Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1393631 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13995 on: November 26, 2016, 09:44:12 am »

So, Fidel Castro has died.... of old age at 90.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13996 on: November 26, 2016, 10:01:00 am »

American politicians seem to have a don't rock the boat attitude towards cheating.  You can talk about your opponent cheating during your race but once a winner is decided all conversation ends.

I assume its to maintain the legitimacy of the government.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13997 on: November 26, 2016, 10:02:37 am »

LOL, Jill stein is taking the fools for a fund raising and PR spin. already raised double than what she needed so she could file those recount requests.
That's still short of their total cost estimate--the actual filing fees only make up about a third of that.

You just linked to her own cost estimates which is hardly what you could call an objective cost breakdown analysis.

This is the website at the 23rd 23:40
http://web.archive.org/web/20161123234049/https://jillstein.nationbuilder.com/recount

This is the website at the 24th 00:14
http://web.archive.org/web/20161124034634/https://jillstein.nationbuilder.com/recount

This is the website at the 24th 03:15
http://web.archive.org/web/20161124043128/https://jillstein.nationbuilder.com/recount

Do you happen to notice what was changed to reflect the rise in funding cap? Lawyers fees.

She would need to hire dozens of the country's top most tier lawyers working 24/7 to excuse those sums. is it possible? yeah. is it likely? LOL would be the only viable response.

Lawyers fees is simply an elegant way to say - We're gonna siphon those funds back to us legally. thanks for donating.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13998 on: November 26, 2016, 10:07:45 am »

A lot of it is just pure rhetoric, yes, but if they suspect actual cheating, they can always call for a recount or audit.

Here, it's the integrity of the vote due to suspected hacking that's at stake. Though the suspected part is with a grain of salt because theres no actual proof right now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13999 on: November 26, 2016, 10:15:22 am »

American politicians seem to have a don't rock the boat attitude towards cheating.  You can talk about your opponent cheating during your race but once a winner is decided all conversation ends.

I assume its to maintain the legitimacy of the government.

Well also it is because calling your opponent a cheater would easily depict you as a sore loser.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14000 on: November 26, 2016, 10:38:13 am »

A big part of why the US government has lasted so long and with so few disasters is that there is an ironclad tradition of a smooth transition of power. Fighting the result of the election not only erodes the stability of the state and the public view of the government's legitimacy, but is also likely to look very suspicious to the public. For all Bush II's faults, it is genuinely better that Gore's challenges failed - had Gore successfully reversed the Florida results, he would have been a hamstrung President and probably done more damage than Bush did purely because he rocked the boat. Much the same is true for Hillary, although reversing the vote in a few swing states would be less destructive than the EC going faithless - THAT has the potential to be the biggest controversy since the Lincoln administration.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14001 on: November 26, 2016, 10:46:09 am »

One less dictator in the world
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14002 on: November 26, 2016, 10:47:31 am »

One less dictator in the world

Wait until his replacement...

We don't want to prematurely celebrate like we did with North Korea.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #14003 on: November 26, 2016, 10:48:04 am »

2016 is again taking the best people from the world.  ::)
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14004 on: November 26, 2016, 10:56:41 am »

His replacement? Raul Castro has been running Cuba for a few years now.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14005 on: November 26, 2016, 11:02:14 am »

The last decade, really.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14006 on: November 26, 2016, 11:02:35 am »

Besides, there's a whole apparatus of power independent of the Castro family. They've been very important players, but they're hardly the keystone of the goverment.

Heck, if you google it you can even find the presumptive next "strong man": Miguel Diaz Canel
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14007 on: November 26, 2016, 11:07:15 am »

The core of the cuban government will be ok, fidel was just a representative piece ever since he left the government. His death can only bring good things, however. Its not like cuba will slide further into hell because of it. If anything the loss will enbolden the very last bastions of opposition which haven't been murdered or incarcerated.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14008 on: November 26, 2016, 11:13:30 am »

The core of the cuban government will be ok, fidel was just a representative piece ever since he left the government. His death can only bring good things, however. Its not like cuba will slide further into hell because of it. If anything the loss will enbolden the very last bastions of opposition which haven't been murdered or incarcerated.
Or, it may embolden the vast bastions of oppression to carry on the flame of the revolution in his stead and torch out the last remnants of capitalist filth in their country.

Not that they're going to do that, obviously, since they've been going for thawing relationships with USA... though, if Trump decides to reverse that because "lol Obama", it might change.

._.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14009 on: November 26, 2016, 11:19:57 am »

On the contrary, since Castro was the last popular figure to lead la revolucion and now that he's dead, his bro and cronies would have to exert additional oppressive measures to ensure their continuity, which they have since they took power, btw.
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 1249