Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1387642 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2016, 02:57:15 pm »

Meh, that was a different era, before MOAR DAKKA became a bonafide red-blooded conservative value. I don't see it be likely to lead to gun control so much as lead to further militarization of the police.
Fair enough. I'll still hold onto the hope though, for another few hours at least.

Incidentally, rumor is that this is the US's first lethal use of a drone (read: unmanned/remotely piloted vehicle) on US soil, against a US citizen no less. Still looking for official confirmation on that one, but is seems plausible. They might not have meant to kill him with it but it could still be a worrying precedent.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2016, 03:02:21 pm »

Fair enough. I'll still hold onto the hope though, for another few hours at least.

Incidentally, rumor is that this is the US's first lethal use of a drone (read: unmanned/remotely piloted vehicle) on US soil, against a US citizen no less. Still looking for official confirmation on that one, but is seems plausible. They might not have meant to kill him with it but it could still be a worrying precedent.
Slippery droidslope fallacy

Anyways looks to be
Worse still, his death wasn't revealed by the U.S. government for months, partly because it took a long investigation to actually confirm it, according to the Wall Street Journal. It's enough to make you wonder how many Americans have been killed by U.S. drone strikes – and how many were killed on purpose.
2spooky

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2016, 04:09:01 pm »

Hey! Drone Strikes are still 100% just and we should keep using them! Especially in public areas!

We would use it on American soil if we could because they are just that reliable! That man probably jumped in front of a drone just to excite liberal media.

Damn dirty terrorists blowing people up with lots of innocent civilians around. America would NEVER stoop so low!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 04:15:15 pm by Neonivek »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2016, 04:16:22 pm »

The moral of the story is, Americans, don't go overseas if you're a criminal, you might get a drone visit for those unpaid parking tickets, or that software piracy you pretend you weren't doing. Go team freedom!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2016, 04:30:33 pm »

The moral of the story is, Americans, don't go overseas if you're a criminal, you might get a drone visit for those unpaid parking tickets, or that software piracy you pretend you weren't doing. Go team freedom!
And if you stay at home, you might get a Bomb-O-Gram courtesy of the local PD.

You know who the real victim is in all this? Robots. They didn't ask for this, and now when I see one I'm going to be wondering "Is Johnny Five there packing a bomb?"
#RobotLivesDon'tMatterBecauseThey'reNotAliveToStartWith

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2016, 04:32:56 pm »

Nowhere is safe...

*commences panic*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2016, 04:35:35 pm »

Dredd is awesome as a person, its his job title that got knickers in a twist

Imagine if in addition to your police, your judges walked around the streets piloting bomb droids into criminals
"You just got Ruth Bader Ginsberg'D, bitch!"

Incidentally I was born just north of the DFW metroplex, lived in and all around Dallas for the first 16 years of my life, there were times when I recall hearing about record homicide numbers, but can't remember anything about cops executing suspects or being gunned down in deliberate ambushes, though I do remember a few cases where shootouts ended with dead on both sides.

I never lived in the deepest parts of South Dallas, which was like 60% of the entire metroplex homicide rate as I recall, why I flat out broke down laughing when someone in a suburb of Louisville told me they were in a gang. There were parts of South Dallas that weren't "keep the doors locked" territory, they were flat out "don't drive less than 75 whether you're on I-35 or not, and try to avoid having to go through there at all" types of places for a while. Closest I got was a stray bullet through a window when we lived in East Dallas for a bit.

Ever heard a lowrider thumping La Cucharacha? It's a heck of a thing at 3 am. Felt like screaming at them for the loud assholery AND being so damned stereotypical.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2016, 07:30:19 pm »

Meh, that was a different era, before MOAR DAKKA became a bonafide red-blooded conservative value. I don't see it be likely to lead to gun control so much as lead to further militarization of the police.

Pretty sure we've already nailed U.S. citizens with drone strikes. They just happened to not be on U.S. soil at the time.

But yeah, no prize for anyone who predicted as soon as they heard that suspects wouldn't live to see trial. You don't do premeditated cop-killings in the U.S. unless you're prepared to get justifiable-killing'd.  :-X

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2016, 07:43:48 pm »

Dredd is awesome as a person, its his job title that got knickers in a twist

Imagine if in addition to your police, your judges walked around the streets piloting bomb droids into criminals
"You just got Ruth Bader Ginsberg'D, bitch!"
I reckon you could leg it in the time it'd take judge Ruth Bader Ginsberg to announce they've been caught by Ruth Bader Ginsberg

Incidentally I was born just north of the DFW metroplex, lived in and all around Dallas for the first 16 years of my life, there were times when I recall hearing about record homicide numbers, but can't remember anything about cops executing suspects or being gunned down in deliberate ambushes, though I do remember a few cases where shootouts ended with dead on both sides.
I never lived in the deepest parts of South Dallas, which was like 60% of the entire metroplex homicide rate as I recall, why I flat out broke down laughing when someone in a suburb of Louisville told me they were in a gang. There were parts of South Dallas that weren't "keep the doors locked" territory, they were flat out "don't drive less than 75 whether you're on I-35 or not, and try to avoid having to go through there at all" types of places for a while. Closest I got was a stray bullet through a window when we lived in East Dallas for a bit.
Ever heard a lowrider thumping La Cucharacha? It's a heck of a thing at 3 am. Felt like screaming at them for the loud assholery AND being so damned stereotypical.
That sounds downright mythical, holy shit you must have had an awesome upbringing

Pretty sure we've already nailed U.S. citizens with drone strikes. They just happened to not be on U.S. soil at the time.
But yeah, no prize for anyone who predicted as soon as they heard that suspects wouldn't live to see trial. You don't do premeditated cop-killings in the U.S. unless you're prepared to get justifiable-killing'd.  :-X
Yeah, drone strikes on US citizens being held hostage by the people the drone was killing. Have US citizens been deliberately targeted outside of US soil? Yep too, fighting for Al Qaeda

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2016, 07:45:51 pm »

We're not far from accidental drone killings of U.S. citizens on U.S. soil, either. A number of police departments have been pushing for riot control drones with shotguns and tear gas grenade launchers. Shadowrun when?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2016, 07:49:02 pm »

We're not far from accidental drone killings of U.S. citizens on U.S. soil, either. A number of police departments have been pushing for riot control drones with shotguns and tear gas grenade launchers. Shadowrun when?
All we need is a dragon now.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2016, 07:54:20 pm »

#OrcLivesMatter

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2016, 08:17:19 pm »

All we need is a dragon now.
i kind of want this reality
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2016, 08:22:46 pm »

Well, if you want a dragon as POTUS, shadowrun would be what you're looking for. Most of  'em are even fairly decent critters by the standards of the setting. Dunkelzahn 2057!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2016, 08:24:17 pm »

Uh
You can't have an election in 2057
It's kind of an odd year
That's not how Presidential elections work
Dunkelzhan 2056 or bust though.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:25:54 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1249