Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1390053 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #12570 on: November 14, 2016, 07:23:57 pm »

Quote from: Donald Trump
"Anyone who is in the United States illegally is subject to deportation."

Out of interest, does anyone here disagree with this?

It seems like common sense to me. Otherwise, what's the point of having a distinction between legal and illegal entry of the country in the first place?
The function of the law is, and always is, selective in enforcement. The state is not a computer you run law software on, it's still an organization made up of human beings and thus subject to a constant level of practical scrutiny.

Marijuana is still federally illegal in the United States and therefore technically illegal even when states abolish their laws against it. This doesn't change the reality that whenever a state legalizes it the DAs throw out all their possession and usage cases and tell the DEA that it's their expensive problem now. You even see incidents in states where it's still illegal where enforcement is spotty at best. I can't find it because it was so long ago, but I once saw a video with a University of Connecticut police officer answering a very upset man that they weren't going to be enforcing marijuana laws at the university's protest against them because it was far too dangerous to rile up a crowd of people over a nonviolent offense.

And it's nonviolent offenses where enforcement discretion thrives in both the legal and policing arenas. Very few issues of this nature have united public opinion, unlike say, "everybody who commits a murder should be imprisoned". So not only do you have lawmakers and cops who don't want to deal with it because it's a waste, but you also have lawmakers and cops who feel the urge to subvert penalizing people they don't think are doing anything wrong. That's not even getting into things that stand before juries. Going back to the previous example, if support for ending the drug war gets much stronger it doesn't matter how hard the state tries to keep the laws on the books and how many times you warn the jurors against nullification, they're not going to play along. And if the jurors aren't likely to play along, why would the DA bother? And if the DA doesn't bother, why do the cops bother? And if the cops don't bother, why would you follow the laws most people don't give a shit about?

Thus bringing us to illegal immigration. Almost everybody who lives in the southern half of the United States knows illegal immigrants, and way, way more people know people they don't know are illegal immigrants *coughcanadianscough*. Now that adds an even further dimension. Because once you have people like that in the circles you know it stops being an abstract issue and takes on a very real and very human certainty. Because at that point you aren't deporting the lawbreakers, you're deporting your neighbors. Not only that, but you're deporting them based on the failures of the state, because even the most fervent far-right Trump-voting shit-kicking Texan believes in legal immigration. Wanting everybody out is a step too far for almost all Americans. We get more immigrants than anywhere else on the planet, and if USCIS wasn't fucked this would be a non-issue.

Getting on to Trump for a moment, he says he's going to funding starve the sanctuary cities until they allow him to deport their illegal immigrants. And this is where the plan breaks down. He's suggesting that he's going to cut all, ALL federal funding to that list of cities? That's like 100 million people, if you count their metropolitan areas (and you should). Allow me to laugh even harder.

So yes, I do not support deportation of illegal immigrants. I support deportation of criminal immigrants, by which I mean people who actually committed a violent crime instead of violating state regulations, but everybody supports that so it's barely worth mentioning and does not describe the reality of almost all immigrants. Because even aside from all that, they're not even unwanted people. If USCIS could process at lightspeed and wasn't constrained by nonsense HomeSec paranoia and having no funding, they'd almost all be legal immigrants. If that isn't enough for you, again, you have to pull some borderline-Nazi shit to get those millions and millions out of the country by force even if you actually keep to that and don't start mass killings.

Amnesty is the way to go. Patching USCIS is almost more important, but amnesty is both the right thing to do and the practical solution, which every high-level contender besides Trump realizes even if they won't say it. Hell, maybe even Trump realizes it, with how hard he's refused to describe what mechanism will be used for mass deportation.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:25:38 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12571 on: November 14, 2016, 07:28:08 pm »

Illegal immigrants doesn't just mean "people who snuck in" and definitely doesn't mean "drug smugglers, thieves, rapists, criminals fleeing HERE ironically, and so forth" in 1/3 to 1/2 of cases it means "people who were here legally and don't have a valid visa any longer" and I'm sure it costs more to send people back than process to keep them. How far will $600 get you? Pretty far if you purchase bus tickets in advance and are following existing lines, see the problem there though?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12572 on: November 14, 2016, 07:32:16 pm »

MSH:

If you don't also fix immigration, you will just keep repeating the amnesty every 20 to 30 years.  Reagan issued a huge amnesty, but immigration stayed broken, and incentive for illegal labor remained.

