Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 62128 times)

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)
« Reply #360 on: January 11, 2017, 11:12:19 pm »

A coffin. I must wonder if my mood was of the fey, or foretelling of times to come. Perhaps the gods wished to pardon the cursed one in the  tavern, and made him a legendary grave. Who knows. But at last, I have become legendary(?). As well as this, I have achieved my dream of creating a great work of art. No matter how I die, at least I can die happy in that knowledge.

(Spent some time trying to find my profile so I can fit my diary to his character. Could you perhaps put the profiles of the dwarfed dwarves in the OP? Also, I discovered that I'm an atheist dwarf. Don't see that too often.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 12, 2017, 01:32:05 am »

Also, I discovered that I'm an atheist dwarf. Don't see that too often.

Of the Flat-Earth Variety or Unaffiliated variety?
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 12, 2017, 09:31:02 am »

Also, I discovered that I'm an atheist dwarf. Don't see that too often.

Of the Flat-Earth Variety or Unaffiliated variety?

I've found Flat-Earthers are more religious than others, so I'm decently sure he's Unaffiliated.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 12, 2017, 11:27:35 am »

(Spent some time trying to find my profile so I can fit my diary to his character. Could you perhaps put the profiles of the dwarfed dwarves in the OP?

I'll start including seasonally updated ones at the end of each season in a spoiler, that'll be easiest.  And I'll update the deities list to include current dwarfings.

ö Yet another artifact furniture? Something you can wear would be nice.

I actually prefer furniture (more dwarves get happy thoughts), but I could have done with something other than a coffin.

ö Werevisitors, in communal tavern?
<snip>
Weren't the civilians supposed to have some sort of uniform?

The civilians are in leather.  The werevisitor was bitten by the last werebeast that attacked, and was only a guest, so he wasn't protected by anything other than his own clothes.  And then he lacked the courtesy to leave before the next full moon.

ö I'd have expected you to build a secure fishing spot, instead of securing one, but I guess either will do. And you do have another mason now.

I want to use the open section of cavern between the access point and the water for a couple of things (e.g. fishing, silk, limiting access to set up more complicated trap systems, etc.), so enclosing it is more efficient long-term.  And I can probably count on a "free" month following each semi-megabeast attack to muck around down there before risking an FB attack.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 12, 2017, 11:42:29 am »

Thought civilians had bolts, too - I recall protests over involving them in melee.

I don't think you can count on a free month - while I'm not sure of the smallest delay between FBs I've seen or noted, it surely is less than month.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 12, 2017, 01:43:48 pm »

Civilians do have bolts, but I wanted to be absolutely sure someone would be ready to deal with a sudden transformation.  As for the FBs, I don't think I've ever had less than a month between different megabeast/FB attacks (though I certainly have had them follow or presage sieges quite closely) , but I might have simply been lucky.  I'll take that into consideration.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 12, 2017, 04:16:39 pm »

Well, I can certainly recall multiple reports of multiple FBs per season. It's not something I've kept track of though, tbh.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 13, 2017, 06:08:25 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

03 Hematite 87

We are slowly, carefully, feeling our way into the bauxite cluster in the aquifer.

That limonite is critical for getting some more steel.

08 Hematite 87

With all of the grazers out of the way, it’s much easier to keep track of the animals.  I walked across the surface enclosure, admiring the fruits of our work, when I happened to glance at the caged animals.

I almost didn’t see it, but then I noticed its beady little eyes.

A KEA had found its way in again!

No wonder we had such trouble in the spring with all of those creatures attacking!  They were being called by the kea!  I instantly ordered it slaughtered, Dodòk’s orders or no.

Those dratted elves…

10 Hematite 87

The merchants have been increasingly nervous about the approaches to our trade depot, with the elves in the spring bringing particularly skittish pack animals.  We’ve now finished moving the mangled capuchin skeletons littering the approaches to the depot into a single pile, out of sight of anyone in the depot.  No need to scare the poor merchants away.

14 Hematite 87

They had better have brought fish.  Just in case, I’ve sent all of our worn clothing to the depot, with special attention to any imported clothing we can find.

15 Hematite 87

Mafol has decided to stick around.

His only useful skills are military, so I sent him to join Sky’s squad as a hammerdwarf.

25 Hematite 87

While trading with the humans, I think I discovered the culprit keeping our import numbers so high!

