Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I might not be able to make cannons, but I can make something like cannons...  (Read 1642 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also works with all other ammos. Small, fire-starting arrows for example; or a "bomb" ammo for ranged weapons in traps.

It is easy to set up too, using only two additions:
Onload.init get this line:
Code: [Select]
modtools/projectile-trigger -material INORGANIC:WILDFIRE -command [ modtools/spawn-flow -material INORGANIC:WILDFIRE -location [ \\LOCATION ] -flowType Dragonfire -flowSize 2250 ]

And you need a new material, in this case called WILDFIRE.
[INORGANIC:WILDFIRE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:wildfire][DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:1][TILE:176]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:30]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:wildfire]
       [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:wildfire]
       [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:wildfire]
       [STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:wildfire]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1000]

Thats it. If you want to use it in fort mode, you obviously still need a way to produce said inorganic and/or ammo. I'm currently working on that. I plan to release three parts, one for ammo, one for siegeammo and one for traps.

Only issue I found is that the spawned dragonfire always drags towards the west. It spawns in a location, spreads westwards with a bit of north/south in it. No flow towards the east.

In my case I make the ammo from saltpeter, brimstone, coke, oil and lye:
[REACTION:MAKE_WILDFIRE_BALLISTA]
[NAME:Make wildfire ballista ammo]
[BUILDING:where-ever-you-like:CUSTOM_NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:BRIMSTONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SALTPETER]
[REAGENT:C:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[REAGENT:lye:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:LYE]
[REAGENT:lye container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:lye]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[REAGENT:oil:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[UNROTTEN]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAP_MAT]
[REAGENT:oil container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:oil]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SIEGEAMMO:ITEM_SIEGEAMMO_BALLISTA:INORGANIC:WILDFIRE]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:53:00 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Couldn't you try modifying this 'wildfire' for a catapult in order to simulate a mortar? This fire area of denial seems pretty good when landing from above rather than than directly towards the ground.

Cannonballs don't really explode either, (that's more artillery shells) the closest you're going to find to a cannonball in the game is a smallish (and possibly multiple small ones for grapeshots which is just lots of tiny cannon balls like the worlds biggest shotgun) minecart given the collision between the ball and the body/ground is what causes the real damage (not this false assumption that they explode).

Why not try shooting out minecarts but having them dissapear when they make contact?

All and all this is really good stuff anyway.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Making catapult ammo works two ways:
1. make boulders.
2. make "something" out of wildfire and use dfhacks manual loading script.

Both are not that nice, because the way I know people, they will:
1. use the boulders for all kinds of other stuff (wildfire chair, wall, etc) / too much work setting up the catapult so that it only loads wildfire boulders.
2. dont know/remember how manually loading a catapult with dfhack works (its too much work/micromanagement).

I thought ballista-ammo would make it easier to use.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why not substitute or attach the wildfire to lignite boulders? A already flammable fuel source/boulder inside the game that is non-economic but not quite heavy enough to substitute for firing out of a catapult.

Quoting the wiki, it will already burn for up to a year left to its own devices and triggered by heat/fire/lava. If you could force all that 'wildfire' to come from the pre-prepared lignite/lignite product as well as residual heat from the lignites fire reaction you have a pretty hefty fire bomb on your hands however you apply it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Game balance, I'd say. Using lignite or bituminous coal would make it way easy to obliterate sieges.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Game balance, I'd say. Using lignite or bituminous coal would make it way easy to obliterate sieges.

Thats fair enough assessment, but for the sheer amount of fire destruction it causes (given that for a entire year, you're going to have scorched earth and therefore unusable areas) wouldn't that balance it out? All your migrants and future caravans catch fire for the sake of keeping what remains of your fortress safe.

