Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Not-So Official SCP Thread (located at Site █)  (Read 2590 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Not-So Official SCP Thread (located at Site █)
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 11:03:27 pm »

I only look at every single post under deletion every few days when I remember the site exists. Can't see how that would inform me of their censorship policies  ::)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 08:31:12 am »

The site leadership have joined the ranks of thin-skinned internet slacktivists, and have increasingly applied that to SCP's standards. On a lovecraftian horror site.

I don't see that at all?

Removing stories, redacting themes and words that trigger tumblr
Spoiler: game ogre (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 09:54:41 am »

Alas, it is true. SCP's golden era is over, and with their penchant for trying to erase things unironically will probably not even live on in memory.

"Erase things unironically"?
[/quote]
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 11:56:20 am »

SCP is a great site for big monsters that don't do anything, stuff that makes you go crazy for no reason, shapes that do something spooky supposedly, and shitty copypastes of the thing from doctor who that was already shitty.
Shoes...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 12:06:35 pm »

It used to be decent until some of the original people or something decided it was cool to let peopel do mini fanfic things with SCPs (IE Able and related shit). Now that its been taken over by dweebs its as good as dead.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 01:07:23 pm »

Alas, it is true. SCP's golden era is over, and with their penchant for trying to erase things unironically will probably not even live on in memory.

"Erase things unironically"?
All the SCP articles have [REDACTED] and shit, but now the people there actually, genuinely try to redact the existence of older stories they've deleted.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 01:27:29 pm »

Ispill said it. The whole community had a very odd idea of what was SCP-entry worthy and what was not. They were specifically against magical snowflake badass type things, yet these were constantly accepted if the right person wrote it (again, Able, the most anime SCP of all), and a very odd idea of "scary". One of them was literally a casket that gave you creepy images if looked at for too long or from too close.

Literally creepypasta thread tier material, and not the decent kind.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 01:30:31 pm »

he can pull swords out of thin air

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 03:35:05 pm »

SCP stories are generally about as scary as Doom: Repercussions of Evil, but that game with the murderous statue-thing was a real fucking nightmare. o~o

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2016, 03:39:47 pm »

Ispill said it. The whole community had a very odd idea of what was SCP-entry worthy and what was not. They were specifically against magical snowflake badass type things, yet these were constantly accepted if the right person wrote it (again, Able, the most anime SCP of all), and a very odd idea of "scary". One of them was literally a casket that gave you creepy images if looked at for too long or from too close.

Literally creepypasta thread tier material, and not the decent kind.

You have the order completely wrong. Able was written before people were against snowflakes and is at this point only kept around for historical purposes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 03:47:14 pm »

So as somebody who isn't very familiar with scp stuffs, what's up with the "series" and why is that a thing?
Love, scriver~

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 03:55:29 pm »

Arbitrary time divisions. People write the SCPs and assign them a SCP number from the pool of a thousand until all are used up before the higher numbers are made available, and the block is a series. Presumably so they aren't scattered all around with a ton of placeholder [ACCESS DENIED] ones to filter out when browsing.

Since it takes a while to fill out, people associate the series with specific time periods in the community and by extension, trends, styles and whatnot that grew out of it at the time. So Series I is the oldest, III the youngest ATM.

It's not a completely rigid rule, since some old ones get deleted and replaced or rewritten, and 001 was specifically reserved for a long time.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 04:20:18 pm »

Real shame that, haven't trawled trough the site in ages, I remember discovering it some years ago and how aside from having some really cool and unsettling things it also had a ton of rather imaginative stuff that was rather inspiring to say the least.

I also remember when I introduced a friend to it for the first time, he's a big fan of wierd and eldritch and was super into some of the stories, pretty fun period that was, theorising on some of the things.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 08:23:17 pm »

Someone around here published the first 1000 SCP files in ebook format. I actually still have those.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 [2]