Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 62088 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)
« Reply #465 on: July 05, 2018, 04:24:18 pm »

Mining could also work for making walls, but no matter how one does them it's a lot of work for webcollection, and little point if it is only for fisherdwarves. Well, hopefully you have plans for webbers.

Bauxite being leftover from the days where it was only magma-safe stone, I assume.

Well, I guess I'll be dotting my ös from now. Took quite a while to learn this, though :P

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 05, 2018, 04:40:18 pm »

plans for webbers.

Who's been looking at my notes?  *suspicious glare*   :P

Bauxite being leftover from the days where it was only magma-safe stone, I assume.

Yes.

Well, I guess I'll be dotting my ös from now. Took quite a while to learn this, though :P

No worries.  It comes from growing up speaking a language where accents are actually important in differentiating between some words.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 05, 2018, 10:16:32 pm »

Journal of Airith

Dear Armok, these past few years have been hard on us. With the quotas and the needs of the fort coming at odds more than a few times. I've been busy at work in my workshop for most of it, but I have noticed that we have allowed elves to live with us. Humans I can stomach, they make good cheese and decent booze, but why Lotu would allow an elf into the fort, let alone live here, is beyond me.

I say that, but after hearing about how that Spearelf, what was his name, oh yes, Iru, he gave his life trying to save a few dwarves on the surface last month, so I have begun to look at the elves here in another light. I still don't agree with their practices, but I don't think of them like I used to, I'll ask Lotu to commemorate that elf in some way, maybe a small shrine or slab.

Speaking of my husband, I never see him anymore, nor any of my other family. Even little Ryu spends his days with the other kids and not with me... I get so lonely working here all day. The militia sessions are nice though.

I think we just need some temples. Nothing gets a dwarf's mood in higher spirits than a dedicated temple to their patron deity. I really hope Lotu doesn't forget Golastigest while making the temples. While painting isn't very helpful to us, Armok knows we need Inspiration here.

- * - * - * - * - * - * -

Yeah, the enraptured thought is the most powerful positive emotion in the game currently, so maybe you should prioritize the temples a bit more. Would hate to see this place collapse due to a buggy update.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 06, 2018, 06:30:24 am »

Yeah, the enraptured thought is the most powerful positive emotion in the game currently, so maybe you should prioritize the temples a bit more. Would hate to see this place collapse due to a buggy update.

Thanks for the tip, I'll see about designating some more dedicated temples for the most stressed.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 07, 2018, 10:44:03 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, broker.

01 Limestone 90

Deduk's list of injuries is extensive.

The doctors think she’ll live, though she’ll may never walk again.  Imic has relieved her of military duties until we know the full extent of her recovery.  She’s also been told, in no uncertain terms, that she is not allowed to haul anything larger than a goblet while she has so many splints and casts that it’s almost impossible to see the dwarf inside.  Meanwhile, the scholars keep complaining about a lack of quires for the library, so I’ve tasked her with taking the paper Tun has been churning out and turning it into books.  That should be fully within her capabilities, once her hands heal.

But the Oracular Golds are now down a dwarf, probably permanently.  Mooney re-assigned them one of his dwarves, the new widow Momuz Swordfigures, from the Pillars of Ink.  Hopefully the need to get integrated into a different squad will distract her from her grief.

06 Limestone 90

With most of the walls and roof built around the tavern, we’ve set up the necessary storage areas and furniture.  Some of the human visitors seem to think that it’s quite homey.

--------------------

10 Hematite 90

I never noticed how much stuff gets dropped on the floor and forgotten.  Deduk was amazed at how much difference a new vantage point made.  There’s so much used clothing.  And the kids leave toys all over the place, and…

Picking up a tattered cloak, she slung it around her shoulders for easy carrying.  Then she stretched forward and anchored one forearm on the clay soil.  With a grunt, she slid herself forward a bare hands-breadth.  Placing her other arm a little further in front, she repeated the process.  Inch by agonizingly slow and painful inch, she moved down the corridor to the Central Spire.

Thank the deities Lotu dug out ramps instead of stairs.  I don’t know how I’d get myself down those!

She slowly started down head-first.  But now, instead of pulling herself forward, she had to brace herself against her arms in order to stop from falling.  All of a sudden, the throbbing pain of her broken and splinted left arm and both hands spiked as she mis-judged the next placement of her arm.  A white-hot spear shot through the injured limbs.

“Ahhh!”

Convulsively jerking her broken arm back, she was unable to compensate against the sudden forward tumble.  A moment later she stopped moving in an ignominious jumble of arms, legs, and splints at the bottom of the ramp.  But I still have that cloak!

“Hey, are you all right?”  Neo had been heading up to the Candies of Bursting for a drink.

Deduk focused on breathing as the pain began to die down to its previous merely painful throb.  Her glare spoke for itself.

“Here, I’ll help you back to the hospital.”  Neo reached for the less injured arm, ready to sling Deduk over his shoulder in an easy carry.

“No!”  She wasn’t going back there.  “Ah kin manage!”

Neo frowned uncertainly.  “You sure?  Only I could’ve sworn Commander Imic said th’ doctors said yer ter rest.”

Deduk snorted.  “As if Dr. Urist ever takes her nose outta her research long ‘nuff ter know anythin’ beyond broken bones and bodies.  Bed’s borin’ ‘n’ there’s tons ter do.”

Neo shrugged.  “Okay then.”  He certainly wasn’t going to go out of his way to try to convince her otherwise.

13 Limestone 90

Vucar carefully chiseled a beveled embellishment on her latest olivine door.  Yes, this will be my best masterwork yet.  Just another tiny, tiny—

“Mayor Vucar!”

The chisel jumped in her hand, and a sudden crack appeared in the stone.

“You idiot!”

MrLurkety hunched his shoulders in dismay.  “Sorry.  But I’ve been shoved outta my crafter’s by some kid.  I’m here to make a formal complaint.”

