Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress plumbing  (Read 5307 times)

Rainbows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress plumbing
« on: July 03, 2016, 11:20:05 am »

In my fortress there isn't any dirt so I'm having to flood sections of rock to make farms. At the moment I have a cistern fed by pump from a brook. So far I set up a farm then got halfway to setting up a lever that floods the entrance U bend to my fort.

Are there any other fun dwarf water projects to use water with? Useful or just fun. I thought I would ask now while my fortress is young so that it is still easy to chage things or plan stuff.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress plumbing
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 12:02:33 pm »

Swimming training, water falls - mist generator, showers (combines with mist), power generation, fluid logic, obsidian factory, drowning traps, water gun (shooting blobs of water at enemies with the help of minecarts).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 12:27:40 pm »

And obsidianization of (parts of) the magma sea for candy mining purposes, or for magma sea draining purposes. You can also combine it with magma for invader obsidian encasement, but the last time I tried that the FPS dropped to 0...

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 01:07:54 pm »

A well is always useful.

Also, water moats are decent at slowing enemies down, until you can upgrade to lava.

If you're in a cold biome, I believe you can pump water between rock/wooden walls, wait for it to freeze, then deconstruct the walls to have a nice ice sculpture.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 01:35:01 pm »

I like to have a fortress-wide network of decorate waterfalls that can be turned into fast-acting drowning traps at the flick of a lever.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 02:22:38 pm »

Useful? Well, one rare possibility is using water flow to transport goods. For any single good, there are easier ways, but if you're trying to move hundreds of items few tiles away it makes for a quicker option.

This will also transport creatures, possibly through fortifications (beware though as completely submerged ones are swimmable) for a holding room to be processed later.

If you embarked on a mountain( or glacier )then you can irrigate subterranean tile, have cavern plants grow on it (have to breach caverns), and then clear off the plant (with, for instance, dirt road) and see what soil type correspondents to your current mountain - there's a good chance it is clay or sand.

Very simple trapavoid/buildingdestroyer detection is a door with 2-7 water and pressure plate set to 0-1 water above it with the plate build on constructed floor and the floor then deconstructed. Anything that opens or destroys the door is going to make the water fall down.

If you're in a more dirty area - such as evil embark - you can use an infinite water source to clean your dwarves. Here is one possible schematic:
z0: >  >^ Down stairs, pressure plate that triggers the bridge to remove dirty water as well as the placement of 2-3 tiles of fresh water onto path per path (left as exercise to the reader)
z1: X>X Up/down stairs and down stairs where water will be when bridge is raised
z2: BBB Raising bridge

The system is technically useful with no mechanisms, too - however, all the dirty will collect into water, so if anything unclothed goes through it while it has nastiness inside they will have a bad time.

Less useful per water used, you can bring the brook to your fort so your fisherdwarves don't have to walk to it to fish - just make sure any nasties can't use the path to enter it too (basically make it half of an underground moat).

For pure fun, though: You can freeze water in temperate or colder biomes, then dig it out for ice boulders to build constructions with. An entire ice castle with double-thick walls that have magma in-between is entirely possible. If you instead go for ice sculpture without digging, make sure to smooth the walls.

1-tile 1-deep water moats with underground tunnels for water approach are pretty useless as barriers, but aesthetically it can be very pleasing to draw things that represent your fortress or civilization into the ground with the blue on green - or gray, as the case may be.

Using the bit with underground crops mentioned earlier and then removing ceilings will let apple trees grow in some very unlikely places for a longer term project - additionally, if you wait for underground trees first, you can get stuff like tower-cap and birch trees growing next to each other.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 03:54:47 pm »

You can create a simple manual cleanable bathtub across your fortress entrances without worrying about routing plumbing or powershafts by using pond zones to fill and a single manual screw pump for cleaning. My usual design is just a simple loop where all traffic has to dip into a single-tile-wide line of channeled ramps below the main tunnel level full of 3/7 water. One end has a grate into a return channel on level Z-1, from which a manual pump accessible by a stairway can pump it back up. Manually starting the pump will wash all contaminants into the grate from the ramps, and avoids the FPS cost of constantly-flowing water. At rest, the return channel (Z-1) is filled to 7/7, Z0 is 3/7. I like to use silver just for its (real) antibacterial and (legendary) anti-evil properties.

I usually build a couple of mist generators using the 4x4 pump square design in my main dining hall/tavern area too, though the major drawback to that is the need for uninterrupted power once started.

Oh, and as always, beware of trees growing in your plumbing.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 03:58:11 pm »

I once ran a fort in Deon's old Fallout mod where I tried to give everyone's apartment and most public facilities a well, and a separate water system for the "public restrooms." For extra fun I did irrigation runs for farms every winter. It made the game a lot more difficult, but I learned quite a bit about how fluids work. It's probably not as useful as what others have suggested but it might be fun.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 06:01:21 pm »

My usual fortress entrance is a large rock square with one straight path and one long and windy path. Bets on which one is trapped trick question, they both are. I managed to integrate a drowning trap as well. The water fills the labrythine from the entrance, drowning living enemies and pushing undead ones quickly into the traps. Then it sluices out the water afterwards.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 12:21:08 am »

Here is a link about water flow properties at Dwarf Fortress wikia.

Here is an older link to MEGAPROJECTS, of which I recommend things like the underwater fortress.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Rainbows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 11:00:58 am »

I'm in half mountain half temperate savannah. No evil. The brook freezes over in the mountain then it takes a small while for the savannah part to run dry.

For a mist generator come drowning trap I'm thinking of a vertical shaft. On z=0 the shaft runs next to a hallway and creates mist for passing dwarves. At the switch of a lever a floodgate in the shaft at Z=-1 closes allowing the hallway to sudenly flood. Open the floodgate again then it all drains out. We will see how that works out.

Also going to have to make a proper hosipital then add wells.

Also I didn't know that trick with getting clay/sand underground?? That sounds incredibly useful! Magma pottery here I come.

As said not in an evil biome so probably won't bother using baths. I wish I could divert the brook into an underground river through the fort but then there are issues with it freezing at the surface and losing the water source.

Also I would have thought a moat would be useful. I thought enemies can climb now? (first new game since update)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 11:39:08 am »

Indeed. They can also jump and swim. However, not every enemy is a good swimmer. Furthermore, some of them, like werebeasts, may not know this and drown when staying underwater for prolonged time.

Because of this, I personally prefer deeper dry moats. However, as long as you make them wider, wet moats can act as barrier to non-swimmers while being only 1 deep.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 08:21:21 pm »

I love building waterworks. Here's a photo of my recent build. It is fed by a tall reservoir, which is securely connected to the underside of a medium-sized river. It can pump water to any place in my fort.

Spoiler: Love these things (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 07:08:18 am »

Control room of fortress plumbing in my 40.19 fort. (There is a similar room in red for magma.) All the black levers are the control levers per z-level. Blue is the central level, yellow is emergency drain.

There is a real benefit to this, even if I return after half a year of absence I remember what each lever does.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 11:59:21 am »

I always build the lever directly under/above the valve in question. Same reason.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: [1] 2