Poll

We need to stop getting salty.

Yes.
- 9 (90%)
Yes.
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: The 'Please Don't Make Me Lock This' Ameripol Thread 2.0  (Read 9014 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The 'Please Don't Make Me Lock This' Ameripol Thread 2.0
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2016, 07:07:12 pm »

Today in the Spokesman-Review: Dick Meyer: Media, politics exaggerate terrorism threat.
... yeah, to show up a bit late to the conversation, terrorism is generally overstated to farcical degrees outside of a few countries. There are some places where it's a very serious, very deadly problem, but... the US isn't one of them. More likely to die by lightning, iirc, or a whole host of other things. Our non-terrorism related gun deaths were roughly on par with the entire world's terrorism-related deaths a year or two ago, for an example of something that approaches an actual problem.* No clue if it's still around that level, but... yeah. Yeah. And non-death related damages can't really compare -- I wouldn't be surprised if kitchen fires have managed a higher average (or at least median -- the 9/11 stuff and maybe some of the bombings would probably through the average off) of material damage to our country over the last few decades.** Probably not total cost (because the amount spent on this stuff is several orders of magnitude over the direct damages), but just in terms of property damage, it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe even including the major outlier figures, I'unno. Some cursory search for the pure material costs of terrorism in the states turned up mostly that it's a complete pain in the arse to find data on the pure material costs of terrorist attacks in the states. Kitchen fires have fluctuated around half a billion a year, though. Fire damage in total between ~7-~8.

Really though, media and politics don't just exaggerate the threat of terrorism, they build towering edifices out of aether, consecrated in the blood of civilians killed by collateral damage, and made out of lies, exaggeration, and sometimes a small, barely existent dollop of truth. The psychology of it and whatnot make for damn good ratings and/or votes, and the more people are concerned about it the more true that becomes -- and so there's some folks out there that make damn sure people are concerned about it, regardless of whether terrorism's actually much of a legitimate concern for the country. It's scary, it's shocking, it's like a personal affront to a lot of people. But it's not a threat, not existentially, not materially to any meaningful/relative degree. Frankly, every country in the world experiencing significant terrorism campaigns could spontaneously stop their conflicts, join together both their military and paramilitary forces, and then attempt to straight up invade the US and still wouldn't be much of a threat worth note. Most of the threat from terrorism comes not from terrorist attacks, but how our country reacts to them. As evidenced by the amount we spend on the subject, most of it just kinda' uselessly as near as anyone seems to be able to tell :-\

*Note: To try to avoid much of a derail in that direction, it's probably good to note that guns are still less of a killer than alcohol (or any number of other things, obesity among them) by a fairly significant margin, never mind all the other drugs our government spends millions on making sure they do more damage to society that they could be doing. Stateside gun deaths are just an easy figure to use, because they happen to roughly line up with global terrorism related ones.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2016, 07:24:42 pm »

>claims to be fighting terrorism
>has a site that requires flash

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/index.html

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2016, 07:34:36 pm »

>greentexting on a mongolian ascii dwarf forum

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2016, 07:36:43 pm »

Damn it LW, all this needed to be perfect was to actually be greentext.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2016, 07:48:39 pm »

Damn it LW, all this needed to be perfect was to actually be greentext.
Truthfully, but seriously though... the CIA requires flash still?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2016, 12:12:12 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/06/us/politics/hillary-clinton-fbi-email-comey.html

TL;DR: Even though she and her staff did dozens of things that would be counted as felonies or misdemeanors, things we have already shown willingness to throw people in jail for, but, we don't think anyone would prosecute her.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2016, 12:18:56 pm »

FBI recommends that Clinton not be charged over emails

The Republicans are making a lot of noise about this, as expected, but it seems that Clinton has managed to survive yet another controversy.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2016, 12:20:27 pm »

its a matter of literal national consequence.

So yea, the predicted presidet to be will get a pardon.  The Clintons might be the first couple to both become president and get amnesty
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2016, 12:29:51 pm »

Clinton also seems to be hurting the party in general:

A Wall Street Journal/NBC News survey last month asked whether people would be more inclined to vote for a Democratic candidate who endorsed Mrs. Clinton’s presidential bid. Some 32% said they would be less likely to vote for that candidate, while only 15% said they would be more inclined. More than half said the endorsement wouldn’t matter either way.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary-clintons-negatives-complicate-ties-down-the-ballot-1467665079

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2016, 12:32:39 pm »

32% doesn't strike me as particularly high.  A lot of people are going to give the most negative response possible to anything democratic.

but it seems that Clinton has managed to survive the same "controversy" yet again

FTFY

And I'm sure we are all looking forward to the next Benghazi scandal which is scheduled to start in one month.  But it's totally Clinton's fault.  Not like the republicans have anything but the purest interest in the truth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/06/us/politics/hillary-clinton-fbi-email-comey.html

TL;DR: Even though she and her staff did dozens of things that would be counted as felonies or misdemeanors, things we have already shown willingness to throw people in jail for, but, we don't think anyone would prosecute her.

TL;DR: They said there was nothing criminal but you will openly and flagrantly lie about what they said.  And it is trivially easy to debunk your lies.

To warrant a criminal charge, Mr. Comey said, there had to be evidence that Mrs. Clinton intentionally sent or received classified information — something that the F.B.I. did not find. “Our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case,” he said at a news conference.

Like this is past the point where you are using vague inneundos.  This is simple easily checked facts about what someone said at a specific time.  You are lying about Comey's statements.

And I think it really says a lot about what a bullshit witch hunt this was that people are lying about something this simple.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:39:02 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2016, 12:40:36 pm »

you could also read that as "we couldn't find a prosecutor with reasonable jurisdiction that would prosecute the case" As in, "The we know the AG won't prosecute it and because we'll likely have to work with this lady in a few months... let's not do anything hasty."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2016, 12:42:12 pm »

you could also read that as "we couldn't find a prosecutor with reasonable jurisdiction that would prosecute the case" As in, "The we know the AG won't prosecute it and because we'll likely have to work with this lady in a few months... let's not do anything hasty."

Yes, you could lie about what public figures say.  It is your choice in life.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2016, 01:19:19 pm »

Yeah, that some serious spinning sluissa. Basically, she messed up, but it's not criminal. Quite careless though, but nothing greatly new.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2016, 01:24:58 pm »

Did she though? It sounds to me like their IT department was negligent in their duties, resulting in Shadow IT, like it always does when an IT department prevents people from being able to do their jobs. A majority of US workers turn to the same sort of shadow IT solutions when their official IT department prevents them from doing their job.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2016, 01:26:56 pm »

Yeah, that some serious spinning sluissa. Basically, she messed up, but it's not criminal. Quite careless though, but nothing greatly new.

Shit, you could sell that to Iran and enrich uranium with it.

Clinton's a hagfish, but slime is what you get on the national stage. It'd be nice if the right could care about actual issues, but I'm maintaining my ruinous Trump campaign leading to libertarian realignment hopes.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12