An “ameli”.  The elves keep bringing parts for that instrument.  First Tayldis and his friends, then repeatedly smuggling in keas, now attacking our import cap…  I need to do something about them.

I bought some cheese, and all the fish necessary to finish that section.  I also bought out their flour, so that we don’t have to give up our sand, and seventeen real anvils.  Bomrek can’t be too upset at getting 43 mini-forges if we send some useable ones along, too.

Before Trade:                                                  After Trade:

We’re still over the import cap, but that should disappear once I hand over the imported portions of this year’s quota.

28 Hematite 87

The general hubbub in the tavern ebbed and flowed as conversations segued from stories to poetry and debates heated and cooled.

One goblin, hanging out near the edge of the floor, savoring some apple cider, was struck by an odd scene.  Taking a double take, he suddenly called out, “Hey, everybody!  Listen to this!

Two thirsty dwarves, sittin’ in a tree. 
S-O-B-B-I-N-G! 
First comes thirst! 
Then comes famine! 
Then comes body in a well-made coffin!

For a moment, no one seemed to have heard.  Then suddenly, silence fell, so suddenly and completely you could have heard a seed hit the stone block floor.

“What?”

The goblin pointed toward a nearby tree, and there was a general rush as everyone tried to get a good look.

“What are they doing up there?!” Several voices cried out.

Catten and Rith were almost hoarse from calling out, but with all the revelry, no one in the tavern had been able hear them.  It was sheer luck that the goblin had been inspired to poetry by the sight.

The dwarves immediately started building a rescue bridge.

“An’ that tree’s comin’ down’s soon as our comrades’re out of’t.”  Imic informed his axedwarves, who doubled as tree fellers.

05 Malachite 87

Thank the gods, we got to them in time.  Catten promptly buried her head in a barrel, and Rith is now devouring what must be three weeks’ worth of meals.

In between bites and gulps, they re-enacted how a Kea chased them up.

The elves strike again!

14 Malachite 87

I don’t believe my eyes.  I really don’t.

How long ago did I give up arguing with Erib that corpses were just as easily butchered as a living animal?  And she’s finally decided that maybe I had a point now?  When the only thing we can get from it is bones?

12 Galena 87

The baroness consort strolled across the tavern, rubbing the tips of her fingers along the stone wall.  She came to a halt in front of Lotu’s table.

“I like what you’ve done to the place.  I’m interested in helping out.”

Lotu pursed his lips, shifting them from side to side as he thought.  “You realize you won’t get anything better than what you have now for the foreseeable future?  Between the defenses and the other projects we have going right now, there are no free hands to add more.”

Rith nodded.  “Yes, I get it.  I have been watching you slave away for over two years, after all.”

Lotu shrugged.  “Then stay.  But you’ll need to do your fair share of the work from here on out.”

13 Galena 87

Since Rith is a fisherdwarf of some experience, I’ve sent her down to the cavern lake to show those humans a thing a two.

14 Galena 87

Rith’s petition was quickly followed by one of our resident humans.

Towhat’s only useful skill is crossbow use, so he’s been sent to join the Pillars of Ink.

21 Galena 87

Uvash’s uncle Limul has asked for permission to stay.  He mentioned wanting to relax after his many travels, and that this seemed like a nice place to do it.

These travelers really seem to have some odd ideas of what a ‘nice place’ is…but he is Uvash’s uncle.  I figured that was enough reason to find a bed for him.

26 Galena 87

They immediately moved in to Lorbam's quarters in the Clan G enclave.

28 Galena 87

This time the yelling was about the toy anvils.

More specifically, that no one seemed to want to make them.  Well, we'll have everything else…Bomrek will just have to make do.

On a more positive note, we are making progress with the limonite vein.

Current character list:
Spoiler: Training in Moonstone: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Training in Opal: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Training in Obsidian: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Following are updated profiles for all claimed characters in the order in which they appear on the units list:
Spoiler: Lyra 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lyra 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Airith 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Airith 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Another 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Another 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NCommander 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NCommander 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spriggans 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spriggans 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dr. Urist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lotu 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lotu 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mooney 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mooney 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Imic 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sky 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sky 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bob (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ryukan 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ryukan 2 (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 14, 2017, 01:17:07 am »

Carefully smoothing through the aquifer. Exciting work! There's at least some drainage...

Twisted fabric ameli strings? Divine!

And useless, sadly. But still.

Odd trees - ah. The trunks just block the walking out onto the palisade.

I take it you don't use herbalism much?