Vucar tossed the chisel onto the masonry’s table.  It was pointless to even think about resuming her painstaking work with her focus shot.

“What do you expect me to do about the kid?”

MrLurkety shrugged.  “Kick her back out?”

Vucar shook her head.  “That won’t work once a dwarf has an idea in their head.  Better to borrow one of the general-work crafters and let her get this out of her system.”

“But it’s my craftworkshop!”  It was almost a whine.

“By the time we finish moving the quota, she’ll have done whatever it is she wants to make.  She’ll just leave an almighty mess fer you ter clean up after.”

“But—“

“Trust me.  Now have a drink before the dwarven caravan arrives.  They'll be here any day.”

With a sigh that must have originated clear down in his toes, MrLurkety headed to the tavern.

--------------------

14 Limestone 90

The cry went up as the setting sun flirted with the horizon.

Crud.

They couldn’t have waited, I don’t know, another three months?

Well, we really don’t have much of a choice, so I ordered all hands to move the quota.  Well, except for Deduk.  She doesn’t need the added stress.  Not to mention the one or two items she’d manage to deliver won’t save anybody else work in the long run.

And except for Spriggans and Minkot.  We’re still short a massive number of windows, despite Mebzuth’s best efforts.  They can keep making charcoal so that Mebzuth can continue crank out as many windows as can in the little time we have left.  Even just another one or two might be the difference between the King being merely angry and being in a flaming frothing fury.

20 Limestone 90

After much running around, Lokum has finally started on her project.

She doesn’t seem to have much imagination but…what’s with all of the bone?

--------------------

23 Limestone 90

Bearskie stretched his arms over his head.  This was one of the nicer dwarven cities he had been in, but it seemed to be innate to every dwarf that all they did was work, work, work.  They do make very good beer, though.

With a smile of appreciation, he headed up the Central Spire to the Candies of Bursting.  It was much more welcoming since the dwarves had started putting actual food and drink in the tavern itself, instead of making a poor man trek halfway across the village for a goblet and then across another half for the actual drink, when he got a mite parched.

Yes, this is quite a nice place, for dwarves.  And much safer than any human settlement I’ve ever come across.  Though why they tolerate the presence of elves is beyond me.

Shrugging a bit, he walked into the tavern.  Heading over to choose a roast for dinner, he caught sight of Pesor, sitting at one of the tables.  He grabbed his dinner, an exceptional dog tallow roast, with giant mole tallow and giant porcupine tallow mixed in.  I’ll never understand how something that is pure fat can taste so good.

The passing thought disappeared as he sat down and got a good look at Pesor’s drawn and haggard expression.

“Hey, what’s wrong?  Who died?”

Pesor didn’t answer, just lifted her goblet and drained it.  Then, as if in a trance, she got up and re-filled it from one of the barrels nearby.

No matter what Bearksie said, Pesor simply sat, turning the goblet ‘round and ‘round and ‘round, staring into its depths like the alcohol held the secrets of the universe.  Occasionally she would quaff a deep draught, but mostly she just sat there silently, oblivious to the hustle and bustle of the noisy tavern.

“Okay, then.”  At a loss as to what to do, Bearskie finally gave up and went back to work.

--------------------

25 Limestone 90

Lokum has emerged from her “borrowed” crafting shop, brandishing her new treasure for all to see.

Well, that’s one of the most useless things ever.

And she’s very attached to it.  Every time anyone tries to take it for a closer look, she screams out “mine!” in this ear-shattering pitch.  So we can’t even trade it as part of a quota.

From what I can tell, it’s actually not bad, for a nine-year-old’s untutored attempt.

Sabrequills, hmmm.  Nope, never heard of her.  Why did Lokum pick a random dwarf, anyway? 
OOC: Doren Sabrequills is a great-aunt of Lokum's, who hasn't done anything other than get married and settle in Theaterknowledge, according to Legends.

26 Limestone 90

Vucar has sent another human complete with an almost completely blank resident form.

Well, at least she’s a soldier and not an entertainer, which explains why Vucar marked the form “approved”.  We can always use more soldiers.  Plus Uso has several cousins here, including Gel and Kara, so she’s welcome to stay.

I sent her off to Imic, who complained about having no mace-dwarf squads.  He’s added her to the Pale Roads, instead.  I can bet that he’ll be in my office demanding complete sets of equipment for a new squad, this time of macedwarves, as soon as the quota has been shipped out, if not sooner.  I might as well add it to my to-do list now to bring up to NCommander the next time I see her.

--------------------

27 Limestone 90

Vucar gestured for Echoworked to have a seat at a corner table in the Candies of Bursting, and brought over two brimful goblets.  The drunker I am, the easier this is going to be.

“First off, let me bring you up to date on events elsewhere in our great empire.”

“But the highlight is that we’ve lost all contact with Helmsmatch.  The King’s Council fears that the goblins have seized it, as they have other settlements to the far south.

Vucar obediently updated Atölasob’s maps.

“Is there anything else?”

“Well, a few positions have changed hands, that sort of thing,”  Echoworked replied.

“Any changes to Swordgangs?” Please Gorroth, let there be changes there.

“Swordgangs has had the deities’ favors this year.  They’ve gained four dwarves for a total of 68.”

Not what I was looking for.  “Anything else?”

Echoworked thought for a moment.  “No, I believe that covers it.”

Vucar barely managed to not roll her eyes.  Like that’s not bad enough?  For two coins I’d go up there myself and—

But Echoworked was already asking about Atölasob’s needs.

Vucar thought for a minute.  “Some blue peafowl, since we only have a blue peahean.  Oh, and some olivine.”

“You do remember that you’re only allowed to import one item as long as you’re so far above the import cap?”

Vucar did roll her eyes at that.  “Yes.  That’s what the peafowl are for.  The olivine is for me.  Mark it as my personal allotment.”

Echoworked looked affronted.  “The King won’t allow that.”

