Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1059 1060 [1061] 1062 1063 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395856 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #15900 on: December 18, 2016, 01:50:51 pm »

Most of the time, I can understand Trump by pretending to be an unprincipled nationalist jackoff trying to get elected for fun, but this one is a bit weird.

Think of it from his point of view

America: Come ooooon China give it back! your suck a meanie
China: Aww does America want its little toy back? Well... I guess I can give it back, I am a merciful nation after all. Just remember to say thank you.
America: Thanks you China for giving my toy back

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Language Enrichment Edition
« Reply #15901 on: December 18, 2016, 01:52:38 pm »

Trump "We don't want it back now anyway, it's got China Cooties. Ner Ner"

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15902 on: December 18, 2016, 02:16:00 pm »

Me, immediately after drone-capture "Return our drone immediately or we will blow up your little ship with the submarine we have shadowing our science mission (because you can't be too paranoid!)."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15903 on: December 18, 2016, 02:25:21 pm »

I feel like appointing Rick Perry is an olive branch to the Republicans, a pretty decent show that he's not just going to appoint people loyal to him specifically (rather to the party >.>), and a very poor choice administratively speaking. Donald has showmanship, not a knack for running things efficiently. That's why he was able to go bankrupt multiple times; he can get involved and start something up, it's harder for him to keep it going, I think.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15904 on: December 18, 2016, 02:29:53 pm »

Hmm.

If Donald Trump creates an incompetent Executive branch, what power will remain in the federal government? Will Congress step up? It would require them to agree on things, and that seems unlikely. Would the Supreme Court become the highest power? Doesn't seem like they have an appetite for it.

I foresee a paralysis overcoming the federal government the likes of which have never been seen before.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15905 on: December 18, 2016, 02:30:09 pm »

He seems to be keen on picking people who want to destroy the departments he puts them in.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15906 on: December 18, 2016, 02:34:22 pm »

Incompetency doesn't reduce power, it misuses it.

This really seems very well set up for a civil war. Massive partisan disagreement, very unpopular minority president, extensive control by single party, likely deterioration or paralysis of how the government runs, people calling for 'any and all means to stop [other side]'...

Probably won't happen, but seems like Trump's presidency is when it would happen, if it did.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15907 on: December 18, 2016, 03:39:55 pm »

We currently use a ton of oil to grow crops (for tractors, transportation, refrigeration,...) but all that is not as big a problem as it seems since our production capacity are massively under-used.

Seriously peoples, you NEED to read Marx's book. He's not the father of economic science for nothing.

Adam Smith is the father of economic science.  Marx is...well Marx is a delusional philosopher who barely understood the process of buying and selling fruit.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15908 on: December 18, 2016, 03:53:32 pm »

Adam Smith is the father of economic science.  Marx is...well Marx is a delusional philosopher who barely understood the process of buying and selling fruit.
Adam Smith could well be the most abused and obscured philosopher of modern times.

Noam Chomsky has some interesting things to say on Adam Smith in this interview here. https://chomsky.info/warfare02/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15909 on: December 18, 2016, 07:31:16 pm »

Incompetency doesn't reduce power, it misuses it.

This really seems very well set up for a civil war. Massive partisan disagreement, very unpopular minority president, extensive control by single party, likely deterioration or paralysis of how the government runs, people calling for 'any and all means to stop [other side]'...

Probably won't happen, but seems like Trump's presidency is when it would happen, if it did.

Civil war? Come on, the two sides are too diffusely spread out for that to go anywhere. At least I don't see it coming to a shooting war.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15910 on: December 18, 2016, 08:08:57 pm »

One side is diffuse. The other is concentrated into cities. Civil war isn't always about geographical separation, though it helps. Like I said, I don't see it as likely, but I can envision there being a sequence of events over the next several years that would culminate in a second Civil War.

@martinuzz: Thank you for linking that, that's actually a really interesting interview.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15911 on: December 18, 2016, 08:27:39 pm »

so a question about the whole "fake news" thing, how likely will it lead to government controlled and run news media and how bad do you think it will it be?
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #15912 on: December 18, 2016, 08:31:18 pm »

so a question about the whole "fake news" thing, how likely will it lead to government controlled and run news media and how bad do you think it will it be?

I'm sure it will be double plus good.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15913 on: December 18, 2016, 08:32:14 pm »

If we're going to talk about things that, 2016 willing, won't happen, my projection for the most likely Trump Civil War timeline is his plan to starve the sanctuary cities getting messy and, Trump being Trump, he deploys the military to search for illegal immigrants in them. A few clusterfucks later and you have an armed conflict.

In terms of actually likely scenarios, Trump goes Super Sayian from the frustration of the rest of government not rolling over for him and destroys the world.
It won't. Hopefully the left doesn't get infected with a new strain of stupidity and make "stopping fake news" their new issue, then we really will be stuck with Trump.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15914 on: December 18, 2016, 08:33:52 pm »

It won't. Hopefully the left doesn't get infected with a new strain of stupidity and make "stopping fake news" their new issue, then we really will be stuck with Trump.

The framework is already being put into place, unfortunately, under the guise of "protecting against disinformation spread by the Russian Federation and her agents." As it is the powers proposed only amount to a relaxing of rules regarding domestic propaganda, but depending on who you ask the way mainstream news media gets a lot of its content spoon-fed by corporate and government actors means that it has long since been subverted already.

I'll see if I can find the bill I'm thinking of.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 1059 1060 [1061] 1062 1063 ... 1249