Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31

Author Topic: Superhero Mafia: Game Over; Town, Survivors and Lovers Win.  (Read 58675 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Mafia: Day 1, Make it Double.
« Reply #285 on: July 25, 2016, 08:54:11 pm »

"No lunch". Your typo has been immortalized, hector.
~~~
In any case:
Yes, a lynch on Day 1 is better than no lynch.

Quote from: Bookthras
I'm not an IC, but I once wrote a rant about nolynches on Day One that I think would be beneficial for this audience, so I quote it below. In brief, you can (i.e., it's a valid vote, and if it has majority no lynch will happen) but you shouldn't unless you have a very very good reason. Actual ICs will, of course, chime in with their own thoughts, and there are different considerations to be had in subsequent days; the below applies only for D1.

Even in a game like this, or a role-heavy game like a BYOR, paranormal, or bastard, without a D1 lynch people will lack context for the conversation during the day, which is the very point of the day game. The information lost is not just the flip of a person, but who voted them, with what arguments, and forms the very foundation of how the town power roles will choose their night actions. Information is key, and timely information moreso. People flipping at the start of D2 is not nearly as useful, and a nolynch will result in people using their powers on whoever they were voting (if block/investigate) or a crapshoot for protections and the like, due to lack of context and closure.

A D1 no-lynch pretty much wastes all of D1 content, and gives scum a chance to NK/convert/whatever while town has to shoot in the dark. The amount of information lost is not small, but most importantly, you lose the opportunity to use it. N1 will never come again. Even if you learn the information later, you'll never get that night back, which scum got for free. Not good for town at all.

Also considering the fact that the D1 lynchee is almost always town (when was the last time anyone saw a scum hang D1?),
Not that rare. The very last game I played (Cybrid Mafia 3) we lynched scum D1. A couple games before that (Politibastard) as well, though that was a... different sort of game. I'm sure there are several others.

So sure, it doesn't happen that often, but it certainly does happen. Plus the possibility of a mislynch is built into the balance of the game. If there is going to be one, it's best for town that it happens sooner rather than later, so maximum information is provided early. It's never good, but a D1 no-lynch is worse.

Please disabuse yourself of the notion that a D1 no-lynch is good for town ever. Except in very narrow types of games where constant (not just D1) no-lynch can be used to break the setup (which is not the case here), whenever you think a D1 no-lynch is good because it's cautious, it's misapplied caution, and will hurt town much more than a possible mislynch would.
Hopefully this will persuade you.
I can honestly say I disagree with this, but I suppose it is true. In that case, Who do we lynch? Me, Hector, and TBF are supposedly the most viable candidates, and I sure as hell can't vote myself up... can I?
Dustan, Because I want to see how the GM will react.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 25, 2016, 08:54:57 pm »

You can vote yourself.  I suggest you don't.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 25, 2016, 08:56:30 pm »

I'm aware of the benefits of a D1 lynch vs. a D1 no lynch.

The question I ask is why TBF? A question you ignored for the rhetorical examples I presented. As I say, TBF is indulging in "new town" behaviour - my vote is yet to be locked in him, I remind y'all - and I feel you are experienced enough  (in general and specifically with TBF) to know that. TBF has been active enough for us to a) have a general read on him and b) compare his later play against. What about lynching Teneb, meaning we don't have to replace him on D1/2? BHK for his reliance on the night game? Juicebox (or Dustan) for being new?

My first vote was a pressure vote, that we have gone over (so god damn much) it was not a genuine "this is the person I want lynched" vote. It is heading that way now though, what with the tunneling and such.

I feel my play so far warrants a scum NK targeting. Take that for WIFOM, ya bastards.

PPE: for fu- how many times do you want me to say that I was voting you for pressure? That's how we get content in D1 when there was no N0. I like to move my vote around. It doesn't count 'til the day ends, so what's the point in leaving it in one place for the whole bloody day? You know I do this. Why is this time any different?

PPE2: yes you can Dustan. It is generally viewed negatively round these parts as there's no reason for it, at least not in D1. Heck, rarely on any day.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 25, 2016, 09:03:21 pm »

I'm aware of the benefits of a D1 lynch vs. a D1 no lynch.

The question I ask is why TBF? A question you ignored for the rhetorical examples I presented. As I say, TBF is indulging in "new town" behaviour - my vote is yet to be locked in him, I remind y'all - and I feel you are experienced enough  (in general and specifically with TBF) to know that. TBF has been active enough for us to a) have a general read on him and b) compare his later play against. What about lynching Teneb, meaning we don't have to replace him on D1/2? BHK for his reliance on the night game? Juicebox (or Dustan) for being new?

My first vote was a pressure vote, that we have gone over (so god damn much) it was not a genuine "this is the person I want lynched" vote. It is heading that way now though, what with the tunneling and such.

