Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: [Players needed] CurseKnowledge - The fort of incompetence  (Read 15237 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: [Dorf names requested] CurseKnowledge - The fort of incompetence
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2016, 02:38:01 am »

Macros would help. You can do exact same action for each of them on each row, leaving you having to only pick the individual carts separately.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2016, 03:11:53 am »

Sorry for slower updates! The work-week has taken away free time, and I'm guiding a wilderness trip Saturday. I might not be posting the final update until Sunday.

I guess we have an outdoor refuse stockpile too, near a refuse smasher probably, with bones and such enabled ?
Not that we can use bones just yet, but we may want bones/shells available in case of a mood.
I haven't handled bone stockpiling or refuse sorting, other than to have a secure surface stockpile in the building Gwolfski started. There's a ton of stuff I didn't work on at all, since it's more fun to leave it to other people have their own different ideas. I haven't dug out living space at all, just placed a ton of beds in the hallways.

Actually, lack of bones for potential moods is a real problem right now, with no butcher. I could kill the extra mechanic and get some bones stockpiled? Does anyone know if dismembered corpses decompose into usable bones in a refuse stockpile? I could toss some our spare yaks and whatnot into the cart grinder and retrieve whatever bits get knocked off? Would that work?

Still, it must have been a pain to designate all these routes
Macros would help. You can do exact same action for each of them on each row, leaving you having to only pick the individual carts separately.
Building the stops and picking the carts was easy. More tedious was going into the stockpile settings to make two identical stockpiles per category (and I was careful with details about materials and excluding artifact quality, etc, etc), and then making the route exactly match the stockpiles so it can't create hauling loops.

What are the 5 empty spots for :3
No clue. Whatever future overseers want? The area wasn't dug out with a particular number of spots in mind. In my own forts, there's at least twice as many categories, including stone sorted by color. This was the quickie version.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2016, 04:37:48 am »

...Don't you have to specify the right stone/color in the workshop anyway, or are you just using like a dozen linked masonry workshops?

Not sure on corpses. Maybe ask PatrickLundall?

I think they'd need to be ripped apart to get bones instead of just 1 whole skeleton, though. I'm not sure that grinder can manage it with just 2 ramps to boost cart. Still, if a moody dwarf wants bones, can kill the moody dwarf for a butcherer.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2016, 04:56:00 am »

Right, if a mood comes out, just kill a not so useful non-lazy to pass on butcher.
Sacrifice dwarves for more knowledge !
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2016, 09:07:48 am »

Or just let the moody dwarf go insane.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2016, 05:20:34 pm »

Year 202 is complete! Things quieted down while I waited for invaders, but I think the Fun was saving itself for other, sexier overseers. Let's see what happened:

2 Limestone, 202, Early Autumn: Shululujubin, Kobold Thief is back! And just as quickly, vanishes. The dwarves have started to devise a strange new portable trap, consisting of a clamshell shape, light enough to be carried by the military, but with the potential to catch small, cute and cuddly creatures like Kobolds. Painted red-and-white, these "Kobe-Balls" will be issued to the military for future patrols.

5 Limestone, 202: Log Hauling is done again! Spriggans is dejected. What purpose can we find in life, now that the hauling of logs is done? Drinking and napping are proposed, and he throws himself into experimenting with these new endeavors.

9 Limestone, 202: A Caravan has arrived!

Apparently the liason had some severe personal issues and was seduced by a were-grackle en-route. A new liason should be appointed next year.

Actually, it was quite small for a dwarven caravan, and they approached the depot slowly and timidly. Apparently last year there was a construction accident that killed most of the previous caravan? Why didn't anyone notice that happening at the time? We bought everything they had that was of use and send them home with a huge profit that might encourage more traders to risk the hazardous workplace of CurseKnowledge next year.

28 Sandstone, 202, Mid-Autumn: Migrants have arrived. There were 7 in this wave, so the still meager housing of CurseKnowledge was able to accommodate them.

