Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1396192 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #16170 on: December 24, 2016, 08:14:09 pm »

I'm wondering if a Crusade/holy war period is just a part of the life cycle of religions. I mean, Islam's about as old as Christianity was in it's Crusade phase. Not so much the Jerusalem crusades, but Teutonic Order and whatnot.

Hopefully this one ends relatively soon >.>
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #16171 on: December 24, 2016, 08:20:16 pm »

It'd be cool if we had representitives that interested in providing for American interests, instead of Israeli ones.

Or supported Human Interest through working with the UN instead of against it, but I'm biased because I love the UN.

The UN has such a great track record for dealing with human rights, after all.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16172 on: December 24, 2016, 09:12:30 pm »

I'm wondering if a Crusade/holy war period is just a part of the life cycle of religions. I mean, Islam's about as old as Christianity was in it's Crusade phase. Not so much the Jerusalem crusades, but Teutonic Order and whatnot.

The only problem with that theory is that the Crusades were all about retaking the Holy Lands from what were seen at the time as 'godless heretics'. Islam doesn't have any major holy site that's under control of a Christian (or otherwise) nation. Though Jerusalem is an exception, but that's a whole other morass on it's own.

Plus Hinduism and Buddism didn't have any such 'Crusade phase' of their religion.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16173 on: December 24, 2016, 09:15:48 pm »

Not quite. The Crusades were from roughly 1100 to 1300 years into Christianity's history (more specifically, circa 1096 to 1292), and Christianity is approximately 600 years older than Islam; this would make the equivalent "Jihad period" roughly 1700 to 1900.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16174 on: December 25, 2016, 12:01:10 am »

Teutonic order was founded after the crusade for Jerusalem. In fact in it was founded IN the Kingdom of Jerusalem. (If you played more videogames, you'd know these things.)

The only problem with that theory is that the Crusades were all about retaking the Holy Lands from what were seen at the time as 'godless heretics'. Islam doesn't have any major holy site that's under control of a Christian (or otherwise) nation. Though Jerusalem is an exception, but that's a whole other morass on it's own.

Plus Hinduism and Buddism didn't have any such 'Crusade phase' of their religion.
Then again once you bring Hinduism and Buddism up the whole thing starts to fall apart. What about Confucianism? Does that not count? What does then? What about Eastern Orthodoxy? What about Protestantism? Or are we to believe that the Catholic Pope deciding to reclaim Jerusalem has a serious influence on whether or not Coptic Ethiopia crusades for Alexandria (which is the where the Coptic Pope is)? The entire theory smacks of 19th century pseudo-science, sorry to say.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16175 on: December 25, 2016, 12:16:48 am »

Teutonic order was founded after the crusade for Jerusalem. In fact in it was founded IN the Kingdom of Jerusalem. (If you played more videogames, you'd know these things.)
Mhmm. And when did the Teutonic Order end, and what year is that. And how many years since the beginning of Islam has it been.

I did say holy war, in addition to Crusades. Do you believe there were no holy wars by Buddhists or Hindus? There are many rallying cries, but in most of these the sentiment is the same; heathens, heretics or outsiders are somewhere that is ours, and must be pushed out. Reconquista, counter-Jihads for the holy lands, Buddhist schisms...

I greatly enjoy the total war series. I will thank you to check your condescension at the door.

FINALLY, it was a passing thought, I don't know if you noticed me saying 'I'm wondering' or if you slimmed over that part.

The Lithuanian Crusades ended around 1440. If this idea has any merit to it, it fairly obviously wouldn't be an exact lifespan thing. For Sabot's sake, people.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16176 on: December 25, 2016, 01:42:10 am »

Proposal: a Christmas truce, just in this thread. I guess the way that works is everyone just doesn't post here for a bit. I know I plan to take a break.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16177 on: December 25, 2016, 02:01:18 am »

Proposal: a Christmas truce, just in this thread. I guess the way that works is everyone just doesn't post here for a bit. I know I plan to take a break.

You godless heathen!  The light of the gospel shall be instilled in your heart if I have to rip it still beating from your chest!  Deus Vult!

Okay, a Christmas pause sounds like a good plan.  Maybe I'll go buy Crusader Kings II and get crusading out of my system.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16178 on: December 25, 2016, 03:33:32 am »

Mhmm. And when did the Teutonic Order end, and what year is that. And how many years since the beginning of Islam has it been.
This makes me strongly question whether I ever understood what you are saying.