Thats not to say you couldn't just ramp up the cost (because its not always guaranteed on embarks & lots of it may take time to arrive via caravan) or add something else valuable to the interaction. (a vial full of fire snake extract sounds suitable)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

It doesnt start fires that often, since it instantly ashy-fies (thats a word now) everything. Especially if you had a fire before, there is nothing that could burn and start a second on. ;)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

Out of curiosity, did siege weaponry get fixed so it shoots straight now? Tracker suggests it does: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6483

Q debugged it awhile ago that the problem was the game wasn't taking account the operator skill.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something else of interest for you

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Trap_component_token

This link has some detail about traps, theoretically with your wildfire grenades (or just masterwork grenades) you could have traps eject shots of wildfire for one use bursts in order to roast a group of targets.

Installing a trap into a screw pump is also a interesting possibility. Fire a barrage of arrows by pumping for some kind of machine gun?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

You misunderstood the screw pump thing... its not a trap inside the pump, its that pumps require this piece, which happens to be a trapcomp, at least officially speaking.

I already use wildfire bombs in traps. you build a bomb case and a bomb filling. Then you build a weapon-trap with the bomb case. The bomb filling is the ammo. Its a one-use thing, because the explosion will destroy the trap itself.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You misunderstood the screw pump thing... its not a trap inside the pump, its that pumps require this piece, which happens to be a trapcomp, at least officially speaking.

I already use wildfire bombs in traps. you build a bomb case and a bomb filling. Then you build a weapon-trap with the bomb case. The bomb filling is the ammo. Its a one-use thing, because the explosion will destroy the trap itself.

Fair enough, you learn something everyday. I was thinking in the context of it being malleable (therefore exploitable to modify the pumping action to do other things, since the wiki explicitly states putting A WEAPON inside the screw pump, not a pipe, which we know is powered by dwarf labour to activate or turned on by gears) but it seemed to be hardcoded.

By reasonable estimation, a screw pump trap if it had similar properties to the screw pump (such as instead of water, the affected tile harbours the trap component) would be valuable dug into walls for manual coverage of 2 wide hallways with screw traps built into the walls & activating grinding traps more easily (but thats speculation)

What if you made a subtype (extract maybe?) of wildfire without the explosive properties (to shoot jets of fire out from steel mechanism traps able to withstand the heat)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Sure, I can do that. Fire-breath trap. But due to have the script works (it doesnt allow for a direction) it would always go towards the western direction. :/

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

Sure, I can do that. Fire-breath trap. But due to have the script works (it doesnt allow for a direction) it would always go towards the western direction. :/

If I remember how this all works internally, flows have a "direction" field in their structure that you can set to cause it to go in a given way; the default would be 00 which is west. You could probably set that with spawn-flow to get it to go the right direction.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bump, why not use [firejet] (as seen in fire-men) and direct the flow upward (as a outsider dfhack nobody noob perspective by designating the //location 1 z level above but leaving the flow to sort itself out unless i've misunderstood that wrong, im sure theres some way to force a adventure mode like target since that's how abilities intially work, else why would they point west? unless thats default) from point of origin instead? meaning that tile where in the spike/weapon trap originates can shoot at the ceiling or z level above, leading to the fire bouncing back down off the ceiling and spreading out (promoting using it through a grille beneath also) and immediately setting the person setting the trap on fire initially

When it the null attack property weapon/spike trap activates, run the script and eject the fire, it'll still trigger because its attached to the trap-part when it comes into use.

[FIREJET] doesn't melt 80% of the stuff on the user and steel mechanisms can create the trap and not incinerate themselves (you can also broadly protect yourself with a mix of steel armour and fire proof materials though bleeding and minor burns will be a issue, so mostly ineffective on some armors unless they have a low melting point.)

Yes i did misunderstand the trap inside the screw pump initially, but what i was trying to get at is that if you put a fire jet/dragonfire/fireball (or some other kind of projectile) via a dfhack broadly corresponding with the direction of where the screwpump is facing (to which one direction of flow might work) you could set the script again to trigger when the trap is powered and the screwpump comes into use.

Meaning every tick where the screwpump is working via gears/dwarf labour, it'll be continuously barraging fire/projectiles until it is turned off.