Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388519 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Before minimum wage was a thing, companies would simply lower wages during bad times, meaning mostly everybody kept their jobs. The economy would fix itself over time.

However, since minimum wage was implimented, the economy was no longer going to fix itself. Hoover and company did not realize this, and still legitimately thought the economy would fix itself, but the government needed to get involved.

Wasn't the minimum wage (nationally at least) established after the stock market crash of 1929? That explaination doesn't hold up.

Besides, lowering wages doesn't help much if the banks are shot and can't lend cash. Also, lower wages means less money spent on the economy, which only hurts things further.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:39:24 pm by smjjames »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Before minimum wage was a thing, companies would simply lower wages during bad times, meaning mostly everybody kept their jobs. The economy would fix itself over time.

However, since minimum wage was implimented, the economy was no longer going to fix itself. Hoover and company did not realize this, and still legitimately thought the economy would fix itself, but the government needed to get involved.

Capitalist running dog! Go! Lick your masters hindquarters, wage slave!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The question wasn't whether or not the economy would recover anyhow... there was no question that it would even if no one did anything (Though that is a lot like remembering that the Plague resolved itself)

It was whether the government could have either shortened it or made it more comfortable.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

labor unions in general. People were getting laid off en masse.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nationally mandated minimum wage is different from Union negotiated wages.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, this is absolutely horrifying.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I see that 2016 Part 2 is keeping to standards. I'm sure everybody will be completely reasonable and recognize this as the actions of a group of criminal individuals instead of undeniable evidence of standard social trends or justification for any political stance. And not only that, but the fine folks of the Chicago PD will charge these individuals appropriately for their actions, and in keeping with the admitted political and racial motivations which aggravate the nature of this crime.

Yes. Surely.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:11:44 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just saw the news article and couldn't find a more unbiased source. The only other site with this news story was Info Wars.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Ye, the fact that something as absurd as this isn't being shown by any major media outlet other than fox is... Kinda worrying? Its very much real though.

Welp, enjoy the after effects of polarization and racial tension pushed by both ends of the political spectrum, 'murica, hope you finally stop pretending you can find saints in politics and news media.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

This did sort of just happen, you know. I also saw someone talking about Anderson Cooper commenting on it, so whatever channel he's on these days clearly covered it.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just saw the news article and couldn't find a more unbiased source. The only other site with this news story was Info Wars.

Pfft, you're not looking hard enough.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/04/us/chicago-facebook-live-beating/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/04/facebook-live-stream-video-man-attacked-chicago-trump

Call them liberal sources if you want, point is still made.

Ye, the fact that something as absurd as this isn't being shown by any major media outlet other than fox is... Kinda worrying? Its very much real though.

Welp, enjoy the after effects of polarization and racial tension pushed by both ends of the political spectrum, 'murica, hope you finally stop pretending you can find saints in politics and news media.

It has been kind of slow to disseminate. Don Lemon on CNN Tonight has also talked about it, so, it's not only FoxNews now.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Yeah, my local ABC station mentioned it, but only briefly. I'm guessing it'll take until tomorrow for them to put together proper coverage, they just can't move as quickly to cover an incident as internet people (like us here today) can spread the video of it amongst ourselves.

You'll note the timestamps on those articles, smjjames. They literally had not been posted yet when OSG made his post.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, my local ABC station mentioned it, but only briefly. I'm guessing it'll take until tomorrow for them to put together proper coverage, they just can't move as quickly to cover an incident as internet people (like us here today) can spread the video of it amongst ourselves.

You'll note the timestamps on those articles, smjjames. They literally had not been posted yet when OSG made his post.

Whoops on the timestamps, but yeah, like I said and you mention, it takes some time to disseminate.

But yeah, it's just bad and seemingly racially motivated. Also apparently a kidnapping, which makes you wonder what crazy shit was going through their heads.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

The craziest part is that they livestreamed it, really. That's a level above just recording it in my mind.
No Gods, No Masters.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BLM would go absolutely crazy.
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 1249