Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1010 1011 [1012] 1013 1014 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1391337 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15165 on: December 06, 2016, 08:31:54 pm »

It's Alberta. Is that really surprising?
No.
Since Canada is the US's hat
This joke still isn't funny.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15166 on: December 06, 2016, 08:32:35 pm »

It's Alberta. Is that really surprising?

I'm American, I have no real knowledge of Alberta other than that it's a Canadian province, and also some dinosaur fossils have been found there. There's even one named after the province.

Let alone the politics there.

Since Canada is the US's hat
This joke still isn't funny.

Sorry.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15168 on: December 06, 2016, 08:34:03 pm »

Isn't it from Scandinavia And The World?  Or if that webcomic is referencing an existing "joke", I don't know it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15169 on: December 06, 2016, 08:35:30 pm »

Isn't it from Scandinavia And The World?  Or if that webcomic is referencing an existing "joke", I don't know it.

I think I first saw it on SATW, may have seen it elsewhere, not sure how common the joke actually is though.

Might be a joke that's used elsewhere. *shrug*

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15170 on: December 06, 2016, 08:51:25 pm »

It's from SatW I'm pretty sure, and I was able to tell Humon with pride that everything I know about that part of the world is from their comic.

Also: in this thread we have LW decrying the idea of people acting like they were living in a cheesy drama, when LW is a character who is only likely to even exist if that thesis was true.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15171 on: December 06, 2016, 09:03:55 pm »

Also: in this thread we have LW decrying the idea of people acting like they were living in a cheesy drama, when LW is a character who is only likely to even exist if that thesis was true.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15172 on: December 06, 2016, 09:07:18 pm »

Well, yes, when you heavily regulate an industry strictly in the realm of service, it gets a bit unnecessary. Doesn't make all regulations bad, and doesn't mean that we don't need more regulations. Just means that regulating airline service so heavily was foolish. Additionally, as pointed out in that quote, the regulations were put into place prior to a massive boom in clients. Not generally applicable to the things that folks around here are calling to regulate.

Though you are right that "regulation" and "deregulation" of "industry" is a generally stupid opinion; some things work better unrelated, others regulated, and the extent of those regulations matters. So does the context in time.

Which is exactly the point I was trying to make.  Some regulations, like many environmental regulations, keep negative externalities to a minimum.  Some regulations just get in the way.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15173 on: December 06, 2016, 09:12:23 pm »

Nobody believes that regulations are all inherently good. However, we have a startling lack of them regarding environmental concerns and consumer protection.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15174 on: December 06, 2016, 09:19:21 pm »

Except that the Republicans are saying that the environmental regulations are stifling the economy and making it harder for businesses. However, aside from ones generally related to the coal industry and in the EPA, I haven't heard mention of specific regulations that people claim are hurting the economy.

AFAIK, nobody is saying 'this regulation, xyz, which forces us to use scrubbers in smokestacks (just an example) is hurting the economy and businesses' or anything specific like that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:21:42 pm by smjjames »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15175 on: December 06, 2016, 09:41:02 pm »

Except that the Republicans are saying that the environmental regulations are stifling the economy and making it harder for businesses. However, aside from ones generally related to the coal industry and in the EPA, I haven't heard mention of specific regulations that people claim are hurting the economy.

AFAIK, nobody is saying 'this regulation, xyz, which forces us to use scrubbers in smokestacks (just an example) is hurting the economy and businesses' or anything specific like that.

I think I have heard that one.  More frequent are denunciations of CO2 regulations.  Or denunciations of water policy in California to protect a fish that might have already gone extinct.  Or, to pull a very current example, the employer mandate in Obamacare.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15176 on: December 06, 2016, 10:09:38 pm »

Yeah, taxing CO2 is stupid, and sets a bad precedent (the whole "being taxed on the right to exhale" thing will never stop bothering me) but regulating actual pollution (i.e. shit which isn't a critical component of the biosphere, and especially shit which actually harms the biosphere) is very important.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15177 on: December 06, 2016, 10:11:48 pm »

... nobody wants to tax you for exhaling.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15178 on: December 06, 2016, 10:19:37 pm »

;-;

my thread's real and important ;-;
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15179 on: December 06, 2016, 10:24:01 pm »

Taxing CO2 emissions actually has the indirect concequence of causing companies to develop ways to pollute less.
Pages: 1 ... 1010 1011 [1012] 1013 1014 ... 1249