“Then tell the King that if he insists on refusing me my personal allotment on the caravans, and Rigòth Dikepage’s, for that matter, given everything that we and our husbands did for him almost a century ago, that he will regret it.  He became King with our help, but will he stay King if the Founders are against him?”

“You want me to threaten King Dodòk?”  Echoworked spluttered.

“I want my personal allotment free of his grubby little fingers.”

Echoworked started to protest.

“If you don’t see to it, I’ll deal with you, first.”

Echoworked froze, mouth partly open.  A careful swallow later, he pulled in a deep breath.  “I’ll do my best, Honorable Vucar.”

Vucar relaxed, satisfied.

The rest of the meeting passed quickly, with Echoworked handing over Bomrek’s newest set of demands, and then excusing himself to get an updated herd count.

No sooner had Echoworked taken his leave than Vucar swept up the list and headed off to find Lotu.  She finally found him hauling a window.  “Here.”  She stuffed the list into his mouth.  “Per our agreement, you deal with this.”

“Mm-mmph.  Mnoof!”

Vucar waved as she went to grab her own quota load.

Lotu hurried to drop off the window, then looked at the slightly smeared list.  One item immediately caught his eye.

WHAT!  He rubbed a fist over his eyes, then looked again.  No, it definitely wasn’t a hallucination.  Crystal glass anything is impossible!  I’ll tell Akrul that he wants green glass.  She’ll never know the difference, and Bomrek will take it, curse his hide.  But at least the rest looks easy enough at first glance.

--------------------

28 Limestone 90

Rimtar seems to have trouble sleeping these days.  He keeps stumbling around the corridors, aimlessly.

02 Sandstone 90

And now Arstruk has followed suit.

A maudlin goblin is just wrong.

04 Sandstone 90

And Ustres seems to have felt left out. 

Why are all of the doctors incapable of dealing with reality?

07 Sandstone 90

I took some time away from hauling far too many windows, and investigated the whole “doctors getting depressed” issue.  We can’t afford to not have a medical team.  What did I find out?  You may well ask.  Rimtar is the most vocal one, and he keeps babbling about seeing horrifying corpses.  I was rather confused, until I realized that all three doctors have been hauling body parts out to the corpse pile.

Of course they’re going to see dead bodies.  But, because we kind of need doctors, I’ve relieved them of refuse-hauling duties.

09 Sandstone 90

Echoworked stopped me this morning, before he left on his long journey back to Theaterknowledge.  He wanted to praise our efforts to build up a diverse zoo operation.

OOC: *** indicate animals that were added to that category since the previous fall.  We either acquired one of the sexes, or we acquired both at once.

17 Sandstone 90

We’ve finally finished moving the quota, and the traders have warned us that they’ll be leaving soon, so I girded my loins and waded into the counting.  Before I started officially handing things over, we were not in a good spot regarding imports.

Before Trade:

I choose a single platinum bar as our import allowance.  If we do have to chain someone up for disturbing the peace, at least they’ll have something nice to admire.  I also turned over a lot of imported items that weren’t part of the quota, just to try and get the import numbers down.

I succeeded, to some extent.

After Trade:

But our final numbers weren’t great.

Ummm.  The only items definitely not fulfilled were windows, and we weren’t even halfway on those, despite everything that Mebzuth could do.  What’s with Bomrek’s window obsession, anyway?  Is he trying to build a mountain out of them?

--------------------

18 Sandstone 90

The wagons started moving at first light, before the sun had even peeked over the horizon.

Lotu watched them start across Tayldis Bridge, heading toward ever farther toward the northwest.  Those windows still bothered him.  Well, nothing I can do about it now.  He hefted his pick, then turned toward the Central Spire.  But, there’s always more digging to be done.

21 Sandstone 90

Step.  Swing!  Step.  Swing!  Step.  Swing!

Lotu was almost in a trance as he added a shortcut from the western living wings to the Central Spire.  Ingish was working almost in tandem, though he was still slightly slow compared to the far more experienced Lotu.

Step.  Swing!  Step.  Swing!  CRACK!

“Wait, what?  There’s third one of these things?!?”

Both dwarves stood stared, first at the jagged opening through which leaked phosphorescent light, then at each other, then back at the opening.

“How did we manage to avoid it for so long?”  Ingish wondered out loud.  “We’ve done so much digging around here by now.”

Lotu ran a hand over his head.  “I don’t know, but we need this like we need a hole in the head.  Quick, grab those boulders and let’s block this back up.  It looks like this won’t be a shortcut, after all.”

The Autumn of Bad Luck, that’s what I should call this.
OOC: I'd been wondering for a while when I would hit it, because I've been mucking around a lot in that general area, and I had genned the world with three cavern layers, so I know it was hiding somewhere.

23 Sandstone 90

Lotu was still mulling over the implications of the newly discovered middle cavern. 

I wonder how much will it affect the planned aquifer pipes and railways on the other side?  Not to mention some of those pipe-dream plans of expansion.

Quietly, he headed down to dig an exploratory shaft eastward.

--------------------

24 Sandstone 90

After digging what turned out to be a second exploratory shaft that I promptly blocked up before anything dangerous could sneak through, I sat down with Stodir in the library to give him some idea of my findings.  He is convinced that the first long-distance railway down to the magma will need to be completely re-drawn in order to avoid possible cavern issues.

I left him to it.

25 Sandstone 90

And another one.  These are starting to get routine.  Imic sent the Helmed Anvils, the Boats of Mining and the Barricaded Charity to the caverns to deal with the thing.  I suppose it makes since if he’s feeling a little leery after the damage that rat did this summer.

26 Sandstone 90

After a short but bloody battle, Äs Tomefenced struck the killing blower, smashing through the creature’s skull with his hammer with lethal precision.  It definitely wasn’t a serious threat.

27 Sandstone 90

I finally sat down and worked out the necessary numbers for this next quota.  68 dwarves are nothing to sneeze at.