Issuance of work visas forces the system to process them the right way, shines light where the failing is, and forces govt to fix it.

Amnesty just kicks the can down the road.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12573 on: November 14, 2016, 07:34:27 pm »

well yes

that's because if we don't kick the can down the road

the road will suddenly increase in length by orders of magnitude

wereas if we kick the can a bit

we could fix the road up

and then be able to deal with the can when we get to it again

not that we'll fix the road but still

immigration non-haiku 2017
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12574 on: November 14, 2016, 07:35:18 pm »

MSH:

If you don't also fix immigration, you will just keep repeating the amnesty every 20 to 30 years.  Reagan issued a huge amnesty, but immigration stayed broken, and incentive for illegal labor remained.

Issuance of work visas forces the system to process them the right way, shines light where the failing is, and forces govt to fix it.

I said unfucking USCIS was equally if not more important.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12575 on: November 14, 2016, 07:38:12 pm »

The other issue is that Trump treats illegal immigrants as uhh what is the term for a bad person? it is like delinquent?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12576 on: November 14, 2016, 07:39:58 pm »

Bad person is one of the more catchall terms. Subhuman would probably work, too. Degenerate, probably a few more along those lines. Delinquent doesn't quite fit, bit too neutral.

Criminal fits, too, especially considering the usage of illegal there, heh. Part of me almost wondered if insistence on using that terminology once in office might not bite someone in the ass. Plenty of unauthorized immigrants would love being able to grab onto due process.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:42:30 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: November 14, 2016, 07:41:00 pm »

Bad person is one of the more catchall terms. Subhuman would probably work, too. Degenerate, probably a few more along those lines. Delinquent doesn't quite fit, bit too neutral.

Ahh yes Degenerate!

The other problem is the majority of "Illegal immigration based crimes" are done by... American citizens...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:44:59 pm by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12578 on: November 14, 2016, 07:45:48 pm »

Deplorable?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: November 14, 2016, 07:50:03 pm »

MSH:

I said unfucking USCIS was equally if not more important.

So far, the govt has shown it gives exactly zero fucks about actually fixing immigration.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12580 on: November 14, 2016, 07:50:44 pm »

criminals fleeing HERE ironically
Frickin' hipster criminals, coming over here and deluging us with their artisanal small-batch meth and their thievery-as-performance-art. At least they're easy to spot; anyone who answers questioning with a roll of their eyes and a "pshyeah, sure I'm here legally" and then goes off to write bad poetry about the overlooked simplicity and purity of 16-hour days picking strawberries, well...
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12581 on: November 14, 2016, 07:51:03 pm »

Sargon

If Sargon is on Earth we have a PROBLEM.

I guess we aren't in the most bizarre timeline after all, since there's no super-secret-agent infiltrating Trump Tower right now.
Is this close enough?

remove politics remove politics

Replied in Ameripol~
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: November 14, 2016, 08:14:06 pm »

Lol the Michael Moore troll.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12583 on: November 14, 2016, 08:29:20 pm »

Going rate in fees is something like $600 per person, IIRC.

In my singular experience, yes. $590, though that's for immigrating. They charge another $690, I think, for citizenship.

Also, my experience of actually calling USCIS was not good ("visit your local immigration center, call a lawyer") and actually going to the center wasn't great either, and the tracking number thing I got stopped actually tracking my case after they acknowledged they received the paperwork.

Tons of securitah
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: November 14, 2016, 08:32:52 pm »

new McCarthyism you mean.

isis is the new red menace. complete with government watchlists. we just dont have islamic concentration camps.

yet.
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1249