12 Timber, 202, Late Autumn: Girlinhat, the Plant Gatherer and promptly disappears under mysterious circumstances. (Note: Girlinhat dorfed. Plant Gathering lost. Clothier assigned. 0 picks left.)

16 Timber, 202, Late Autumn: Gwolfski, lead Mechanic, announces that it's time to finally test the the cart grinder activation mechanism! Lock down the bridges!

The dwarves gather outside the locked area, listening intently. CRASH! Creak, crunch crunch crunch. Now all we need is a siege. And some popcorn. Truly, having a death machine is far less joyful without a healthy population of goblins, trolls, and other squishable whatnots.

5 Moonstone, Early Winter, MoonyTheHuman, our once-busy Wood Cutter, hasn't been seen for a while. Did anyone notice a fine red mist near that useless, but fascinating bridge? (Note: MoonyTheHuman dorfed. Wood Cutting lost. Plant Processor assigned. 0 picks left.)

Has anyone noticed that our clothes are starting to rot off our bodies? That can't be good. Thankfully, due to a series of workplace accidents and the construction of a small new farm plot, we can can now farm hemp plants year round and actually have workers to transform them all the way to clothing! Work begins on all the steps in preventing a mass outbreak of nudity. Knowledge of how nude dwarves look is not something that ANYONE around here desires, even less than the other types of Knowledge we've been avoiding.

8 Obsidian 202, Late Winter:

Rovod, a previously unassuming member of CurseKnowledge, quietly claims a craftsdwarf workshop for himself. He then puts up a makeshift blanket fort, a hastily scrawled "Mine. Sekret. Keep Out." note, and emerges only to grab logs. Most dwarves don't see this as particularly unusual behavior.

14 Obsidian, 202:

Glory! A truly priceless and useful creation from the wonderful field of woodcrafting. Will someone please toss that thing into the temple, ideally where no one will trip over it? (Note: successful secretive mood. Wood Crafting gained.)

And in seemingly no time at all, year 202 comes to an end, with most of the effort being McGee desperately trying to keep up with the work of both brewing and planting. (Hint, he's failing miserably at doing both jobs.)

Perhaps most interesting, here's a picture of their shiny, new, and sadly unused trap defenses:

Cart grinders are great because if you leave it open, running, and with an unforbidden sock inside, the entire fortress can die in a matter of moments. There are two important levers, one that turns it on by dropping the carts from hatches, and another to turn it off by lowering bridges allowing carts to derail and exit the grinder loops. Both should only be switched long enough to move the carts, then immediately switched back to their default position, as pictured. Hope for a large siege!

Here's the dorfing and skill situation as of the end of year 202. There are 17 picks total, 14 starting, 2 overseer picks, and one from a mood on a previously unskilled dwarf.

'Cattan' Ustuthzursul: Miner, Engraver (Legendary Miner)
'Spriggans' Iklistzon: Carpenter, Weaver (Legendary, Mooded Carpenter)
'Bembul' Zanegsakrith: Cook, Architect
'McGee' Kubuklin: Brewer, Grower (Massively overworked; he can't do both. Brewing is way behind.)
'Imic2' Ezumlinem: Mason
'Gwolfski2' Zulbannisgak: Mechanic
'Sanctume' Tobulustir: Metalcrafting
'TheFlame52_2' Vabokoltar: Furnace Operator
'CodyRex': Axedwarf, Militia Commander (no labors assigned)

Still need more dorf requests! I've been dorfing them immediately before death if there wasn't a request. (Dead dorfs are founders Imic, TheFlame52, and Gwolfski. Other dead are Girlinhat and MoonyTheHuman.)

NEEDS NAME: Sibrek Akrulmorul: Glassmaker (Legendary)
NEEDS NAME: Amost Naniroslan: Clothier
NEEDS NAME: Rovod Timnarobok: Woodcraft (Legendary, mooded. Oooh, a totally useless skill. Anyone want an extra-brief dorfing?)
NEEDS NAME: Tirist Dodokilun: Plant Processor
NEEDS NAME: Kumil Larducim: Mechanic (Uh-oh. Now that traps are done, this might be another death sentence.)