All of this should be perfectly manageable, assuming that we don’t get any other nasty surprises.  Well, except for the crystal glass.  I’m sure Akrul won’t notice that I accidentally spilled some bilberry wine on that part of the agreement.  Not when it’s clear that I went back over it and made it legible again.

04 Timber 90

Stodir finally finished redrawing the railway design.  The downward railway makes sense, but I had to ask about the distinct lack of power sources and all of the upward ramps in the upward segment.  After all, the whole point is to free up hands, not tie down even more dwarves pushing carts around.

He went into a long, complicated explanation.  I have to admit, it went completely over my head.  About the only thing I could follow was that the upward-moving railways will use some sort of “impulse ramp” magic.  Whatever that is.  I’ll just dig it out, and leave the actual workings to the mechanics.

07 Timber 90

I much prefer when things are quiet.  With our craftsdwarves and carpenters primarily responsible for this next quota, the others have started building some more walls on the tower, and re-organizing some of the stockpiles, preparatory to setting up our full magma workspaces.

--------------------

13 Timber 90

The dwarf studied the wall blocking his way into the lowest, and most dangerous, caverns.  That Lotu.  He couldn’t have left even a single, tiny, little crack that I could use to turn this wall into a secret door?

Running his fingers over each and every barely visible seam, he grimaced.  Anything he did would be noticeable given how perfectly the wall had been built.  Anyone not a dwarf would never know that it wasn’t a natural wall.

Now how am I supposed to get that Oggez Arak Shedim to accidentally enter Atölasob?  Wait a minute, maybe I can trick some poor idiot into taking it down prematurely?  But which idiot?

Muttering to himself, the dwarf started back up the Central Spire to his workshop far, far above.

17 Timber 90

The seven elves gathered around, mourning the life lost.

“I don’t get it.  It should have worked.”  Lulo touched a leaf on the dead sand pear sapling.

“We did everything they told us.”  Cata added.

Kifino was down on one knee, inspecting every inch of the tiny tree.  “We knew when we started that we were attempting the very difficult.  Maybe when our brethren return in the spring, they’ll have some more advice.”

Masami took a more practical bent.  “In the meantime, we can nurture the peach sapling up in the northwest part of the Sacred Grove.”

“What!”  The elves rushed over to where Masami knelt.  Sure enough, four tiny green leaves stretched bravely upward.

Kifino gave a single sharp nod.  “One of you needs to always be on duty here.  Make sure no one steps on this precious little one.  Our Sacred Grove will have trees.  Trees that even these dwarves will have no reason to kill.”

--------------------

23 Timber 90

Somehow Imic and NCommander keep finding time to themselves.  I’m amazed!

Imic is convinced she’ll be another great soldier, like himself and her oldest sister, the hammerdwarf Thîkut.

I need to find a way to distract Airith from her work long enough to actually get some “us” time.

28 Timber 90

With the end of the season, Lorbam came to report on quota progress.  We're off to a pretty good start.

Now, if only we can keep it up…

FYI: All of the depressed citizens are atheist, so the temple fix wouldn’t work on them.  None of the others are unusually stressed…yet.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 07, 2018, 11:01:50 pm »

Late Autumn 90, Swordgangs

"Meng!  Meng Baldarrow!"  The roar echoed through the corridors, as it often did.

With a sigh, Meng put his quill back into its holder and rose, gathering together several sheets of paper.  As he moved to the door, Bomrek's bulk filled it.  "Yes, sir?"

"Those useless dwarves down at Finderboards have sent more of their barely useable refuse piles." 

Finderboards?  Oh yes, of course Bomrek refuses to acknowledge that Atölasob has grown large enough to be considered a city.  Meng shook his head at Bomrek's typical refusal to see anything that disagreed with his version of reality.  I do hope they have more reasonable administrators than we do here.

Bomrek didn't notice, his long strides already carrying him down the hall.  Meng scurried to keep up.  As they walked out toward the trade depot, Bomrek detoured past a large room clearly under construction.  "They had better have those windows.  We can't finish the arena without them."

Meng kept his opinion to himself.  As if we need a fighting arena for entertainment.

Reaching the trade depot, a few things quickly became obvious.  "What are all of those crossbows doing here!?"  Bomrek grabbed the nearest one and threw it at the nearest trader.  "I asked for maces!  Not crossbows!  No self-respecting dwarven soldier uses those elven tools!"

Meng studied the diagram that had been carefully packed into the crossbow bin, then hefted one of the crossbows.  Having trained as a ranger in his youth, the crossbow did feel very oddly balanced.  "Sir?  I think these are intended to train macedwarves, not marksdwarves.  Try this one.  Do feel how odd it is?"

Bomrek took the crossbow and hefted it, then swung it against one of the depot supports.  With a groan, the support collapsed, bringing the entire aging structure down on top of the two dwarves and all of the traders.  The latter, with much cursing of Bomrek and all of his antecedents, grabbed their pack animals and wagons, and fought their way free of the debris, which consisted mostly of splintered wooden timbers and shards of glass.  "That's it, I've had it!"  Atîs Lashedround snarled.  "We're outta here!"

And, without even waiting for the message that Swordgangs usually sent upon receiving the quota, the traders vamoosed.

Bomrek scowled as he watched the slowly-settling dust of their departure.  "Find a messenger--"  But even as he spoke, the first flakes of what would prove to be a very snowy winter were already starting to fall.

I hit the posting limit on the previous post, so the character list is here, instead:

Current character list:
Spoiler: Clan A Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan B Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan C Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan D Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan E Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan F Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan G Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan H Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan I Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan J Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan K Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan L Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan W Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan X Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Y Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Z Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Following are updated profiles for all claimed characters in the order in which they appear on the units list:
Spoiler: Lyra (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Imic 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sky 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sky 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Airith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Another 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Another 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NCommander 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NCommander 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MrLurkety (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mooney 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mooney 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spriggans (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lotu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dr. Urist 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dr. Urist 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Neo 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neo 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bob (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ryukan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bearskie (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:19:33 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 07, 2018, 11:33:52 pm »

Hah. Ahaha.

