Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388031 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #10620 on: November 09, 2016, 04:16:48 am »

He hasn't even been sworn in yet. I'm trying to be relatively positive about the future for once, Jesus Christ a lot of you sound like you're about to jump in front of a train. I really think you guys are overreacting way too early. There's no telling how effective Trump would actually be after he's spent months campaigning that the whole government is corrupt. Now he has to work with that corrupt government he's been painting as the enemy if he actually wants to do shit.
Uh, yeah. The part of it that's been walking in lockstop with the guy even as they both spew shite at each other, and now have majority in house and senate. The same corrupt government he's going to have the ability to appoint SC members to. It's theoretically possible things aren't going to turn out too bad. If you've actually been paying an ounce of attention you know it's going to take something really bloody unusual happening for that to occur. Some of us have actually been paying something of attention to what the GOP and their president elect have been stating they want to do. The "positive" outcome for that going through is merely bad, and for all they may be at personal loggerheads to whatever degree the policy positions proposed, particularly those of substantial impact, are right in line with each other.

Literally the only positive outcome from this that doesn't involve trump and most of the GOP 180ing on their stated intent is our government imploding on itself for the next four years and managing to not set civil rights and our economy back decades by dint of being completely gridlocked. Otherwise? GOP and trump manage to get most or even some of their major policy points from this cycle through? Trade's fucked; we've effectively been promised trade wars by our POTUS candidate. The economy's fucked, just about everything he and the GOP have proposed are riddled with magic asterisks, and they intend to cut federal spending besides. Civil rights laws are going to be tried to be turned further back than I've been alive -- as noted, we now have a VP that literally advocates for something that kills LGBT citizens, and the GOP will be entirely too cheerful to go along with whatever's suggested that fucks minorities. Trump's stated policy goal (PoH mentioned his contract; it's on there) is to strangle our governmental workforce (and that's something the GOP will wholeheartedly support), so infrastructure, vital services, etc.? Fucked. Gods help us if he actually acts on the international stage anything like he has on his personal, business, or political levels. If he does hope other countries are understanding and forgive whoever takes power next time.

There's no positive to this unless just about every promise and policy goal that trump and the GOP have set was a lie, or they end up completely and totally ineffectual at implementing most of them. It could happen! But this shit ain't a good foundation for it.

I'm pissed beyond all human comprehension, but you guys are just being pathetic about this.

There are three components to the US government, and Trump only controls one, while the republicans do control one of the others, they have a vested interest in not doing shit that causes the entire nation to explode (they don't care about the people who fall through the cracks tho'.)  Trump cannot actually wreck the US or anyone else on his own, he NEEDS the House to back him or he can't do shit except write those lovely executive orders that can't actually change anything.

Stop whining.
Null, the house and senate are now GOP majority. Trump will be appointing anywhere from 1-5 SC justices, and have a congress that will rubberstamp them -- by the end of these four years we will have a conservative majority SCOTUS unless something goes really sodding strange. Trump's only got the legislative (nevermind that can bugger the country hard -- those lovely executive orders can do a whole hell of a lot), but the GOP is going to go in this with it all. The only checks and balances realistically available are what the congress minority can manage, unless somehow him and the GOP don't work together on most subjects (protip: Unless trump reveals himself to be a dem plant that's not going to happen).

Also the GOP has demonstrated repeatedly they are entirely willing to do shit that will explode the country, and those people that fall through the cracks are friends, family, and my own goddamn self. This ain't whining mate, this is being legitimately worried about a person and a group that has both the stated intent and history of trying to fuck me, mine, and my entire country.

And yeah, maybe progress can't be halted but I can damn sure be out friends and family (or myself, if shit goes south enough and the state's social safety net gets fucked by GOP rampancy) within the next four years.

But nah, I'm worried as fuck but not panicking, yet. Ask me again when I start getting news of folks needing to arrange for friends' funerals, or if the markets don't recover quickly from the dive they're currently experiencing. Unlike conservatives under obama me and mine actually have to goddamn worry about that.

A good start would be for the arab oil countries to boycot US. No oil for muslim haters.
I'm pretty sure a part of Trump's platform was getting the US more energy independent. So arab oil countries stopping oil importing to the US would only further incentivize the implementation of that particular policy.
Yeah, it was, and part of that policy implementation involves the more or less complete removal of any and all safety or environmental regulation on that domestic power. Color me doubtful it's a good thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10621 on: November 09, 2016, 04:19:01 am »

Well, I looked it up, and Pence really is that bad. Jesus.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: November 09, 2016, 04:20:20 am »

We're in a politics thread, Revengeace has a senator in it. More relevant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44BJqoUqJYE
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10623 on: November 09, 2016, 04:23:31 am »

You make good points. I want to be optimistic, but we'll have to see how things go, I guess.