The citizenships are finally paying off, now...

Their clothes must be worn, and they want new pairs.

Not just limonite - I think I spy some probable sapphires or indigo tourmalines in that bauxite cluster.

Not that there is a jeweler, but neat for moods.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 14, 2017, 10:47:22 pm »

02 Limestone 87

Mafol has already earned his keep.  On duty at the cavern access, he swiftly dispatched a curious troglodyte that ventured too close.
03 Limestone 87

He’s now sorting through his many bolts of cloth, muttering all the while.

07 Limestone 87

Another resident wants citizenship rights.

It turns out, she grew up on a dairy farm.  I’ve put her in charge of milking our various herd animals.  She’ll probably end up taking over the cheese-making duties, too.  The variety will make some people happy.

09 Limestone 87

Time to drop everything again.

11 Limestone 87

Echoworked insisted on getting our meeting out of the way early this year.  Unfortunately, Bomrek continues to retain control of Swordgangs.

I ordered some more ewes, since I didn’t buy any last year and that ram isn’t getting any younger.  I also ordered steel, as usual.

Bomrek has gained another 2 dwarves, somehow, for a current total of 62.  So these are the numbers I need to hand over to Akrul:

Well, other than the anvils, this should be straightforward enough.  Especially since we’ve started getting fish out of the caverns.  But Bomrek always has to include just one thing.

Echoworked was also pleased to see how our menagerie continues to grow.

So overall, he’ll give a positive report, allowing us to continue in our slavery.

13 Limestone 87

Amidst all the work, Sodel is visibly absent, shut away in his clothier’s.

He could have picked a better time for this.  But, whatever he’s making, it’s going to have a lot of decorations.

17 Limestone 87

The dwarf’s hands shook as he read the short, abrupt missive for the fourth time.

This is a masterfully-crafted sheet of gremlin parchment.  It is decorated with hanging rings of elf tooth.  There is neither greeting, nor signature.

You were sent with a single purpose.  A task you have so far failed to complete.  Not only are all the targets still breathing, despite your numerous plans, but they have produced more targets to deal with.  If proof of your continued service fails to materialize before the end of the year, you will be dealt with as your treachery requires.  Kill.  Them.  Or you, and all you hold dear, will suffer the consequences.

Crumpling the sheet in a fist, the dwarf stared morosely across the courtyard.  Below, he could see the other villagers, dwarven and human, busily racing to get the quota delivered to the caravan in time.  But up here, in the stillness of the trees, he was apart.  As he always was, whether they knew it or not.

Yet over the months, beginning to stretch into years, the unthinkable had happened.  He, who had always stood apart, ever since the dawn of time, when the Master had recruited him, had somehow made friends.

And lately, though he raged against the unfairness of the gods as each plan failed, a part of him was relieved that none had died by his actions.

But the letter changed all that.  Now his mind raced as he futilely sought a way of pacifying the Master while not harming any of those he grown close to.

18 Limestone 87

An artifact what?

While it is impressive, I don’t think this would be very comfortable to wear.

And a hill titan also lives around here?  Let me guess.  It’s going to come calling sooner or later.  Great.  We need to get those stone walls up sooner rather than later.

21 Limestone 87

Idla is petitioning to regularize his position. 

Just in time to haul!  I put him straight to work.  And he’s a lasher, with no other useful skills.  So he’ll join the fisher crew when this is over.

22 Limestone 87

I need to fortify myself before dealing with those thieves traders again.

02 Sandstone 87

In exchange for the quota, I bought some more rams, and the sows they had brought.  Then I finished maxing out our import cap with their steel bars and all of the meltable steel items I could.

Before Trade:                                                   After Trade:

While I was sorting through things, I noticed several anvils.  After much persuading and negotiating with Atîs Lashedround, the lead merchant, I was able to work out a deal.  We bought their anvils, and then gave them right back as part of the quota.  We still won’t have the numbers Bomrek wants, but we won’t be as badly short as we would have been.
OOC: I have discovered that it is impossible to specify the type of toy.

03 Sandstone 87

We’ve caught a giant cave swallow in the cavern traps.  The last I saw, Sigun was headed down to train it.  Yes!  Soon we'll have progress!

10 Sandstone 87

The merchants have left, with an almost fully complete quota.

I'll pray that Bomrek is in a reasonable mood.