I did say holy war, in addition to Crusades. Do you believe there were no holy wars by Buddhists or Hindus? There are many rallying cries, but in most of these the sentiment is the same; heathens, heretics or outsiders are somewhere that is ours, and must be pushed out. Reconquista, counter-Jihads for the holy lands, Buddhist schisms...
Claiming these come from a distinct religious "phase" as if the life-cycle of could be defined into distinct phases and that one of which is a violent, "holy war" phase is entirely different from claiming "oh well sometimes people use religion for war." The latter is an uncontested fact (which nonetheless does not apply to all religions; for example some are pacifist), while the former is a specific way of interpreting a huge swathe of religious history. I will not contest the latter, but given you've supplied no evidence I will bitterly oppose the former.

I greatly enjoy the total war series. I will thank you to check your condescension at the door.
If this is the day when someone took me suggesting playing more videogames as a serious suggestion for improving their historical knowledge, then I will have to seriously reconsider getting up in the morning tomorrow.

You godless heathen!  The light of the gospel shall be instilled in your heart if I have to rip it still beating from your chest!  Deus Vult!

Okay, a Christmas pause sounds like a good plan.  Maybe I'll go buy Crusader Kings II and get crusading out of my system.
Orthodox Christmas isn't for another couple weeks, so I will take up the call, and maintain the siege on the Politics Thread until I am reinforced by my schismatic allies on the 26th. It will eventually be liberated from the hands of the foreigner German King!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 03:35:09 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16179 on: December 25, 2016, 04:01:37 am »

So, Sen. Lindsey Graham is threatening to propose a measure to defund (or otherwise slash funding) the UN if it doesn't repeal the amendment that condemns Israel.

Certainly not the first time Congress (or Lindsey Graham) have clashed with the UN. This article mentions that it would be virtually impossible (or otherwise really difficult) to overturn it because it would require no vetoes from the permanent members on the UN Security Council, and the rest of the permanent members supported it.

It'll likely end up with Congress playing a game of chicken vs losing voting priviledges in the general assembly. Though I have no idea if Congress has had a confrontation this bad with the UN before.

So he he tHAT dedicated to ensuring people can annex and build on land that does not belong to them?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16180 on: December 25, 2016, 10:47:05 am »

On the topic of firey death, use this fun toy to learn how fuck you are!

For me, if a nuke hit my nearest big city i am in the "50% chance of 1st degree burn" zone! so, depending on the wind, i'm only minorly fucked!
I'm playing catchup on this thread as always recently, but first-degree is bad-sunburn-tier (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16181 on: December 25, 2016, 10:57:48 am »

On the topic of firey death, use this fun toy to learn how fuck you are!

For me, if a nuke hit my nearest big city i am in the "50% chance of 1st degree burn" zone! so, depending on the wind, i'm only minorly fucked!
I'm playing catchup on this thread as always recently, but first-degree is bad-sunburn-tier (:

0 % chance of thermal effects to me, from both Topol or largest bombs currently in US arsenal. Nearest likely target is about 40 km away.  :)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16182 on: December 25, 2016, 10:59:29 am »

It'd be cool if we had representitives that interested in providing for American interests, instead of Israeli ones.

But Israeli interests ARE American interests. :P According to the GOP and some Dems.

By all appearances, the Trump admin is going to take a really hard-line and rightwing approach to it.
Now be fair, there are conservatives who don't support Israel that much. Like... oh... honestly accidental Godwin.

But honestly, people on both sides do think we go too far with the artificial Jewish state. At this point it might only be a good idea thanks to sunk costs, in money and blood. So much unnecessary blood.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16183 on: December 25, 2016, 11:21:44 am »

But Israeli interests ARE American interests. :P According to the GOP and some Dems.

By all appearances, the Trump admin is going to take a really hard-line and rightwing approach to it.
Now be fair, there are conservatives who don't support Israel that much. Like... oh... honestly accidental Godwin.

But honestly, people on both sides do think we go too far with the artificial Jewish state. At this point it might only be a good idea thanks to sunk costs, in money and blood. So much unnecessary blood.

Israel is barely more artificial than any other modern middle-eastern state.  It has its roots in 19th century Jews living in modern Israel.  Sure, when they came into existence in the 1940s they invited all the Jews from Europe to come, but they also welcomed all the Jews who fled other middle-eastern countries when war was declared.  This is as opposed to the various other states around them that stuck the people who fled the war in the other direction in camps.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16184 on: December 25, 2016, 11:22:13 am »

Unnecessary blood? so i take it you think all of american casualties in every war since WW2 is Israel's fault?
Pages: 1 ... 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 ... 1249