I want to know how you can be optimistic after this.

I, personally, found three more beers. Optimism ftw.
I was mostly apathetic about the presidential election, and am generally okay with one of the congressional republican factions. I am beginning to worry about the other faction, but I'm also going to wait and see how things start actually going before coming to any final judgements. Also because I'm worried that panic, even if understandable, will end up hurting people -- if people panic and hurt or kill themselves about this, that would be/probably is crushing

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10624 on: November 09, 2016, 04:24:09 am »

A good start would be for the arab oil countries to boycot US. No oil for muslim haters.

The days where Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries can squeeze the world's balls with their oil are long gone. it would be a commercial and political suicide for Saudi Arabia and would hurt them far more than it would hurt the U.S.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: November 09, 2016, 04:25:32 am »

Maybe if things are that bad in two years people will have enough incentive to vote for whatever non-republican senators/representatives are available and change the balance of power in congress to either reduce the influence of POTUS and courts on policies, or impeach Trump or something.

I'm still hopeful this is just overreaction and things won't actually get as bad as everyone is (loudly) saying. Going to sleep now.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: November 09, 2016, 04:27:44 am »

I dont see him getting another term.

I see things going 2008 financial crash bad, but with incompetent leadership instead.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: November 09, 2016, 04:29:02 am »

Maybe if things are that bad in two years people will have enough incentive to vote for whatever non-republican senators/representatives are available and change the balance of power in congress to either reduce the influence of POTUS and courts on policies, or impeach Trump or something.

I'm still hopeful this is just overreaction and things won't actually get as bad as everyone is (loudly) saying. Going to sleep now.

Unfortunately, when you wake up, things will still be utterly shit.

I'm 10 beers drunk, but that's still the most sensible outcome.

I dont see him getting another term.

I see things going 2008 financial crash bad, but with incompetent leadership instead.

You are far too optimistic. GW had a fucking war based on false intelligence and he got two terms.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: November 09, 2016, 04:30:07 am »

Since I don't have anything to contribute except more worry, live footage of anti-Trump protesters and counter-protestors in Portland, OR. Just heard the guy say that there hasn't been a single cop the entire time.

Edit because I completely misread the description and thought they were shouting "Vote Donald Trump", not "Fuck Donald Trump".
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 04:32:52 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: November 09, 2016, 04:36:11 am »

I honestly think America did choose the better candidate.

But anyhow, you guys can thank the DNC for stealing the primary from Sanders.  And Trump can thanks them too, he would have lost against him.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10630 on: November 09, 2016, 04:37:58 am »

I'm half expecting the Liberal Crime Squad to appear. The memes are dank and beacuase.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10631 on: November 09, 2016, 04:38:17 am »

Fuck Donald anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10632 on: November 09, 2016, 04:39:03 am »

That is my entire point, he doesn't even care about foreign policy, he really only gives any fucks about economic policy, specifically on the domestic side.  And while he has all sorts of opportunities to make a massive mess of that, I doubt it could really fuck us as badly as Dubbya's tenure and the housing market collapse.

O ye of little faith. In all the history of the world there has never been a demagogue to have seized such a lofty position of power. A true demagogue now heads the most powerful nation on earth. This is going to be fun. Sit back and watch it burn. It's going to be one hell of a fire. 

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: November 09, 2016, 04:41:36 am »

The dollar has already crashed as hard as the pound after the Brexit. So did the Mexican peso. It could be just initial financial panic, might recover.
I have a small number of shares in a US company (that I used to work for), which I was actually hoping I could rely on for a bit of a boost if the pound crashed much more. Now I have to kerp an eye on the dollar as welll...  (Nobody ever said I was a financial genius... These shares are from before even the 2008 big-dip, so I've been content to let them ride before, and it looks like I will continue to even now.)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10634 on: November 09, 2016, 04:42:36 am »

The dollar has already crashed as hard as the pound after the Brexit. So did the Mexican peso. It could be just initial financial panic, might recover.
I have a small number of shares in a US company (that I used to work for), which I was actually hoping I could rely on for a bit of a boost if the pound crashed much more. Now I have to kerp an eye on the dollar as welll...  (Nobody ever said I was a financial genius... These shares are from before even the 2008 big-dip, so I've been content to let them ride before, and it looks like I will continue to even now.)
That is my entire point, he doesn't even care about foreign policy, he really only gives any fucks about economic policy, specifically on the domestic side.  And while he has all sorts of opportunities to make a massive mess of that, I doubt it could really fuck us as badly as Dubbya's tenure and the housing market collapse.

O ye of little faith. In all the history of the world there has never been a demagogue to have seized such a lofty position of power. A true demagogue now heads the most powerful nation on earth. This is going to be fun. Sit back and watch it burn. It's going to be one hell of a fire.

I'm sorry, Hitler and Mussolini.

Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 1249