Wheelchaired hauler? That's an use for Dodok alright.

Kind of mean, though. Still, I suppose not having to move ore like that is kindness.

Lokum's artifact

That looks like it could be a nice puzzlebox. Slide blocks around, twirling around straight bones, etc...

...A scepter? Aw.

Quota

At least this will be last time you'll be short on windows, I expect.

Crystal glass instruments? Ow. You can except an average of what, 1-2 tiles of crystal glass per 48x48 square? If there's any rock crystals in embark at all(if cavern discovery didn't mention it, one might be out of luck)....Well, even in luck one would need an army of miners to excavate full 4z of 4x4 embark.

At least it isn't over 200 of them. Still, even clear would be easier.

But I guess Bomrek really likes glass. A mountain of windows...That would be pretty pretty with crystal glass splitting morning sun into colours of the rainbow.

World

Well, looks like Theaterknowledge could be next, actually. It's not the closest, but if goblins keep coming north...

...And nice convo, imagined on a scrap.

Mental health   

12 hour workdays, poor pay, upset patients...Doctors' job is pretty stressful though.

For couples to remain childless for years, when they only have to briefly meet when free, is perhaps one of the most alienness indicator of dwarves.

I wonder; can creatures start worshipping gods after worldgen is finished? If so, could send them offsite to find religion.

Cavern

Who goes there? Whose foot fall on ground until now unseen by dwarves?

I oft reroute as well, but for smaller things I've used brute force. And you're pretty forceful with the terrain.

Swordgangs.

Yeah, refuse piles doesn't look good. The word is kept, but the spirit is bent.

But hey, it looks like that's a good and effective ...mace? Didn't they request hammers? Maces would have been much harder.

Nonetheless, for change it isn't Theaterknowledge that has to give up on caravan due a fight.

Of course, the timing may be inopportune - after all, Vucar just threatened the king themselves, and now Swordgangs reports complete failure of caravan as well.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 08, 2018, 06:58:41 am »

Crystal glass instruments?

We have 16 rock crystals dug out and forbidden (for use solely for a mood that requires crystal glass).  I refuse to use them for a quota just on principle.

But hey, it looks like that's a good and effective ...mace? Didn't they request hammers? Maces would have been much harder.

No, they ordered maces.  The whole hammer conversation in the summer update was used as a lead-in to get "training maces", since both weapons use the hammering skill (from what I can tell).

Of course, the timing may be inopportune - after all, Vucar just threatened the king themselves, and now Swordgangs reports complete failure of caravan as well.

Hehe.

- Dame de la Licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 08, 2018, 04:41:46 pm »

A mood can't require crystal glass if you never produce any in the first place, though....

Maces use Macedwarf skill, not hammering skill. (Meanwhile, sword has short, long, 2h, blowgun and bow all under its aegis, while spear has just spear.)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 08, 2018, 05:11:09 pm »

Huh, I hadn't realized that there was an actual difference in skill (I assumed it was simply called two things, depending on the weapon).  Well, the "training maces" thing was still necessary to make the quota.

A mood can't require crystal glass if you never produce any in the first place, though....

I'd forgotten that part of the current DF.  Well, I don't have a reason to make any crystal glass yet, and I plan to make it count if/when I do.

- Dame de la Licorne

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 08, 2018, 05:54:39 pm »

Early Winter 90, Swordgangs

"And?"  Bomrek charged into Meng's tiny cubbyhole of an office. 

Glancing up at the interruption, Meng hastily moved the sheet of figures he had been calculating safely out of the way.  This time he won't ruin almost a month's worth of work.

As he shifted his piles off the table, he responded warily.  "What?"

"My windows!  Did they send my windows?"

Meng retrieved one of the sheets and glanced down at it.  Biting his lip, he debated how to deliver the bad news.

"Well?  Spit it out!"

"You know how you sort of, well, damaged the depot a week ago?"

"Shoddy construction, shoddy material, being replaced.  What does that have to do with anything?"

"Well, the traders didn't exactly have time to unload everything, before the depot caved in."  Speaking quickly before the building explosion could spew out, he finished, "And there were an awful lot of glass shards."

Bomrek stalked to Meng's table and planted his fists on, looming over the smaller dwarf alarmingly.

"What are you getting at?"

Meng swallowed.  "Well, I only counted 5 windows.  But the falling depot must have shattered the rest."

"WHAT?  I needed those windows!  What kind of arena has hidden fights?"

"I'm not finished."  Where he found the courage, Meng didn't know.

The unexpected interruption shocked Bomrek into temporary silence.  Meng took advantage.

"If you'll recall, this is a copy of what we ordered."  Meng slid a sheet across the table for Bomrek's perusal.

"And, in addition to a fair number of those odd training maces, this is what I've managed to recover from the wreckage."

"This is appalling!  That Lotu--!"

"No sir.  This isn't Lotu's fault.  Whatever his faults, he has never provided a delivery that fell so far short of what we asked in every respect.  No sir."  Meng gathered his courage.  "The traders couldn't have unloaded everything in the time they had, and the falling depot broke a fair number of things.  Including, unfortunately, the windows."

"Then get me the idiot who broke the damned thing!  He deserves a hammering!"

Meng took great pleasure in his next words.  "Sir?  You did.  Remember that training mace?"

Bomrek spluttered for a moment.  Meng waited, patience personified.

Then Bomrek paused, struck by a sudden thought.  He started nodding, faster and faster.

"Meng!"  He actually snapped his fingers.  "Get a sheet of paper, then find a messenger to deliver it to the King!"

Sighing, Meng did as he was told.

