Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What kind of RPG should I run?

A standard Adventuring Party setup in a High-Fantasy Surreal Stone-Age World with no Metals
- 1 (4%)
The Party is made up of Monster Hunters in a High-Fantasy Urban-World with Modern Technology, but No Modern Weapons
- 2 (8%)
An Evil Monster Campaign in a standard High-Fantasy Medieval World
- 9 (36%)
A standard Adventuring Party setup in a World made up of Floating Islands, probably with Steam-Punk, or Dungeon-Punk elements
- 3 (12%)
A Combination of Option #3 and Option #4
- 10 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I'm thinking of running an Unconventional Fantasy RPG, (Interest Check/Poll)  (Read 3919 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright everyone, I've been thinking of running a Fantasy RPG for some time now. I'm somewhat burnt-out on standard d&desque games, and I've had a few somewhat outlandish concepts going on in my head for the past few days. I figured, if I was going to GM an unconventional RPG, there's no better place to do it than the Bay12 Forums. I'm going to set up a Poll of the few Campaign Ideas I've had, and whichever one gets the most votes will be the Game I run, in a separate Thread, of course.

If I do actually start a Game, it will have very loose mechanics. It would probably just be 99% 1d20 rolls for combat, with modifiers based on circumstance. A fairly simplistic skill system, and a few generic Character Traits in lieu of Stats or Attributes. With copious amounts of Fluff to make things interesting. Anyways, post your thoughts here and vote in the Poll. Thanks for reading this everybody.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile

Sounds interesting! Will probably put more feedback in this post when the poll is up.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds interesting! Will probably put more feedback in this post when the poll is up.

Yay, someone posted! I've setup the Poll, if anyone wants to vote, go ahead.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Option 6: A game set in that god game universe that you're also running.
I'd vote for that if it was an option.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Option 6: A game set in that god game universe that you're also running.
I'd vote for that if it was an option.

I don't think that the World is nearly detailed enough for that yet, but maybe after a few dozen or so more Turns I'll run something in it.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First option is cool, but it makes me squirm. I like my metal swords, y'know?

Second option is a little unclear. So we'd use blades + magic + bows? I assume now firearms? Sounds... awesome.

Third option is a eh... could be good but also really bad, depending on plot an limitations.

Fourth one depends on what Apocalyptic events you have in mind... sample plz? Don't want everything, there needs to be surprise.

Fifth is probably pretty good, except that I've been disappointed with "Steam punk" before. Depends.

Keep in mind, Enchanted Weapons and Biological Materials as hard as Metal would exist. Also, the Setting gives me leeway to enter in all sorts of Unique Monsters, Creatures, and Sapient Races that I wouldn't be able to without causing rampant eye-rolling otherwise.

Essentially, Medieval Era Weaponry and Sorcery are the normal Weapon, and the Party wouldn't necessarily have to be Monster-Hunters, but that would make it easy to setup some Encounters early on and gives the PCs a motivation.

I agree, but with this Forum, I imagine that it would become very interesting very quickly. I plan on using a free-form sandbox type Setting, but with occasional Monster Hunters and Lynch Mobs.

World in Decline, Wrathful Gods, Eldritch Dimensions fusing with Ours, Magic gone wrong in a big way. There are many others, those are just the highlights.

As have I, I was planning on implementing Magi-Tech, with some Steam-Punk type Gadgetry, and probably a lot of Mega-Storms and Sky Pirates, because those are Fun.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

Interested, when this starts add me in.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile

I'd love to join when this game starts up!
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm glad to see that so many People are interested. I'll wait a few more days for Votes before starting a Thread.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

How about combination #3 and #5? Evil Steam Monster rampage through floating isles.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Darth Jefe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about combination #3 and #5? Evil Steam Monster rampage through floating isles.
Combines my two favorites, i'd pick this if it were an option.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If enough people vote for it by the Deadline, It'll happen. But I'd have to think transportation between Islands would be somewhat risky.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile

+1
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

Wait, what does #3 actually mean? Is the party a group of evil monsters in a high fantasy setting? Or is there a monster out there possibly more monsterous and morally corrupt than a party of Dwarf Fortress players? Is that even possible?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Posting to show interest. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: [1] 2 3