Absolutely not. If the Democrats had the wherewithal for reconstruction, then we would have had someone besides Hillary.

It really is time for a new party. The Green party could have done something, but Jill Stein's bald-faced fraud has discredited it. The libertarians are constitutionally neoliberals AND alt-right. I don't know what this new party will be called, but if it does arise, it will find a strong cohort of supporters.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17975 on: January 21, 2017, 02:24:55 pm »

Well the headline of the Zuckerberg articles doesn't fit what it says.

Close to a dozen small parcels within Zuckerberg’s Kauai estate

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/01/19/facebook-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-sues-hawaiian-families-over-kauai-land/96774246/

The 14 plots on eight acres within Zuckerberg's Kauai estate gives them the right to cross the tech billionaire's land.

Zuckerberg's legal maneuver, called "quiet title and partition," would force local families to sell land that has been in their families for generations to the highest bidder through a public auction, the newspaper said. Zuckerberg has done genealogical research to identify the owners of the Kuleana parcels which were granted to native Hawaiian tenant farmers between 1850 and 1855.

In a Facebook post, Zuckerberg said he wanted to clear up "misleading" news articles.

"The land is made up of a few properties. In each case, we worked with the majority owners of each property and reached a deal they thought was fair and wanted to make on their own.

"As with most transactions, the majority owners have the right to sell their land if they want, but we need to make sure smaller partial owners get paid for their fair share too.

So in other words, these hundreds of people don't actually live on the land, it's only really a few acres. The people who live there already did a deal with Zuckerberg. This lawsuit is to track down the remaining descendants of the lands with indeterminate titles.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:35:12 pm by Reelya »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17976 on: January 21, 2017, 02:31:40 pm »

Me thinks the number of families being forced to move doesn't change the fact zuckerberg is a massive hypocrite, it only slight increases or decreases the degree of it.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17977 on: January 21, 2017, 02:33:37 pm »

The democrats need to be purged and reformed into something stronger if we're going to recover from this anytime soon. For one thing, they need to reject neoliberalism and return to social liberalism. They also need to roll back the security state and take advantage of Republican weaknesses. For instance, Trump supports the anti-gun position of stop-and-frisk, which took more guns from people than Obama ever did. A pro-gun democrat that points this out, and promises to oppose it, will cut short the most tiresome and repeated Republican drum. Most importantly, they need to go on the offensive, build up popular support by being the dissenting voice that rises first and foremost with every action the Republicans take.

Do I expect them to do this? Absolutely not. If the Democrats had the wherewithal for reconstruction, then we would have had someone besides Hillary.

It really is time for a new party. The Green party could have done something, but Jill Stein's bald-faced fraud has discredited it. The libertarians are constitutionally neoliberals AND alt-right. I don't know what this new party will be called, but if it does arise, it will find a strong cohort of supporters.
The fact that Libertarians and Greens continue to be the main faces of the third parties is the single biggest block to national third parties (other than all the other blocks), but I cannot see them losing prominence any time soon. If even in this election, the Greens and Libertarians could do so poorly, it is safer to hope that Democrats reinvent themselves (as they have done in the past) than hope that a third party not currently existing muscles past the loopy greens and Aleppo-free Libertarians.
Me thinks the number of families being forced to move doesn't change the fact zuckerberg is a massive hypocrite, it only slight increases or decreases the degree of it.
It's more that when an article starts being very wrong or misleading about one detail that I want to question it on other details. You are right, but if it's very wrong in one way I doubt it holds up elsewhere.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17978 on: January 21, 2017, 02:35:54 pm »

But they don't live on the land that's the point. There are not hundreds of families living on an 8 acre plot. If they did, then the "several hundred" people assuming that's at least 300 would have personal space of 30x30 feet each. Which would be on par with the most crowded cities on the planet such as Manila.

These people were tracked down using genealogy research as the living descendants of the people who were granted the original claims. People who had current claims on the land already did a deal with Zuckerberg. if you read closely, this is to work out who has legal title to a few small plots that had lapsed and give them money for them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:48:41 pm by Reelya »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17979 on: January 21, 2017, 02:37:47 pm »

Trump doesn't really scare me too much because he just wants a big name for himself. The fact that some people even claim he doesn't even really want the presidency, to me, makes him not the worst possible person.

Zuckerberg, though, does scare me because he actually wants to make a difference in the world.

That is - I'd prefer a reluctant leader over one who has an agenda any day.

<troll>Plus, can you imagine the surveillance state we'd get if the creator of Facebook is in charge?</troll>
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17980 on: January 21, 2017, 02:49:41 pm »

The fact that Libertarians and Greens continue to be the main faces of the third parties is the single biggest block to national third parties (other than all the other blocks), but I cannot see them losing prominence any time soon. If even in this election, the Greens and Libertarians could do so poorly, it is safer to hope that Democrats reinvent themselves (as they have done in the past) than hope that a third party not currently existing muscles past the loopy greens and Aleppo-free Libertarians.
It's more that when an article starts being very wrong or misleading about one detail that I want to question it on other details. You are right, but if it's very wrong in one way I doubt it holds up elsewhere.

If the Greens and/or Libertarians actually offered up a quality (not a typo) candidate, they might have done better. But yeah, considering the state that the Dems find themselves in, they really do need to reinvent themselves. One of the leading strategies I've seen around is something similar to the political path that the Tea Party took, namely, focusing on the state legislatures and Governor seats, grassroots in other words. They also need to, like PTTG said, reject the neoliberalism and that Davos mentality and find the message that resonates with rural and town voters. That analysis I posted a bunch of pages back (don't know if it got gobbled by the ToadEdit) shows how it happened over time, it wasn't just the Obama adminstration.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17981 on: January 21, 2017, 03:09:42 pm »

Would say they more need to figure out a way to get things done without the town and rural voters, tbh. Or at least no more than they have now. There's basically no message the dems can give to those folks that's not a straight up fucking lie that they haven't already been giving for decades, to little avail and less attention.

State level legislature has been an issue for a while, though, yeah. Kinda' sod all you can really do about it in rural et al areas, unfortunately. Inroads aren't going to happen there until repubs finally screw up hard enough th'populations in question pay bloody attention to who's been driving the last few decades of sodomy train and start listening to information outside very specific venues. Challenge there is the screwing pole to reach before that happens is high enough commercial flights can pass under it.

Might be better off hoping the reps get more fractious, honestly, and part of it starts pulling left/less-freakishly-stupid on issues of governance hard enough they actualy stop bending over for the rest of 'em. Breath holding and lack thereof, etc., etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17982 on: January 21, 2017, 03:21:11 pm »

goodness, trumps so unpopular other country's are protesting him. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17984 on: January 21, 2017, 03:25:54 pm »

In my opinion, a big problem with many third parties is the fact I only ever see them on the Federal scale, but rarely on the state and never on the local levels.  In fact, I barely see any Democrats operating on the local scale outside of cities.  Not as much of a foundation compared to the Republican party, who seem to be just everywhere.  Sure the areas are small towns, but there's a hell of a lot of them than cities resulting in republicans controlling many more positions, giving them more people to be able to bring up a level, which affords better foundations on the county level, then the state level, and eventually, the Federal level.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1249