Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395303 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13800 on: November 23, 2016, 04:45:39 pm »

[...]

Anyway, [...] sounds like if the Republicans have their way and with the way that Trump is choosing his staff, pretty much every progressive thing in the last 50, 60, years will be rolled back.

If what just happened was the backlash, imagine the front(?)lash....
...As a foreign person reading all that (no time for the link, more 'reading your words'), how is that even possible to roll back progress?
Repealing the laws.
You repeal the laws that were giving people formerly victimized a legal means of resistance. Not very complicated, unfortunately.
Yeah.

It is terrifying.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13801 on: November 23, 2016, 04:46:29 pm »

[...]

Anyway, [...] sounds like if the Republicans have their way and with the way that Trump is choosing his staff, pretty much every progressive thing in the last 50, 60, years will be rolled back.

...As a foreign person reading all that (no time for the link, more 'reading your words'), how is that even possible to roll back progress?

You'd have to read the article to understand better, but that's okay if you don't fully understand.

To summarize though, the Republicans under Paul Ryan with both houses want to repeal replace ACA along with medicare/medicaid, roll back voting rights (voter suppression), financial aid to schools, and a whole bunch of 'dirty liberal' stuff. Now, one of LBJ's (Lyndon Byrd Johnson), JFK's VP, biggest legacies is the Great Society in which he set up a healthcare safety net for the poor and elderly, funding aid to schools, civil rights and voting rights, among a bunch of other stuff.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13802 on: November 23, 2016, 04:48:01 pm »

Well, you see, the arc of history bends towards justice, and then it snaps back, apparently.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13803 on: November 23, 2016, 04:50:55 pm »

Well, you see, the arc of history bends towards justice, and then it snaps back, apparently.

Sometimes violently.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13804 on: November 23, 2016, 05:00:48 pm »

Misidentification.

History arcs between rulers and the ruled. Not justice and oppression, though those are often involved.

Grey. Endless grey.

The 1% feels oppressed when the peasants rise up and put them in guillotines. To them, it is just to ensure they can never do so.

Conversely, the ruled are oppressed by the actions and behaviors of the rulers, and seek to overturn them and rule instead, considering the casting down of said former rulers to be justice.

The truth is cycles between rulers and those ruled. Justice us a human imposed reason tacked on to justify the actions of the currently empowered.

Don't be niave, and believe that if you had the power today, instead of them, that you wouldn't enact very one sided legislation to take what they have accumulated and redistribute it as you see fit, and seek to hobble them to prevent reprisal.

This is a statement made from a purposefully disconnected point of view, to see the whole elephant.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13805 on: November 23, 2016, 05:03:57 pm »

[...]

Have you ever read of Japan's period where it isolated itself from the outside world and rolled back about 100 years of historical development, including guns?

to see the whole elephant.
Grey. Endless grey.
elephants are not exactly grey, they have colors and stuff

also you seem to be a very nihilistic person
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13806 on: November 23, 2016, 05:04:56 pm »

Wise men and an elephant. Look it up.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13807 on: November 23, 2016, 05:06:42 pm »

That's irrelephant.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13808 on: November 23, 2016, 05:07:37 pm »

[...]

Have you ever read of Japan's period where it isolated itself from the outside world and rolled back about 100 years of historical development, including guns?
Yeah :/ I was also partly attributing the phenomenon in recall of how 3 centuries under Spanish rule pretty much destroyed quite a ton of our progress as a country in many, major minor ways here (and what's left in apparent notice is how we 'benefited' from Spanish rule :V).

But the query went to a first world country until I noticed that it seems more like 'waking up' to social equality is more represented by awareness and actual exposure to the people you're serving, finally having time to read the article itself.
I'm wondering if those who had proposed such laws--if such implications are what will most possibly happen--thought about the consequences or implications for all people those laws will affect. That was a nice brush on US history that I hadn't known though. Thanks for the info. :)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13809 on: November 23, 2016, 05:08:38 pm »

[...]

Not really, no.

There's also China, but it's not so much that they rolled back than stagnated when they decided to become isolationist.

[...]

Yeah :/ I was also partly attributing the phenomenon in recall of how 3 centuries under Spanish rule pretty much destroyed quite a ton of our progress as a country in many, major minor ways here (and what's left in apparent notice is how we 'benefited' from Spanish rule :V).

But the query went to a first world country until I noticed that it seems more like 'waking up' to social equality is more represented by awareness and actual exposure to the people you're serving, finally having time to read the article itself.
I'm wondering if those who had proposed such laws--if such implications are what will most possibly happen--thought about the consequences or implications for all people those laws will affect. That was a nice brush on US history that I hadn't known though. Thanks for the info. :)

I doubt they even care very much, these are the same D.C. elietes who ignored the social inequality in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 05:10:45 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13810 on: November 23, 2016, 05:09:29 pm »

That's irrelephant.

I will have to disagree. Bland dismissal of undesirable thoughts is to succumb to bias.  The parable cited is quite apt to mention.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13811 on: November 23, 2016, 05:15:12 pm »

How is that relevant to what you have said.

That's irrelephant.

I will have to disagree. Bland dismissal of undesirable thoughts is to succumb to bias.  The parable cited is quite apt to mention.
tbh you seem very biased yourself towards this nihilistic stuff, it's just that this particular "bias" is hiding behind a label "I'm not a bias".
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13812 on: November 23, 2016, 05:18:53 pm »

How is that relevant to what you have said.

That's irrelephant.

tbh you seem very biased yourself towards this nihilistic stuff, it's just that this particular "bias" is hiding behind a label "I'm not a bias".

Guys, THIS-->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant Is what weird is going on about with elephants, and he isn't being nihilistic.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 05:20:42 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13813 on: November 23, 2016, 05:26:44 pm »

Quite possible. I am very world weary.  However, other people being unable to comprehend me without extensive hand holding does not help either. Since the mention of the parable is confusing, I will hold hands once again.

Like the parable, the people in this discussion are making arguments and theses centered on their own limited experiences, and so find themselves in complete disagreement about the nature if what they are observing.

The people on the far end of the political spectrum that have seized the reins of power, likewise.

Each describes what they see, and how it affects them, but dismiss the reports of the other, favoring more familiar reporting.

I learned a trick to hold two seemingly simultaneously contradicting truths, and see both equally. I find it makes me have to reevaluate my naturally limited perspective, because I can then glimpse the whole elephant, figuratively.

To ever see the whole elephant, you have to see how all claims can be true.

You cannot do that by being dismissive.

The "counter swing" is because of the lack of care or consideration for the other groups impacted by the heavy push toward progressivism in the past century, due to this POV bias.  Try to see the whole elephant, even though it is nihilistic and depressing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13814 on: November 23, 2016, 05:31:46 pm »

However, other people ....

I did understand what you meant (though the 'grey, endless grey' made me think you were doing a poem for a second), which is why I got annoyed at the others not really getting it with the parable.

Edit: Also, to add to what wierd said, there's the echo chambers and filter bubbles.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 05:36:31 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1249