Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1076 1077 [1078] 1079 1080 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1396193 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #16155 on: December 24, 2016, 06:37:11 am »

You can limit money donations if you want, but I imagine the wealthy would just find non-monentary ways to benefit the candidates they like.  Favors, lending of resources like a private jet, etc.
Donation to a "not-for-profit organization ran by the political candidate"
Hooray money laundering!
I didn't say it was morally correct, just that when you get powerful people with money it's really hard to stop them from hiring clever people who know how to break law. Moreover when you have a system where the candidate who spends the most on campaigning wins most of the time (anomalies like Trump aside), inevitably the candidates get stacked by people who accept donations cleverly

I'd rather have a mountain, or at least the earth itself between me and the radiation coming from a nuke.
Time to take a ticket to Svalbard

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #16156 on: December 24, 2016, 06:42:33 am »

I think you're probably better off playing the odds with cancer than trying to survive in Svalbard without external trade. Humans got pretty good at infesting everywhere within physical possibility over the thousands of years before civilization: Svalbard wasn't one of them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16157 on: December 24, 2016, 06:45:46 am »

Don't worry. Bring proof that you posted here at bay12games and I will give you a discount if you get leukemia. This only applies to veteran posters, though, no escaped lunatics.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16158 on: December 24, 2016, 06:50:58 am »

I think you're probably better off playing the odds with cancer than trying to survive in Svalbard without external trade. Humans got pretty good at infesting everywhere within physical possibility over the thousands of years before civilization: Svalbard wasn't one of them.
There is nothing that could kill the Russian colony on Svalbard

Moreover, Svalbard is only for the first week after which most of the radioactive fallout wouldn't immediately kill you
Then, if you're lucky enough to still have a ship, begin recolonization of the mainland world
Shouldn't be too hard to start with Scotland and Norway, moving ever southwards as the human population increases

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16159 on: December 24, 2016, 08:51:09 am »

There is nothing that could kill the Russian colony on Svalbard

Moreover, Svalbard is only for the first week after which most of the radioactive fallout wouldn't immediately kill you
Then, if you're lucky enough to still have a ship, begin recolonization of the mainland world
Shouldn't be too hard to start with Scotland and Norway, moving ever southwards as the human population increases
This sounds like the summary of the first part of your next CK2 game.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16160 on: December 24, 2016, 09:13:28 am »

If either of the (very) large cities nearest to me I was nuked with a 100MT nuke, I'd be fine. Mostly because I live ~6 hours away from both of them. Odds are my state would escape getting nuked entirely (except possibly for some stuff further west if there are still missile silos out there) because there are basically no people to nuke.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16161 on: December 24, 2016, 11:07:39 am »

This sounds like the summary of the first part of your next CK2 game.
[Svalbard miroslav saoshyant intensifies]

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16162 on: December 24, 2016, 04:38:05 pm »

If either of the (very) large cities nearest to me I was nuked with a 100MT nuke, I'd be fine. Mostly because I live ~6 hours away from both of them. Odds are my state would escape getting nuked entirely (except possibly for some stuff further west if there are still missile silos out there) because there are basically no people to nuke.

Yeah if a 100 MT nuke hit my nearby big city, i would be well in to the crispy critter range. so no chances for me if they bring the Czar bomb out
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16163 on: December 24, 2016, 05:16:06 pm »

Yeah if a 100 MT nuke hit my nearby big city, i would be well in to the crispy critter range. so no chances for me if they bring the Czar bomb out

luckily the largest operational nukes are ~7MT IIRC.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16164 on: December 24, 2016, 05:25:21 pm »

Yeah, the biggest the US will admit to still having is 1.2 MT, I don't know about Russia, but they specialize in sticking a ridiculous amount of warheads on their missiles, not so much high yield ICBMs.

It's definitely worth remembering that the worst of the fallout from a standard thermonuke will have faded within a month. Cobalt bombs or other salted nukes, not so much. Cobalt 60 has like a 30 year half life, it doesn't get close to safe until about a century after detonation.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16165 on: December 24, 2016, 06:40:09 pm »

So, Sen. Lindsey Graham is threatening to propose a measure to defund (or otherwise slash funding) the UN if it doesn't repeal the amendment that condemns Israel.

Certainly not the first time Congress (or Lindsey Graham) have clashed with the UN. This article mentions that it would be virtually impossible (or otherwise really difficult) to overturn it because it would require no vetoes from the permanent members on the UN Security Council, and the rest of the permanent members supported it.

It'll likely end up with Congress playing a game of chicken vs losing voting priviledges in the general assembly. Though I have no idea if Congress has had a confrontation this bad with the UN before.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16166 on: December 24, 2016, 07:01:29 pm »

It'd be cool if we had representitives that interested in providing for American interests, instead of Israeli ones.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16167 on: December 24, 2016, 07:05:17 pm »

It'd be cool if we had representitives that interested in providing for American interests, instead of Israeli ones.

But Israeli interests ARE American interests. :P According to the GOP and some Dems.

By all appearances, the Trump admin is going to take a really hard-line and rightwing approach to it.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16168 on: December 24, 2016, 07:56:49 pm »

Yes, because a western style democracy in the middle east is not in America's best interests.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16169 on: December 24, 2016, 08:10:11 pm »

Or supported Human Interest through working with the UN instead of against it, but I'm biased because I love the UN.

Yes, because a western style democracy in the middle east is not in America's best interests.
Personally I think a Constitutional Monarchy like GB has might be better for the Middle East. It'd be less of a transition from Crazed Dictator>Parliament to Parliament>Crazed Dictator than from Crazed Dictator>Parliament to Crazed President>SENATE AND HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AND STATES AND FREEDOM TO OWN FIREARMS AND JESUS GOTTA HAVE THAT JESUS

But really nothing is going to work until the Muslim World starts reforming away from this dark-age style fanaticism they've got going on right now.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 1076 1077 [1078] 1079 1080 ... 1249