"Take care of the proper salutations and language.  But the gist is this: we have discovered an excellent new design for a training mace, make sure you get the local scholar to include a copy of the design.  This design has already proven far more effective in early tests than any other training weapon currently in existence.  While we continue to refine our spear-making capabilities in order to make one worthy of a dwarven king, I humbly suggest to Your Majesty to arrange for whatever tests you feel necessary, using the prototypes accompanying this message.  Make sure you add at least one of the ones Lotu sent.  Got that?"

Meng nodded, writing furiously to keep up with Bomrek's fast dictation.

"Good.  Now a second one, to that incompetent Lotu.  Tell him that good quality dwarven-made glass is shatterproof against all but the mightiest foes, and I will not stand for sub-par items better suited for the refuse pile.  I expect the highest quality possible in the future."

Meng finished writing.  "But sir--"

"Now find me a messenger to deliver those!  I need to find replacement windows.  Though how I'm supposed to do that on a map with no sand..."

Bomrek's voice faded away as he strode down the hallway.

Meng sat, staring at the two rough outlines.  Slowly, he reached out for a fresh sheet, and started re-writing the first message with the proper formality, complete with all of the necessary and expected flowery language.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:56:48 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 08, 2018, 07:36:18 pm »

Crystal glass has special role in being only easy option for making white portals; which is why I aimed to maximize it in solstice worldgen. Still, for moods raw crystal glass can be thankfully imported (unlike rock crystals themselves), though you import cap is rather precarious.

Quite the low numbers for swordgangs.

Note for future: Next time build fortress out of toys. They're nearly invulnerable, like skyrim children (good to wield in battle).

I didn't expect a positive reaction to the mace.

Shatter-proof glass? Well now. That's quite the request. I guess artifact windows would qualify?

Pretty hard to produce 272 artifact windows in a year, though.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 13, 2018, 03:12:53 pm »

03 Moonstone 90

Lotu hummed under his breath as he strode downwards.  Winter was off to a quiet start, and there were a number of projects that needed work.  Of primary importance was finishing Robek’s temple, which still had stairways that needed removing from within the hollow shell.

But once I’ve dealt with those, we just need to connect up the mechanisms and open a couple of floodgates.  Not long now, Lord Robek.  Just don’t send us any more of your servants.  Please?

06 Moonstone 90

The elves gathered within the Sacred Grove, mourning the brave little life lost.

Sacred Grove?  More like Sacred Pile of Dirt! Kifino raged.  His temper did not improve when he was suddenly knocked to the ground from behind.  Turning, he beheld the massive draltha that the dwarves had tamed a few seasons ago, calmly moving on her way, uncaring of the assault on his dignity.

Those dwarves are doing it deliberately!  How can a poor sapling hope to grow when there are animals constantly trampling it down!

His gaze shifted back to the rest of his brethren.  Ithithí and Masami are really taking it hard.

It’s useless trying to coax trees to life as long as these untrained animals are allowed to move willy-nilly wherever they please.  With a single determined nod, he walked off to find Vucar. 

After all, what was the use of being in charge of the elves if he didn’t use the benefits of the position?

11 Moonstone 90

“Mayor Vucar, can I speak to you a minute?”  Vucar looked up from the half-finished cabinet to find the human Pesor at the door, tears leaking from her eyes.

This is the third time in as many weeks!

Gritting her teeth, she forced a smile and gestured for Pesor to enter.

It took nearly a nam to dry her tears and, shortly after Pesor had finally left, the human Perad burst in, already yelling at the top of her lungs.  “Do something about those corpses!  They’re everywhere!  You’re the mayor!  I can’t work for seeing them every time I got to store something in the stockpile.  Do something!”

What do you expect us to do with them?  And if they disturb you so much, why do you keep hauling body parts to the corpse piles?

It took another name to deal with her, and Perad was still muttering when she left.

Vucar reached for her chisel.

“Am I interrupting?”

Kifino stood at the door.

“What do you think?”  Vucar pointed at the partially carved boulder in the middle of the workshop.

“Oh good, you were taking a break.  We need to talk about the animal situation near the Sacred Grove…”

12 Moonstone 90

“You!”

Lotu froze, his pick suspended in the air.  Warily, he looked over his shoulder.  “Yes, Vucar?”

“I’ve had it with this mayor gig.  All day long for the last month, I’m being sobbed on, yelled at, accused of unmentionable things, and my work is suffering!  And, I get random citizens coming up to me at random times with unreasonable suggestions for ‘improvements’ that just mean more work.”

“I’m…sorry?”

“You will be!  I’m done!  Finished!  Permanently out of the office!  You can have the job back!”

“But—“

“I want some peace and quiet, can you understand that?  I want to carve!  Not talk!”

And with that, Vucar spun and stomped away.  The pick fell, striking the stone floor, but Lotu didn’t notice.  Now what do we do?

“Oh, and talk to Kifino!  He’s got some bee in his bonnet!”

15 Moonstone 90

Lotu collapsed into his chair, cradling the brimful mug of dwarven beer.  I need to mine, darn it!  The last three days had been utterly frustrating and exhausting, chasing down each and every founder or local Clan head, trying to cajole, beg, or plead for one of them, any of them, to take over the mayorship duties.

Vucar Labordrinker had made her position clear.  Rigòth Dikepage, Imic, Mooney, and most of the other local Clan heads were far too busy with the military.  And I can’t blame them.  Somehow we need to win our freedom either from the selfish King or from that idiot in Swordgangs.

Lyra was needed in the carpentry, while NCommander was busy churning out weapons, and her quality of work was improving by the week.  Prince Edzul Razorblown held a grudge against his father that would make things even more difficult if he were ever to be put in charge.  Stukos Blushoars spent all of his time fishing, and the constant traipsing back and forth would most certainly disturb the fish.  And Mebzuth Cudgelleaves absolutely refused to leave his glassworks, while Rimtar Rewardcraft & Dr. Urist were always closeted in the library.

Lotu glowered into his mug.

