Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Robbing a tower  (Read 1119 times)

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
Robbing a tower
« on: June 29, 2016, 10:13:21 am »

The wiki suggests just dashing to the top of the tower and reading the slab there if one wants to become a necromancer, upon which point both necromancers and undead there will become friendly. I tried that, and it didn't work, so now I'm kind of unable to find a way to escape the tower after retrieving the slab.

Is there a way to remove the stone blocks that make up the tower? If so, I could be a flying animal person, fly to the top of the tower, then break the ceiling to gain access to the slab room.

Alternatively, what happens if I pick up the slab, then retire immediately? Will my adventurer die anyway?

Is there any other way to steal the slab I'm missing? If it matters: I'm playing the 64 bit release. Note that I don't simply want to become a necromancer, I want to move the physical slab somewhere (let's just say I'm going to build a necromancer-centric fort).

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
Re: Robbing a tower
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:03:43 pm »

I think reading a book with death, the tower, or other such things in the title will also grant necromancy, but don't quote me on that, I'm not 100% sure.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:21:38 pm »

I think reading a book with death, the tower, or other such things in the title will also grant necromancy, but don't quote me on that, I'm not 100% sure.

I know, but to get to such books I need to climb the tower too.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 02:07:40 pm »

The wiki suggests just dashing to the top of the tower and reading the slab there if one wants to become a necromancer, upon which point both necromancers and undead there will become friendly. I tried that, and it didn't work, so now I'm kind of unable to find a way to escape the tower after retrieving the slab.

Is there a way to remove the stone blocks that make up the tower? If so, I could be a flying animal person, fly to the top of the tower, then break the ceiling to gain access to the slab room.

Alternatively, what happens if I pick up the slab, then retire immediately? Will my adventurer die anyway?

Is there any other way to steal the slab I'm missing? If it matters: I'm playing the 64 bit release. Note that I don't simply want to become a necromancer, I want to move the physical slab somewhere (let's just say I'm going to build a necromancer-centric fort).

1. You can't dismantle constructions in NPC sites in the base game. DFHack with advfort allows as much, but that's not available for the latest version yet, nor will it be for 64bit versions for, presumably, quite some time.

2. Towers aren't a site you may retire in, IIRC.

3. A bug makes books, slabs, and other artifacts vanish from history if removed from their base site, sadly enough.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 02:10:58 pm »

3. A bug makes books, slabs, and other artifacts vanish from history if removed from their base site, sadly enough.

Really? Well, that's a pity. Does this happen even if I place it in another library?

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying for Nakéen to stay this time (copium)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 03:40:48 pm »

Alright. Here's how you dunk on a necro tower.

1) When creating your character, make sure (s)he is a good axeman or swordsman, a good fighter and a good dodger and/or shield user
2) Acquire an iron axe/sword (preferably battle axe or 2 handed sword)
3) Go to the necro tower
4) Go near the entrance so that the zombies spot you
5) Step back a little (make sure the necromancers can't see you). Now the zombies should be coming at you in a line
6) Wait using . or , until a zombie comes up to you
7) Attack the zombie, aiming for the neck/head with a axe hack / sword slash (stab if you aim for the head). If your weapon and fighter skills are high enough this should always succeed in decapitating the zombie in one hit (or crushing his brain if you're using stab).
8 ) Repeat from step 6 until there are no more zombies
9) Profit !
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:42:38 pm by Legendary Marksdorf »

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 04:35:32 pm »

If your aim is just to play a necro fort grab an older version of DF with DFhack, find a tower and type:

"enable embark-tools"

then

"embark-tools enable anywhere"

Then lock the doors on the tower as soon as you arrive to then tunnel under it and collapse it.
You should probably also look for books of the secret of life and death with the artifact(L) screen as I was not able to learn  necromacy from slabs in fort mode.