Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394392 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13080 on: November 17, 2016, 01:29:58 am »

"... and then they all remembered Trump was the most liberal Republican candidate in modern history. The end."

Which I tried to tell people in the primaries. I tried to tell people in the election.  NOBODY LISTENED TO ME!

I half expect him to do some horrible, stupid thing, get impeached, and have the vote to remove him from office fail because 38 democrats decide they can hold one over him and extort things.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13081 on: November 17, 2016, 02:01:38 am »

i mean the tea party was basically founded on anti-establishment sentiment

trump (his voters, at least) is the embodiment of anti-establishmentarianism.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: November 17, 2016, 02:37:12 am »

Bernie Sanders demands that Trump undo his appointment of Bannon, as Bernie puts it "The president of the United States should not have a racist at his side".
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13083 on: November 17, 2016, 03:43:38 am »

Bannon is not just a little racist either, he's pretty extremely race paranoid. e.g. his thing about Asians CEOs in Silicon Valley, and how that's a threat to civil society. Apparently because Asians are all inscrutable fu-manchus who can't assimilate into American culture.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 03:45:31 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13084 on: November 17, 2016, 03:47:48 am »

Holy moly that picture of Hillary in my newspaper. She looks like she saw a ghost and died.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/clinton-wilde-na-nederlaag-op-de-bank-kruipen-en-huis-niet-verlaten~a4416920/

EDIT: 169 House Dems join Sanders in demanding Bannon be removed.
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/306378-169-house-dems-to-trump-dump-bannon

EDIT: obligatory cartoon-sharing moment
http://www.volkskrant.nl/foto/collignon-2~p4368444/4199030/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 03:56:07 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13085 on: November 17, 2016, 03:56:08 am »

does that mean you are ditching the queen and joining us yanks whispers?

I still think you have your hands full with Brexit. ;)
Nah just fulfilling the Robo rubio reference

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: November 17, 2016, 04:31:42 am »

Trump talking about taking a $1 salary is a problem.

Washington recognized that having the President receive a salary means the position isn't exclusively open to the independently wealthy, and indeed that having the people provide the income is a reminder that the position is one of public service, at least nominally.

Washington WAS wealthy, and insisted that he would prefer to serve for free, it's own reward and such. Congress voted to give him a salary anyways.

If Trump wants to stay true to whatever promises he made about a $1 salary then to avoid sending the message that only the rich need apply for this position, he should accept the full $400,000 it currently pays and donate it to charity, even keep the $1 symbolically if he wants. Good press, smart message, win/win right?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13087 on: November 17, 2016, 08:16:33 am »

The fundamental difference is that Washington was President 1 while Trump will be President 45. Pretty much everything Washington did became a traditional part of the Presidency, while modern presidents make one or two traditions at most.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: November 17, 2016, 09:38:04 am »

lol.... one of my favorite comics gave brother America a Trump makeover... http://satwcomic.com/makeover-of-2016

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: November 17, 2016, 10:51:16 am »

Ah yes, I freaked out when I bumped into Humon on imgur right when they joined and proudly told them that everything I know about Scandinavia comes from their comic.

Also, uh, the Chicago Tribune is sorta kinda a big deal isn't it?

I'm not sure I'm comfortable learning that my crazy absurd-pothead-rambling-long-since-snipped-due-to-a-misunderstanding hypothesis about why /pol/ takes credit for shitposting Trump into office last week was also picked up by the tribune, which is a bit less amusing since the Post also ran it, though there are other forces to blame like walled social media gardens and the influence of trending algorithms when pumped by a bunch of kids over in Macedonia shitposting for ad revenue didn't help.

Still, as absurd as the idea is, and as much as I prefer being correct... I'd much rather be wrong here. The idea of having to take /pol/ seriously as a political force is not a pleasant one.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: November 17, 2016, 11:03:56 am »

Their giddyness at becoming politically relevant will wear off sooner or later and also sooner or later, they'll realize they'll have to take things seriously.

There's a few other internet based political parties. It's simply a natural outgrowth of the internet and social media. Though social media connections are making it even more possible.

I don't like the idea of 4Chan becoming a serious political party very much either, but in say, 20 years time, who knows how things will look, we're in uncharted territory. Well, not completely uncharted.

Also, I find it odd that Nikki Haley is being considered for Secretary of State, since she has zero foriegn policy experience.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:08:56 am by smjjames »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13091 on: November 17, 2016, 11:07:54 am »

We need to talk them into getting Nicholas Cage elected next for maximum memes.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13092 on: November 17, 2016, 11:12:24 am »

Pretty sure I mentioned it earlier, but... again. While the internet stuff did have some influence, it was only some. The thing about /pol/ is that by and large (so far as I'm aware, anyway, as I don't actually spend much time browsing it), most of the shit they spew is either explicitly coming out of non-net media already (and has been longer than the internet has had pictures) or cheerfully in line with it, sometimes fairly promptly looping back into it.

Think a fair amount of the hubbub on that front is that folks in more built up areas, or more connected to internet and its goings on, and so on, are significantly overestimating their effect (just due to how much more the internet et al is part of their lives) and severely underestimating what was already circulating around. People not around it with some degree of regularity don't seem to realize exactly how virulent talk radio (and the other offline venues for "information" propagation) is, and has been for decades. The horn tooting on their end probably adds to it, too, but any influence the online alt-right et al had was piggybacking pretty hard on the infrastructure (for lack of a better word at the moment) that was already there.

Basically, you don't really need to take them seriously until the internet finishes really sinking into our nation, and finishes strangling out TV, radio, and so on. Still a ways to go, on that front, particularly with regards to likely voters (and/or people with notable political influence).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13093 on: November 17, 2016, 11:14:34 am »

Kanye West has already announced that he'll run for POTUS 2020, though. There's only so many places for celebrities to run... though an idea of the election that would consist entirely of celebrities is a pretty hilarious one.

Really, really bad, but hilarious nonetheless.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: November 17, 2016, 11:19:50 am »

Kanye West has already announced that he'll run for POTUS 2020, though. There's only so many places for celebrities to run... though an idea of the election that would consist entirely of celebrities is a pretty hilarious one.

Really, really bad, but hilarious nonetheless.

Not even the first time an actor has been President, Reagan was a popular Western (as in Wild West) actor in his day. I don't think we've ever had a musician or music artist for President though. The closest would be those who have some talent like Bill Clinton does with the Sax.

Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1249