Most will notice armor/weaponsmith as the biggest lack, but the next player will have some easy murders to choose from, I suspect.  ;)

Fortress wealth went from 68 thousand at the end of year 201 to 1.4 million at the end of year 202, mostly from moving the magma forges up and abusing glassmaking. It wasn't in time for the elves, but human and dwarf caravans left with giant profits that should bring more back next year.

The fort is in TERRIBLE shape for strange mood supplies. Have fun with that. I also didn't do anything for digging out housing, or much in the way of making dwarves happy. Heck, without therapist, for all I know they're all seconds away from a riot.

Here's the save game file. (Raws reverted back to no tileset.) Thanks for letting me take a turn! Can't wait to see it all fall apart!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:59:25 pm by gchristopher »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2016, 10:12:37 pm »

Wait, we used to have a clothier in starting seven. Let me check....

Oh. It was Gwolfski. You killed him. Of the dwarves present...

I still do not understand the NEEDS NAME idea nor the idea behind the typical dorfing (that has no RPing to follow up on it). Sibrek is a fine name, though when it comes to Rovod Woodcrafting can output the lightest mugs and pots (unless you make adamantine pots).

Oh, and nest boxes I suppose.

Looking at the trap corridor, the mechanisms hardly look done. Additionally, iirc replacing the cages in cage traps requires the mechanic labour, so he may have to retire to output books in library with only grindable library skill. Perhaps take a stint in military first to get at least 3 in Teacher. Up to the next player, really.

You don't need grower with plant gathering...Oh right, you killed Girlinhat. Still, ten months of plant gathering should have netted hundreds of plants to brew. (I hope there is at least a murky pool of water to drink from just in case, though.)

Without therapist, you'll have to check happiness by reading the description of all the dwarves, then noting your observations.
Sounds like you're going to have a bad time? Well then better go blind :P

PS: Dwarves with at least 4-5 Dodger (depending on physical stats) will never be harmed by two-tile cart grinders (if they fall asleep, the cart will just wait patiently for them to wake up to resume moving), so an errant sock doesn't necessarily doom the fortress.

Yours get one additional ramp of acceleration, though, so I'd err on the side of Legendary+5 smoothies, though.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:16:32 pm by Fleeting Frames »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2016, 01:21:35 am »

I still do not understand the NEEDS NAME idea nor the idea behind the typical dorfing (that has no RPing to follow up on it). Sibrek is a fine name, though when it comes to Rovod
It's in the rules for this fort that you have to name dwarves that get skills, but I wanted to put it off as much as possible to leave the slots open for traditional dorfing?

Woodcrafting can output the lightest mugs and pots (unless you make adamantine pots).

Oh, and nest boxes I suppose.
True, but would you seriously spend tedious-to-gather logs on that when it's available from sand?

Looking at the trap corridor, the mechanisms hardly look done.
Of four hallways, I filled the first with cages, and the fourth with spiked ball traps with 5 each. I figured it was better to leave some space for future overseers to put whatever they prefer. I tried to do a stripped-down version without the bells and whistles I'd put into a regular fort. (No secure alternate access, no setup for a webbed-trap section.)

Additionally, iirc replacing the cages in cage traps requires the mechanic labour, so he may have to retire to output books in library with only grindable library skill. Perhaps take a stint in military first to get at least 3 in Teacher. Up to the next player, really.
Yep. One mechanic will probably get killed, so the remaining one will be busy if anything gets captured.

You don't need grower with plant gathering...Oh right, you killed Girlinhat. Still, ten months of plant gathering should have netted hundreds of plants to brew. (I hope there is at least a murky pool of water to drink from just in case, though.)
Grower is specifically for hemp for clothing industry. Caravans brought tons of brewable plants, but without a liason to request lots of cloth, some will need to be produced locally. There's absolutely no surface water. It'll have to be brought up from caverns for hospital or mist generators or other water projects.