11 Sandstone 87

Akrul summoned all adults to a meeting in the tavern.  Once everyone had been supplied with a mug of their preferred form of inebriation, she launched into her speech tirade regarding the incomplete quota.

“This is completely unacceptable!”  She finally started to wind down.  “We have everything necessary on-site, yet you have failed miserably!”

The dwarves grumbled at this.  None of them liked how the fruits of their labors kept getting carted away by royal command.

“I will not allow this to happen again.  Here are the following assignments.  Catten, you’re on crossbow duty.  We need 130 of them to be on the safe side.  You’ll make them out of bone, since we have so much of it.”

“That bone’s fer bolts!” Rith cried out.

Akrul immediately shook her head.  “Nope.  Ammo’s not on the list, you’re going to make horn crowns this year, and the other crafters will make up the deficit with wood.  Lyra and Uvash.  You’ll be making shields.  And absolutely NO beds, bins, barrels, or anything else until the shields are done.  We need 230 of them.”

There was more grumbling, but at least all of the citizens had their own beds now.  The visitors and residents could hot-bunk for a few months.

Akrul moved on.  “All iron will be used to make the 124 anvils we need.”

Lorbam protested. “We don’t have the bars for that!  And we’ve already scoured the place for every single iron item we could melt to convert to steel.  The most we can make is 42 anvils.”

Akrul stared him down for minute, then shrugged.  “Fine.  42 anvils to start.  Lotu and Ingish, you’re in charge of mining out all visible limonite veins to get more iron.  All other digging projects are on hold until that's done.”

Lotu’s mouth opened and closed several times, but no sound came out.  No one had spoken to him like that since he left Theaterknowledge to come north, and he had almost forgotten how it felt.  By the time he figured out what he wanted to say, Akrul had already moved on.  We’ll dig out some of the limonite, but at our own pace.  I’ve got some other digging projects that need to get done too, you know.  And they’re much more important than Bomrek’s foibles.

He shifted his attention back to Akrul in time to hear her say, “Fine, Mebzuth and the woodcrafters will make toy versions to mitigate the shortfall.  But, all iron MUST be used for anvils before any more can be converted to steel.  Steel production is to stop, you understand?  Stop until I, myself, say otherwise.”  As she spoke, she jabbed her thumb into her sternum in emphasis.

She steamrolled on with her job allocations.  “Mestthos, you’ll be in charge of iron production, and you’ll also take over the actual forging of the anvils.  Olon, you’ll make quivers.  We have plenty of leather for that.”

Olon scowled.  Yeah, with none left over for us!

“Rith and the human fishery workers will provide the fish.  And Spriggans?  Keep burning.  The rest of you are on hauling duty.  Any questions?  Good.  Dismissed!”

The last word came out with a sharpness worthy of Imic in full-out drill sergeant mode.  The civilians scrambled out, eager to find someplace far away where they could vent about the newest restrictions and labor assignments.

13 Sandstone 87

A human pikeman is petitioning to stay.

Not only do mercenary petitions never get around to working, what would we do with a pikeman?  He’d drink all our booze and laze around all day while the rest of us bust our butts.  Absolutely not.  We have enough of those already.

I told him to go away.

14 Sandstone 87

I really hate to leave projects half-finished, and I came up with a way to get Akrul to let us finish this one.  I simply pointed out that the quota is demanding a lot of wood, and we have a large number of logs tied up in the palisade.  Completing the current stone wall project would allow us to recycle those logs.  She hemmed and hawed a bit, but gave me the go-ahead.

19 Sandstone 87

The dwarf carried the newest load of paper into the library corner, placing it carefully on an empty shelf.

For once the corner was empty, save for some of the soldiers sparring on the other side of the room.  Keeping one eye on them, the dwarf swiftly rifled through Dr. Urist’s notes.  Finding a promising set of notations, he grabbed one of the blank sheets of paper and made a quick copy.  Unobtrusively walking down the nearest ramp, he moved quickly to an abandoned section of the mines to peruse his discovery in peace.

21 Sandstone 87

I’ve finished the first corner of the new moat.  With an overhanging floor on the rampart level, I think this design will be climbing-proof.  Now all we have to do is dig out the rest and floor it to keep trees from growing and ruining the defensive depth.

You.  Elf.  I’m looking right at you.

24 Sandstone 87

Dr. Urist wants more shelf space.  And writing desks.  And storage space.  And room for active experiments.  And…

Her list is never-ending.