I feel my play so far warrants a scum NK targeting. Take that for WIFOM, ya bastards.

PPE: for fu- how many times do you want me to say that I was voting you for pressure? That's how we get content in D1 when there was no N0. I like to move my vote around. It doesn't count 'til the day ends, so what's the point in leaving it in one place for the whole bloody day? You know I do this. Why is this time any different?

PPE2: yes you can Dustan. It is generally viewed negatively round these parts as there's no reason for it, at least not in D1. Heck, rarely on any day.
You can vote yourself.  I suggest you don't.
Are you serious?
That's... Crazy. I didn't think people actually could do that, concidering I have not seen it in any of the forum games I viewed. Not to mention self voting does not exist in TOS.

TBF, You and hector are arguing far too much for my liking and while hector is tunneling quite hard, I suppose he does have a point when it comes to the way you are acting. He also has justified his voting thoroughly after being questioned, and more pressure needs to be applied here.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 25, 2016, 09:05:37 pm »

Hector, you still did it weird.  But at this point I feel like we're accomplishing nothing whatsoever.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 25, 2016, 10:20:03 pm »

Votecount please

Dustan
You agree that your strategy is bad then?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 25, 2016, 10:21:44 pm »

Dustan: what are you hoping to accomplish by applying more pressure to TBF? Why do you think more lressure needs to be applied on TBF specifically?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 25, 2016, 10:29:06 pm »

Votecount please

Dustan
You agree that your strategy is bad then?
I wouldn't say it's bad, but there are a lot of much more preferable strategies that I would use given the circumstances for them to be viable.
Dustan: what are you hoping to accomplish by applying more pressure to TBF? Why do you think more lressure needs to be applied on TBF specifically?
You pointed out that his actions are unusual for his normal style of play, given his experience in mafia. That had actually roused my interest and after some crossthreading, I can see that you are correct about it, which In turn raised my suspicions.it doesn't seem like he is scum, but I bet he is a third party at the least, and I want to know what he is up to.

Tbf : what is your motive this turn, given that several people suspect you and your abnormal behavior?

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 26, 2016, 12:36:48 pm »

Tiruin and Juicebox what do you think of all the pressure on TBF.  Personally I find it annoying the he double posts all the time but other then inflating post count I don't really see a reason to lynch him if it wasn't day one.

Methinks Dustan has some sort of power invoking the vote.  I would like you to share once you have concluded your test.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 26, 2016, 12:48:23 pm »

Tiruin and Juicebox what do you think of all the pressure on TBF.  Personally I find it annoying the he double posts all the time but other then inflating post count I don't really see a reason to lynch him if it wasn't day one.

Methinks Dustan has some sort of power invoking the vote.  I would like you to share once you have concluded your test.
I can tell you right now that I do not. I am just normally a bit more cautious on voting, though I am trying to adapt to meet expectations.
If you don't think that TBF is suspicious, who would you go after then, Fillipk?

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 26, 2016, 12:51:30 pm »

I can tell you right now that I do not. I am just normally a bit more cautious on voting, though I am trying to adapt to meet expectations.
If you don't think that TBF is suspicious, who would you go after then, Fillipk?
Because I would be bandwagoning.  When someone else doesn't call outdone thing I find suspicious then I'll vote but until then it's bandwagoning.  Especially on the first day.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 26, 2016, 01:13:48 pm »

It's interesting your response there was bandwagoning, as though you were anticipating answering a question that wasn't quite asked...

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 26, 2016, 01:22:36 pm »

It's interesting your response there was bandwagoning, as though you were anticipating answering a question that wasn't quite asked...
Very true, though in the process he didn't actually answer my question..

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 26, 2016, 02:55:21 pm »

At this point he's definitely on my radar, and it might be useful to continue pressuring him. In fact, at this point I am leaning towards voting for him.

Because I would be bandwagoning.  When someone else doesn't call outdone thing I find suspicious then I'll vote but until then it's bandwagoning.  Especially on the first day.

Now this is interesting to me. Like hector said,  it's like you were expecting a different question. I'd like to see your answer  to Dustan's question

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 26, 2016, 03:47:07 pm »

Votecount:
-TheDarkStar       [ 0]     
-hector13            [ 1]: TheBiggerFish
-Griffinpup           [ 0]
-BlackHeartKabal  [ 0]
-fillipk                [ 0]
-Dustan Hache     [ 1]: TheDarkStar
-Tiruin                [ 0]
-juicebox            [ 0]
-Teneb               [ 0]
-FallacyofUrist     [ 0]:
-TheBiggerFish     [ 3]: FallacyofUrist, Dustan, hector13

Day ends in 1 hour

Don't do that for a NOT-vote, or don't do that for a VOTE?
Both.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:47:34 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31