Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What the hell did Google Fit just do? (Looking for alternatives)  (Read 651 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

I know it's far from a perfect program, but I've been using the Google Fit app on my tablet to keep general track of my exercise - how long, how many steps/km, and (very) roughly how many calories I burn. Yesterday the program updated itself and I have no idea what I'm looking at anymore.

Apparently you can no longer track activities while you do them. It will still automatically track walking, but you can't start an activity and time/monitor it - you can only add it after the fact (providing much less information). Basically, the overwhelming majority of the functionality has been stripped away, leaving just a simple "this is how many minutes you've exercised" and a vague summary of exercises you've done "recently". It does seem that you can still dig up the info on calories burned and steps taken, but it's hidden away in several menus and presented in a very confusing way, basically totally useless now.

Anyone else facing this unexpected frustration? Google Fit has never been a super accurate program by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a good motivational tool for me to be able to time my exercise as I do it. Due to various health issues I'm severely limited in how much exercise I can actually get and the types I can do, and it was really helpful to be able to push a button and have it timing me, telling me roughly how many calories I'd burned, etc. Now that's gone.

So I guess I'm hoping someone either knows a way to get ahold of the previous, un-destroyed version of the program, or knows of an alternative fitness tracking program that provides the same functionality. I want something to track when I walk (which is a lot), both distance and time (preferably showing my route on a map as well), as well as being able to time and track other exercises as needed. And if anyone has any idea what on earth the Google Fit dev team was smoking when they decided to gut and ruin their program completely, I'd be interested in that information as well.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell did Google Fit just do? (Looking for alternatives)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:02:20 pm »

That sucks...

I've no idea, I'm just here to offer moral support.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.