Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1392436 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #11115 on: November 09, 2016, 07:11:29 pm »

You um, might want to remove that kek square, don't want you to get banned over it.
Kek square itself isin't offensive.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11116 on: November 09, 2016, 07:12:14 pm »

You um, might want to remove that kek square, don't want you to get banned over it.
Kek square itself isin't offensive.

Oh, my mistake then, wasn't sure on it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11117 on: November 09, 2016, 07:12:59 pm »

Yeah, it's fine. Bit obnoxious, but that's about it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11118 on: November 09, 2016, 07:18:18 pm »

Know your meme says "kek" is a memeized transliteration of laughter, based on korean, also with implications of the cult of kek, which synthesizes an ancient anthropomorphic frog deity associated with primordial chaos of the same name, with coopted images of pepe the frog due to physical similarity.

Other than being a troll ideogram, associated with general chaos and laughter, I fail to see what could be offensive enough about said "kek square" to warrant banning...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11119 on: November 09, 2016, 07:21:37 pm »

Well, um, in an attempt at some positive news, the California advisory question on overturning Citizens United passed. The similar bill in Washington failed though, and this one seems mostly symbolic and I'm not entirely sure what actions may actually come of it. If anything, it's still making a statement.

Know your meme says "kek" is a memeized transliteration of laughter, based on korean, also with implications of the cult of kek, which synthesizes an ancient anthropomorphic frog deity associated with primordial chaos of the same name, with coopted images of pepe the frog due to physical similarity.

Other than being a troll ideogram, associated with general chaos and laughter, I fail to see what could be offensive enough about said "kek square" to warrant banning...

The diagonal, mostly. Just ask Orange Wizard.

It was a joke about the middle part that led to his banning, but nobody's doing that here, so, we should be okay. But I was erring on the side of caution there.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11120 on: November 09, 2016, 07:22:05 pm »

Ninjaed, but yes the diagonals seem to be the point.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11121 on: November 09, 2016, 07:22:20 pm »

"Yeah, anyone who disagrees with me is autistic/racist/stupid/misogynist/narcissistic!"
Translated: Anyone who has different opinions must have something wrong with them.

Related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11122 on: November 09, 2016, 07:22:43 pm »

That's all trolling or genuine ignorance. "kek" comes from WoW, thanks to Horde and Alliance players seeing the speech of players from the opposite faction as position-shifted garbage text. A Horde player who typed "lol" would read to an Alliance player as "kek".

It's literally just "lol" but with more 'net culture and gamer in-group signaling.

"kekeke" is the Korean one, an onomatopoeia for laughter which reached cultural awareness in the Brood War scene, IIRC, and thus became associated with the Zerg. Similar form, different etymological origin.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11123 on: November 09, 2016, 07:26:13 pm »

I am of the opinion that while I may not share an opinion, it is not proper for me to dictate my own onto another person.  I am mature enough to handle racial extremists, like the KKK in this manner. They can hold their views, and I shall disagree with them.  When they cause physical, psychic, or financial harm in pursuance of dictating their views onto others, then and only then do I feel they need correction.  Holding the view itself us not something I will demonize. That way leads to ministry of love level horror.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11124 on: November 09, 2016, 07:27:50 pm »

Shit's sake folks, I'm not insulting anyone, sorry if you took it that way, not my intent or point.

Well, it kinda is my point: words and ideas can do all sorts of things and mean different things depending on the intent and context

Generally /pol/ uses those words but actually mean "applied use of near-obsessive attention to trivia and obscure details" ok?

Simply dismissing the idea doesn't seem like a good idea to me, I was hoping that they wouldn't be able to pull it off, so I could smugly write them off, taking comfort in knowing that no lulz were to be had this time.

Whether you or I think they actually had any influence or not, they are certain they did, and that amuses them. That encourages them. Dismissing them means they would find it funnier to prove you wrong, maybe next time they'll find a way to get an actual anon elevated to office, or see if they can manipulate the mid-term elections so the initials of the representatives spell out something funny or obscure or anything at all.

This is what they do for fun, and it played some role in getting Trump elected. The sooner we come to terms with that, the sooner we can deal with it or use it or do anything but be blindsided time and again.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11125 on: November 09, 2016, 07:28:34 pm »

I never saw what it was that Orange Wizard did with the KEK, only the aftermath.

Is there any reason why that square cannot be:

KEK
EEE
KEK (more KEKs for your money)

or

EKE
KEK
EKE (retains the checkerboard theme)

..?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11126 on: November 09, 2016, 07:31:44 pm »

It could conceivably be taken that the used kek square is an idiographic representation of laughing about the KKK. Either in derision or in support of.

I consider that a stretch, and encourage having thicker skin than that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11127 on: November 09, 2016, 07:38:46 pm »

@starver: Probably, but no idea.

@Max: 4Chan becoming a political party? That'd be crazy, like Alice in Wonderland crazy. It's a truism that once you have a taste of power, you hunger for more.

Then again, the Pirate party (in a couple countries) is also an internet based party, so, not outside the realm of possibility.

I'm not sure what the usual sterotype of those 'anons' are, but from what I know, they'd be even worse at governing than the Tea Party people were.

It could conceivably be taken that the used kek square is an idiographic representation of laughing about the KKK. Either in derision or in support of.

I consider that a stretch, and encourage having thicker skin than that.

I just wanted to err on the side of caution on Kot's part as I wasn't sure if it was okay.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11128 on: November 09, 2016, 07:39:06 pm »

I'd like to make prince Harry a legitimate claimant of the Kingdom of Murica.

Want to see how fast Nato will be disrupted and Britain a smoking ruin?

Oh, Sir, when my master plan has begun to unveil, he will be kindly but firmly offered the throne... Heeeh-heheheeh-heeeh....

That's all trolling or genuine ignorance. "kek" comes from WoW, thanks to Horde and Alliance players seeing the speech of players from the opposite faction as position-shifted garbage text. A Horde player who typed "lol" would read to an Alliance player as "kek".

It's literally just "lol" but with more 'net culture and gamer in-group signaling.

"kekeke" is the Korean one, an onomatopoeia for laughter which reached cultural awareness in the Brood War scene, IIRC, and thus became associated with the Zerg. Similar form, different etymological origin.

I do remember that. From when before the internet went weird. Heh, kek was even a real-life phrase in my class for a brief while, when WoW was peaking and a lot of people played. When a meme was an in-joke getting passed along and altered here and there. Aaah... Good old days, when I had a vague idea of what was going on. Redubbing Lord of the Rings so that all the characters are incredibly rude and upload it to (brand new and exciting) Youtube; easy enough to grasp, and does not require you to go down an ironic/counter-ironic wormhole.

Now, it's sort of like that word that rhymes with duck and involves another C (that may or may not be considered very bad form here, and I'm not risking it). It's an immediate "I likely have nothing whatsoever to offer, so treat the following word miasma with that in mind"-signal. Not necessarily a "Stop listening here"-signal, but certainly a low standard mark.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11129 on: November 09, 2016, 07:45:32 pm »

guys ow got banned cuz his 'joke' involved a url with the word N****** in it

it has nothing or little to nothing to do with the weird memetangle you got going there
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 1249