Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1394393 times)

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #13065 on: November 16, 2016, 07:00:20 pm »

Protester trying to block a highway gets hit by a car.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13066 on: November 16, 2016, 07:00:36 pm »

Let's dispel with this fiction that Donald Trump doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. He's undertaking a systematic effort to change this country...
That is why we need to repeal Obama care and Dodd Frank

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13067 on: November 16, 2016, 07:02:44 pm »

does that mean you are ditching the queen and joining us yanks whispers?

I still think you have your hands full with Brexit. ;)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13068 on: November 16, 2016, 07:13:20 pm »

Now, back to "dangerous Donald"..

The law, says the president may appoint the heads of executive agencies, tasked with various mandates. It does little to restrict his/her choices, by design. (Legislators are very fearful of restricting power for some reason.)

As a consequence of the american electorate being stupid, they have chosen the god emperor of bad investment and corporate malfeasance to that office, and now he is selecting heads of those organizations.

His selections are shamelessly pro corporate corruption, and people are more worried about who they can legally fuck.

Yeah, him being pro-corporation and a corporate shill and arguably corrupt to boot is no surprise, but they still have to pass the Senate. However, Cabinet members aren't rejected all that often, 9 according to this article (it's old, but I was checking about what it takes to confirm a Cabinet member, doubt the requirements have changed since 2001)

Also, Roger Stone predicts that Trump will reach across the aisle and pick some Democrats for some stuff. Reaching across the aisle would be nice, when was the last time a President did that for their Cabinet and other high level positions? Though with the Senate the way it is, I doubt a Democrat would get through, at least not easily.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 07:23:24 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13069 on: November 16, 2016, 07:44:14 pm »

Given who is in the senate, I am not very confident about his appointments being rejected.

(It would interfere with the 'no, that doesn't actually happen' quid pro quo if getting cooshy  lobbyist jobs later on, and getiing stinky effing rich by gaming the system, that Republican senators are renowned for.)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13070 on: November 16, 2016, 07:47:37 pm »

Also, Roger Stone predicts that Trump will reach across the aisle and pick some Democrats for some stuff. Reaching across the aisle would be nice, when was the last time a President did that for their Cabinet and other high level positions? Though with the Senate the way it is, I doubt a Democrat would get through, at least not easily.

And what democrat would join a Cabinet with Steve Bannon in it, serving under Mike Pence and Donald Trump?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13071 on: November 16, 2016, 07:51:23 pm »

And what democrat would join a Cabinet with Steve Bannon in it, serving under Mike Pence and Donald Trump?

A dirty two-bit Dem corporate CEO maybe? (slight ironic reference to Trump himself, lol) The Republicans would outright reject a Democrat anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13072 on: November 16, 2016, 08:10:58 pm »

He should ask apples CEO. That's pure troll if he does.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13074 on: November 16, 2016, 10:50:30 pm »

"... and then they all remembered Trump was the most liberal Republican candidate in modern history. The end."
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13075 on: November 16, 2016, 10:53:09 pm »

Well we knew he wanted to ban lobbyists during his campaign.

As well as foreign campaign funding (hypocritically he benefited from it)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13076 on: November 16, 2016, 10:54:50 pm »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/donald-trump-lobbying-ban-231534

Wow. That is unexpected.

Not entirely, he's said he'd get that into law for for his first 100 days.

Also, he's meeting with Nikki Haley for... something tomorrow, possibly State Department, that's the rumor, but could be other Cabinet positions. That he's considering her is a bit surprising since she has been pretty critical of him and Trump values loyalty. Maybe he sees something in her besides being a cluster of body parts.

edit: Also, he's meeting with the Japanese PM Shinzo Abe tomorrow, will be interesting how that ends up.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:58:22 pm by smjjames »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13077 on: November 16, 2016, 11:09:10 pm »

@the discussion on the protests: There's plenty of other reasons why they're protesting besides the election result, the way he ran his campaign on racism and bigotry dogwhistles for one.

I dunno, literally saying that he thinks Mexican immirgrants are rapists isn't really even dogwhistling anymore. It's not even just whistling; it's outright trumpeting. Taking into consideration his statements and stated policy goals, he's got a full brass band.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13078 on: November 16, 2016, 11:10:09 pm »

Also, he's meeting with Nikki Haley for... something tomorrow, possibly State Department, that's the rumor, but could be other Cabinet positions. That he's considering her is a bit surprising since she has been pretty critical of him and Trump values loyalty. Maybe he sees something in her besides being a cluster of body parts.
Or maybe he just wants to grab her by the pussy. He may feel a bit of impunity considering he got elected regardless of his stance on that sort of thing.

edit: Also, he's meeting with the Japanese PM Shinzo Abe tomorrow, will be interesting how that ends up.
Maybe to tell him that OUR WORDS ARE BACKED BY NUCLEAR WEAPONS (AND SO CAN YOU!)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13079 on: November 16, 2016, 11:45:02 pm »

"... and then they all remembered Trump was the most liberal Republican candidate in modern history. The end."
The messed up thing is that a lobbying ban on administration hires might actually be the exact opposite of liberal in trump's case. You just have to think for a second what sort of folks in the right wing would be willing to make the sort of commitment that article talks about. There's only really two choices, tbh -- corrupt as hell/independently wealthy (which is about as close to the same in GOP aligned folks as you can get, even moreso than for left-wing folks), or idealistic/fanatic. Conceptually someone down to earth that's not either but doesn't care much about future political influence, but, uh. GOP aligned. That might apply to some of their voting base but it doesn't apply to much else.

Anti-establishment (if that) doesn't necessarily entail liberal, unfortunately. By any means.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 1249