Lorbam is already drowning in paperwork just to keep the accounts up-to-date.  He certainly doesn’t have time to deal with anything else.  Sigun Pulledroof is run off his feet with all of the cavern creatures we’re trapping these days, and I’m not sure I trust him anyway.  After all, he did get picked by the King himself to come here.

Lotu took a deep gulping swallow of his beer.  Kivish’s brewing is too good to sacrifice.  We’d have a riot!  And then there’s the fact that he misses his wife pretty badly.  If they’re married, why did they settle in two very distant places?

And that brings me to Airith.  She’s already complaining about the time I spend in the mines, and how we almost never see each other.  She would not be okay with my taking up the mantle again, and she won’t want it either.  Not if it means dealing with the King’s envoys on a more regular basis.

“Hey, d'ye have a minute?”  Catten Slingcleaned stuck his head through the door.

“Huh, what?”  Jerked from his musings, Lotu suddenly slammed his mug onto his table.  “Just the dwarf I wanted to speak to!  Come on in!”

Catten dropped into the other chair, tossing a sheet of paper onto the desk.  “So I’ve been thinking about a possible design for—“

Lotu waved the words away.  “I have a far more important question for you.  You’ve been doing such a good job of dealing with temple- and shrine-related concerns, how would like to see your skills put to better use?”

Catten’s puzzlement was obvious.

“Vucar is stepping down from the mayorship for personal reasons, and she suggested that you might be the best replacement.”

Catten frowned.  “I don’t know how to do any of that.”

“Oh, it’s easy.  Mostly, you just have to listen to citizen comments, field complaints, accept or deny residency petitions, that sort of thing.  Oh, and ah,  meet with any diplomats that might come calling.  Akrul takes care of most of the day-to-day managing, and Lorbam keeps track of the accounts, so it really isn’t that much extra on top of your temple management duties.”

Catten remained unconvinced.  “I’m a pretty decent organizer, but I’m not much of a people person, to tell you the truth.  Can’t you do it?  You did a pretty good job before, from what I’ve heard.”

Lotu shook his head.  “My wife won’t hear of it.  Look, why don’t we try it on a trial basis?  I’ll mentor you, give you tips and advice, that sort of thing.”

“I just don’t think…”

“You’ll get a noble-quality bedroom, dining room and office.”  I can’t believe I’m resorting to this.

“I suppose I can try it.  Now, about this temple for the Barricaded Silks…”

17 Moonstone 90

There was a lively debate taking place in the library regarding different varieties and applications of bandages, whether they should be soaked in extracts or used dry, with Dr. Urist and Thruni Crossshanks, a visiting a scholar, being key participants.

“…Don’t you think?”  Thruni wrapped up a long and involved explanation on the benefits of silk versus kenaf bandages.

Dr. Urist pointed at Rimtar.  “There’s a treatise somewhere on the shelves on flasks, you know the one?”

Flasks and Other Travesties?  Yes, I remember seeing it a few days ago.”

“Bring it to us, there’s a section I need Thruni to look at.”

Rimtar hustled over to the shelves.

“While we’re waiting,” Thruni turned back to Dr. Urist.  “I have a favor to ask.”

Dr. Urist raised her eyebrows in question.

“I’ve spent quite a bit of time here during the last five years, and I really like how your library is improving by leaps and bounds.  Do you think I could stay here permanently?  I’d like to really get my teeth into some of these tomes..”

Another scholar will make my work easier.  “Of course I’ll be your sponsor.  We just need to have a word with Lotu and then with Vucar.”

The formalities were quickly dealt with, and Thruni hustled back to the library, eager to dive into the treasures on its shelves.

--------------------

18 Moonstone 90

Winter continues to advance, slowly but surely, and we continue to put things back into order.  Kifino finally caught up with Catten, well, Catten and I, really.  He wanted the surface pasture moved to a new area, away from the Sacred Grove.  He claims the animals are killing the trees.

I thought elves could get animals to do anything they wanted?

At any rate, there’s a lovely grove of fruit-bearing trees just beyond the walls, and it was easy to give the orders to wall them in.  Fortunately, I hadn’t started digging out the planned moat on that side, so I’ll have an easy job just extending it further to the west.

The new addition will serve double duty, both as a safe plant gathering area and to get the surface herd further away from the elves.

20 Moonstone 90

The slower pace has allowed creativity to flourish.

26 Moonstone 90

After running around like a madman for the past week, Stukos seems to have finally finished tearing through the stockpiles.

He’s grabbed a number of things.

27 Moonstone 90

The human Xetan stopped by the office I now share with Catten, to introduce his younger brother, Hode, to us.

As I told Catten, we can always use more military types, and the humans have acquitted themselves quite well so far.  Besides, with each monster hunter that hunts in the caverns, that’s one more dwarf that can be patrolling elsewhere.

03 Opal 90

Stukos is quite proud of his creation, and has it offered to the city to be put on display.

It’s quite well-made, though a bit spiky for my taste.

Now, where to put it?

07 Opal 90

I knew things were too quiet!

Ugh.  Sparrows fly.  Imic dispatched Mooney with both marksdwarf squads down to the top cavern entry.  They are to provide advance cover for the speardwarves & mercenaries standing guard.

08 Opal 90

Gel proved her worth as a lasher once again.  According to Mooney, just as he arrived with the first of the marksdwarves, she struck the misshapen bird’s head so hard with her whip that the skull broke and the thing’s brain was turned into porridge.

I hope it won’t be served for breakfast.

--------------------

13 Opal 90

The missive arrived by the usual method, unnoticed by any save the one it was destined for.  The dwarf opened it, having been expecting further communications for some time.  Hmm, Bomrek destroyed Swordgangs’s trade depot?  That must not have gone over particularly well.  But, it does give me an idea to further that part of the Master’s plan...

19 Opal 90

“Hey, Arstruk!”  The dwarf hailed her as their paths crossed in the tavern.  “You’re looking happier than I expected.”

“What, why?  Why shouldn’t I be happy?”  Arstruk sipped at her goblet of river spirits.

