Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Better not get a ticket to go watch the Olympics  (Read 10785 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better not get a ticket to go watch the Olympics
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2016, 12:34:47 pm »

I want to say this is gonna be the biggest shitshow ever, but with all this chaos and awfulness, it might actually draw in more viewers. Like watching a train wreck live in real time. Atleast on tv, cause I doubt Rio's tourism board is good enough to draw people into a lawless dystopia where even the police are gonna mug you.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2016, 12:39:36 pm »

It's possible that they weren't even fake police. Just real police pissed at not getting paid.
If in the US a police officer tells you to get out of your car, it's a good idea to comply.
In Rio however, best thing you can do is make sure you drive a heavy vehicle and run over the 'police' pedal to the metal and don't stop racing until you reach your country's embassy.
Nah, corrupt cops take out their uniforms when they decide to play criminal. It was most likely regular criminals who robbed a cop, or looted a dead one.

Real or not, though, your suggestion is just stupid. If they're real cops, you'll be killing someone doing their job. And in both cases you'll have a ton of cops/robbers on you trying to gun you down for running over one of their own. When getting robbed, stay calm and don't try to resist unless you are a russian vice-consul.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2016, 12:48:25 pm »

sorry forgot the sarcasm tag :P
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2016, 01:49:19 pm »

As long as you make it to your embassy and clearly declare "base" quick enough, it's a pretty good plan, I'd say.
I'm not sure if it requires knowing how to say base in more than one language, though.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2016, 02:04:09 pm »

bumping the troll off the first thread list

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2016, 02:04:56 pm »

He's posting in threads now, ignore the troll, repeat, IGNORE!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2016, 02:05:45 pm »

I'd report this one to the authorities if I were the Toad. This is beyond sick.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2016, 02:09:10 pm »

Looks to be over now.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2016, 02:10:21 pm »

Thanks Toady

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2016, 02:11:23 pm »

A body's a body. Not understanding the horror of modern violence causes lot of deficits in thinking.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2016, 09:11:35 pm »

Please come to br.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This happened at the World Championships in China last year.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2016, 09:57:59 pm »

As long as you make it to your embassy and clearly declare "base" quick enough, it's a pretty good plan, I'd say.
I'm not sure if it requires knowing how to say base in more than one language, though.
That only applies if you make it home before the cops catch you, but after they have started chasing you, and you touch a column, flagpole, or previously designated tree while declaring "base" and that is just in the US.

In Brazil you'd have to do it in Portuguese. :D

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2016, 07:56:27 am »

The Chairman of the Irish Olympic Committee, and chairman of the European Olympic Committee, as well as member of the executive board, Patrick Hickey, has been arrested by the Brasil police for ticket fraud.
He's been charged with selling tickets for cutthroat prices at the black market.

He tried to escape when police came to arrest him. However, being a 71 year old man, he didn't get far. Reportedly he has been transferred to a hospital now because he didn't feel well after being arrested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-37107450
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:59:25 am by martinuzz »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2016, 07:55:07 am »

Oh, by the way, remember that whole deal with american olympic swimmers being mugged by criminals dressed as police? Apparently the whole story is a little on the shady side, and two of said swimmers are now detained by br's federal police. Apparently their individual versions don't match, and video footage also makes their version seem even weirder. They were released initially after giving their testimonies, but a ruling was given that they were not to leave br for the time being after inconsistencies were noted.

They literally stopped their plane from taking off and took them from it.

EDIT: the police now officialy believes the swimmer's version of the events are fake. Turns out they started a fight in a gas station or something, after getting drunk in a party at the French section of the olympic village, and the gas station's workers have now testified against them and further discredited the swimmer's story. Camera footage from said gas station shows the swimmers fighting with a guard and breaking a bathroom door.
There were no muggers dressed as police officers at all, apparently.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:31:43 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2016, 11:02:50 am »

So, as we see here, once you go to a foreign country and make a claim of being robbed, it's very important, once you've made it to the embassy and claimed base, to leave the country as soon as possible. If you're going to get caught for your misdeeds, at least make them work for the extradition. Also, consider dyeing your hair to confuse issues further, especially if you're an international celebrity.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10