However, you still have to give kudos to Spriggans for the embark. Flux layers, tons of iron, good surface plants, sand, fire clay and a tower. That can take a lot of world gens and careful searching.

PS: Dwarves with at least 4-5 Dodger (depending on physical stats) will never be harmed by two-tile cart grinders (if they fall asleep, the cart will just wait patiently for them to wake up to resume moving), so an errant sock doesn't necessarily doom the fortress.

Yours get one additional ramp of acceleration, though, so I'd err on the side of Legendary+5 smoothies, though.
Ooh, interesting! I've never thrown military superdorfs in a grinder. I'm going to go try that!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2016, 01:46:09 am »

Ooh, interesting! I've never thrown military superdorfs in a grinder. I'm going to go try that!
O.o ...Fucking Dwarf Fortress >_>

FYI, just because they will not be harmed does not mean they will not "cancels store item in stockpile:dangerous terrain".
It's in the rules for this fort that you have to name dwarves that get skills, but I wanted to put it off as much as possible to leave the slots open for traditional dorfing?
I'd suggest historical or mythological figures. For the glassmaker, looking at wikipedia's article (sadly mostly bereft of names) glass was initially made in ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia and north Syria around 2900 years ago. Maybe pick one from the last one, given the first two are oft-explored and the latter is topical for current era - around the time, Assyrian king Ashurnasirpal II was famed for great art, architecture, reconquering and deporting.

Hm...I have a tendency to spam aquifers and do make thin embarks, haven't done a hundred-z minecart spiral yet. Though as far as mist generator or hospital goes, they can use same single tile of water brought up by bucket brigade for a while, tbh.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2016, 02:27:25 am »

I still do not understand the NEEDS NAME idea nor the idea behind the typical dorfing (that has no RPing to follow up on it). Sibrek is a fine name, though when it comes to Rovod
As it seems to become a problem, I've altered the rules slightly.
You must name skilled dwarves => You should name skilled dwarves.

I didn't anticipate naming to be that hard. I though people could name dwarves whatever they want, even if no RP dorfs were in the list.
Like, you could name the wood-crafter 'KillMeSoonImUseless'. That was the idea. :)

Thanks a lot for the update, it is now Gwolfsky's turn for year 3.

@Gwolfsky : Please confirm if you can finish a one year turn by July 1st ;)

EDIT :
However, you still have to give kudos to Spriggans for the embark. Flux layers, tons of iron, good surface plants, sand, fire clay and a tower. That can take a lot of world gens and careful searching.
a
Do you trust me if I say I genned one world, chose the first embark spot that had tower (for fun), all civs-access, metals and flux. There was no aquifer, but ho well... I didn't probe the metals or anything :p
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:33:33 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2016, 03:43:22 am »

That would be impressive, though knowing Gwolfski we'd never learn how he will have had managed it.

As for the embark, atm I think getting all surface plants might be one of the more annoying one of those requirements. Just because you get a cool biome mix by names doesn't mean the cool plants are actually in region-pops :v. Fire clay similarly requires repeated gens :p All others are easier to manage (well, I tend to spam aquifers somehow tho...)

Of course, getting such an embark with no PSV or even simple advanced world gen is pretty rare.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2016, 06:43:14 am »

That would be impressive, though knowing Gwolfski we'd never learn how he will have had managed it.

Will do. I did a 23a fort with 2 dwarfs in 2 days!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2016, 06:47:01 am »

But can you manage it in -17 days?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2016, 10:38:38 am »

But can you manage it in -17 days?
Get me a TARDIS,  and I will.

After i finsh necrothread 3
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2016, 05:00:08 pm »

I didn't anticipate naming to be that hard. I though people could name dwarves whatever they want, even if no RP dorfs were in the list.
Like, you could name the wood-crafter 'KillMeSoonImUseless'. That was the idea. :)
Ooh, okay! Yes, all skilled dwarves at least have a name like 'Woodcrafter NEEDNAME' if there wasn't a dorf request for them.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10