The dwarf looked puzzled.  “Well, after what that human said about the Demon of Affection and trolls…  I thought that was your home civilization, was I wrong?”

Arstruk barely heard the final words.  That joke is really getting old.  She slammed her goblet down on the nearest table.

“Where was this human?”  She bit out the words.

The dwarf warily took a step backward.  “Uh, near the trade depot, I think.”

Without another word, Arstruk charged down the Central Spire.

--------------------

21 Opal 90

Well, this was a fine kettle of fish.  But then, what else can we expect from such uncivilized creatures?  With three witnesses, there was no doubt as to the culprit.  Arstruk has been sentenced to a month of jail, and Airith has gone to survey the damage.  Once she’s cleared the debris, she’ll have to design a new one.  I suppose it was time to replace the old one in any case.  It was getting noticeably worn in places.  I’m sure she’ll make the new one much sturdier.

22 Opal 90

Another Monster Hunter.  She has no sponsors, but anyone with military experience is always welcome.

03 Obsidian 90

Work continues on the courtyard expansion, though the long walk around the existing walls to reach the construction zone is slowing things down noticeably.  Deduk keeps trying to help, but in the time it takes her to complete just one task, everyone else has already done three or four, if not more.  What am I going to do with that dwarf?

I assigned her to crafting in addition to making quires.  Maybe that will keep her out of further trouble?

07 Obsidian 90

Osp and Kara chased a whole bunch of naked mole dogs into the cavern cages.  Once Sigun trains them all, we’ll have another pack to add to our growing zoo.

17 Obsidian 90

We have caught a second female draltha, so that herd is beginning to grow nicely.  I heard Sigun muttering earlier.  Something about the overwhelming amount of work he’s had to do lately.  His sister, Momuz Swordfigures, helps him out when she can, but we really need to look into getting him an apprentice trainer.  I’ll bring it up at my next meeting with Catten Slingcleaned.

20 Obsidian 90

Another human came by the Mayor’s office today.

With each nightmare creature we vanquish, our reputation spreads further afield.  This Nithim appears to be rather more experienced than our other resident monster hunters.  For one thing, she’s an experienced tactician.

Hmm, this is promising…  I can see several immediate benefits to having her stick around. (OOC: It's unfortunate that monster hunters won't become citizens, but I can work with this...)

26 Obsidian 90

We have finished walling off our courtyard expansion.  The moat still needs work, but that is less important now that most of the walls are up.

The elves promptly started moving our above-ground animals into the new area and away from the Sacred Grove.  I suppose time will tell if this makes any difference to the tree situation.

--------------------

28 Obsidian 90

Four dwarves sat down for the end-of-season production meeting.  Lorbam came armed with a sheaf of papers, Akrul had her typical scowl and her baby, Lotu grabbed his usual chair and Catten slunk into a corner, clearly wishing he were somewhere else.

“So this is our current status.”  Lorbam placed a page from his accounts on the table.

Lotu used a finger to turn it, then choked.  “We…we’re actually producing our own fish?!”

Akrul nodded.  “Yep.  Proper motivation and the fisherdwarves finally stopped lazing about and started hauling them in.”

I don’t know what to say…  Lotu was in shock.  This might be the first year when we don’t actually need anything form the humans!

“And the legwear and earrings look good.”  Akrul continued, quite pleased with herself.  “But the carpenters need to pick up the pace.  Those blocks and crutches won’t appear overnight.”

Lotu inclined his head in guarded agreement.  “Yes, we are off to a good start this year.”  I just hope nothing more pressing comes up, as it often does in spring and summer.

Current character list:
These are determined by age.  The oldest dwarf of each Clan is assumed to be the local head, which means that immigration might change it if an older dwarf migrates in.

Spoiler: Clan A Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan B Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan C Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan D Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan E Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan F Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan G Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan H Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan I Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan J Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan K & L Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan W Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan X Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Y Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Z Civilians: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Following are updated profiles for all claimed characters in the order in which they appear on the units list:
Spoiler: Lyra (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Airith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Another (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NCommander (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MrLurkety (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Neo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spriggans (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lotu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dr. Urist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mooney (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sky (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bob (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ryukan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bearskie (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 13, 2018, 03:32:03 pm »

Vucar is pretty busy, huh. And hey, don't disrespect Sacred Dirt. Export it in pots to some gullible human instead!

...Ahahaha. Election season! All nobles out of sacred garden, last one is mayor!

I do wonder though if this will change what petitions are accepted or the like.

Moonstone

So I guess the sacred grove is now a pile of dirt indeed.

Opal

I wonder how the temple is coming along?

But that is sure easily manipulatable goblins. To the mines with him!
Hm, for future could surround the depot with less valuable buildings.

Obsidian

A tactician? Hm...I wonder if retire-unretire would have any effect?

And that's a nice quota. 56 glass instruments or figurines a month; how many workers do you have on these jobs?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 13, 2018, 03:48:36 pm »

I wonder how the temple is coming along?

The temple still has 6 stairs that need removal on the second level, and I'm not designating the bottom ones and those are done.  It's such a long walk that the miners get there, dig out ten or so tiles, then leave to fulfill a need.

A tactician? Hm...I wonder if retire-unretire would have any effect?

I don't know, I haven't explored the retire/unretire options much, given how buggy un-retiring tends to be.

And that's a nice quota. 56 glass instruments or figurines a month; how many workers do you have on these jobs?

The instruments are the only glass items in the quota, and Mebzuth (a legendary glassmaker) has one apprentice that is competent enough.  The figurines (and jewelry) are wood (cheap, easy, and renewable), and I have 4 crafting workshops of which at least 3 are always in use.  I've put all of the wooden options (figurines, toys, various jewelry, etc.) on repeat in the crafting workshops, and suspend the ones not immediately needed. This seems to provide enough of a cushion that the local dwarves can "acquire" to their heart's content, while still leaving enough for export.

- Dame de la Licorne

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36