Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Better not get a ticket to go watch the Olympics  (Read 10804 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Better not get a ticket to go watch the Olympics
« on: July 05, 2016, 05:47:32 am »

The police and firefighters of Rio the Janeiro are on strike, because they haven't been paid. They threaten that "visitors to the Olympics will not be safe", unless their demans are met.

So there's a real chance if you go visit the Olympics that you will either get mugged and killed by criminals roaming free for lack of police, with a crimespree currently growing in Rio the Janeiro, or you might get killed by Rio's rioting riot police who want their monies.

Apparently payments to the police department are so lacking, that several police stations are even out of toilet paper.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/-wie-naar-de-spelen-in-rio-de-janeiro-komt-is-niet-veilig~a4333340/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:49:35 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Better not get a ticket to go watch the Olympics
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 06:09:42 am »

Rio went from tourist trap to literal hell in the last year sooooo, have fun!
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 06:16:12 am »

If only they hadn't spent all their monies on stupid useless stadium...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 06:29:07 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yep looks fun alright.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 06:59:36 am »

O Brasil é o país de amanhã, e sempre será.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 07:20:39 am »

If only they hadn't spent all their monies on stupid useless stadium...

Countries need to stop competing to bribe the IOC with big stadiums.  mitt Romney had a good editorial on this.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 07:25:30 am »

Huh. I think there might be fuel for a John Carpenter movie from this.

In a town where emergency services have collapsed, ravenous gangs of highly armed criminals roam the streets and whole districts burn away into the night, can a lone surviving gold medalist shot putter from Iceland manage to ESCAPE FROM RIO?

Seriously though, Olympics be damned, I'm more concerned about the locals. Hope shit's not as grim as that image paints it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 07:34:41 am »

They'll just throw the national guard at it during the event, then pull them out once it's done.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 08:21:15 am »

So there's a real chance if you go visit the Olympics that you will either get mugged and killed by criminals roaming free for lack of police, with a crimespree currently growing in Rio the Janeiro, or you might get killed by Rio's rioting riot police who want their monies.

Like getting mugged and shot by criminals with no fear of police wasn't gonna happen even before the strike.
Shoes...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 08:37:01 am »

If anything I hope global awareness of Rio help generate some support for the country.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 09:03:50 am »

This olympics wasn't even meant to happen, just like the world cup wasn't meant to happen either. They only happened because of corrupt lobbying supported by a populist government on its death throes. This olympics was an announced disaster and it had very little support from the actual population in the first place. Now br is actualy going through several efforts to get to the end of it and remove the corrupt self perpetuating system that got stablished in the last decade from power, which isn't exactly easy since our supreme court is hilarious in the worst possible sense of the world (as a lawyer I find the decisions of certain supreme court ministers to be laughable) and loves to warp our constitution in ways that shouldn't be possible in order to benefit high tier criminals with political ties.

In other words, BR should be closed for maintenance, instead its being dragged through the ground by a corrupt politicians, lobbyists and a useless supporting artistical class that just absolutely refuses to give up on all the ridiculous advantages they've given themselves and eachother during this decade of populist-leftist rule. The current provisory government is doing what it can and a good deal of important shit is getting done, but the olympics is one disaster that is inevitable and we'll have to endure. All I can hope is that the least amount of people possible get harmed due to it, because its basically inevitable that a lot of people will be harmed by it.

Then again, it could be worse. We could be... Turkey? And Venezuela I guess. RIP Venezuelans.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:06:21 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 10:42:44 am »

If anything I hope global awareness of Rio help generate some support for the country.
Oh please, as if. When the Zika outbreak started, there were people in anglophone sites claiming it would help control the population growth... despite our growth being smaller than that of the US.

This country may as well be a land of myth in another plane of existence outside South America.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 10:51:57 am »

This country may as well be a land of myth in another plane of existence outside South America.

South America, isn't that the country that's right next to Africa? Full of Mexicans, wasn't it?

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 12:22:31 pm »

The World Cup ran pretty well i guess. did the situation change that dramatically in two years? even in 2004 while i traveled there you could almost physically feel the danger weighing on your shoulders. and i felt that even before getting mugged at gunpoint in the middle of the day in Copacabana street (Which is a main street there).

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 12:23:57 pm »

Oh please, as if. When the Zika outbreak started, there were people in anglophone sites claiming it would help control the population growth... despite our growth being smaller than that of the US.

In truth though, the US population would actually be shrinking if not for immigration, so that's not a fair comparison. The issue is still absurd to begin with, but "having lower growth then the US" is not the answer.

ITT: I'm glad I don't live in Rio.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10