Since a lot of the scholars are visitors, we’ll build her a new library as the topmost floors in the lookout tower.  That way, all visitors will be grouped into one place and easily manageable.

26 Sandstone 87

As soon as word got around about the next project after defense improvements, I started getting a steady stream of folks “just dropping by”.  They all wanted to impress on me how much they wanted some more reading material in the library.

Well, they’ll get shelf and writing space, but anything more will need to be copied from things visitors bring.  Wait, that requires a dedicated scribe?

Great, something else I need to find someone to do.  Why can’t any of the scholars ever decide to stick around?

03 Timber 87

We’re continuing to hollow out the safe zone in the aquifer.

I’ve been thinking about how to use the space when we finally finish.  It doesn’t really seem suitable for temple, since none of our deities involve water, and the human and elven ones seem to be focused on rivers instead of aquifers.

I think I’m going to turn it into a graveyard for our visitors.  Several of them have died over the past several years and their corpses are cluttering up the pile.  Most of us are inured to it, but still.  We should show some respect for the dead.  OOC: This is partly driven by a desire to try and get the personality screens to fit in a single screenshot, by getting some of the corpses out of sight.

18 Timber 87

A second quadrant of land is almost completely enclosed, and as I promised Akrul, we’re salvaging the wood from the palisade for conversion into quota items.  There’s something about stone that is so much more reassuring than wood.  It feels much more solid and permanent, somehow.

21 Timber 87

A new Clan has been Founded.

They’re calling it Clan W for now.  Maybe this will make Dr. Urist stop complaining about being away from family?

28 Timber 87

For now, Akrul is happy.

Current character list:
Spoiler: Training in Moonstone: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Training in Opal: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Training in Obsidian: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Following are updated profiles for all claimed characters in the order in which they appear on the units list:
Spoiler: Lyra 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lyra 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Imic 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sky 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sky 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Airith 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Airith 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Another 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Another 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NCommander 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NCommander 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mooney 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mooney 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spriggans 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spriggans 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dr. Urist 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dr. Urist 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lotu 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lotu 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bob 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bob 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ryukan 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ryukan 2 (click to show/hide)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 15, 2017, 01:58:14 pm »

Late Autumn, Swordgangs

Lashedround guided the lead wagon down the rough-cut pathway to the entrance far below.  Other than the smoothed and engraved entrance, there were few external signs that anyone lived here.  Once underground, things changed.  Several dwarves were in the process of engraving the smoothed floor, and the walls were already covered in depictions of the king, spears, and cheese.  The depot itself was well-built, out of clear glass, in a large, domed room. 

Lashedround looked around in approval.  Such a difference from Finderbaords.  How can dwarves bear to live on the surface like that?

Bringing the wagon to a precise stop in a corner of the depot, he jumped lightly down to supervise the arrival and unloading of the caravan.

“Ah!  You’re the lead trader this year?”  The voice coincided with the last round of cheese being set out.

Lashedround turned to see a slight dwarf with an almost manic cast to his expression.  He nodded in response, and greeting.

“I’m Meng Baldarrow.  I have the pleasure of assisting Bomrek with running this place.  I assume that’s the quota?”

Lashedround nodded, and waved him forward.  “That’s everything Finderboards gave us to load.  Feel free to take a look.”

Withdrawing a tablet, Meng waded in.  Several hours later, he studied the numbers and grimaced.  He looked up at Lashedround.  “Ignore any raging beasts you might hear.  He’s really quite harmless when he’s calm and drunk.”  With that parting shot, Meng moved away, but Lashedround still heard the final mutter, “On the admittedly rare occasions when that’s the case.”

Meng’s report caused the expected reaction.  “How’re we supposed t’make spears without anvils!  That little slime Lotu!  He always skimps on the one thing we really need each year!”

“But he did complete the last two quotas.  Maybe he simply didn’t have time to get all the iron necessary?”

“Twaddle!  He had a year to dig it out!  It’s simply that he’s selfish, greedy, and lazy!”

You know, that description could easily match someone in this room.  Meng thought, looking around at the fully-engraved walls and floor, and the masterfully-crafted furniture, which was decorated with cut clay loam and cut green glass.

“Listen, Bomrek.  You just sent an order for another 124 anvils from them.  If I send a courier to Finderboards to tell them to add the missing 29 anvils to the total,” since mini-forges are useless, “perhaps we needn’t importune King Dodók with this at all.  And if they fail the quota again next year, we can always show that we tried to be reasonable and understanding.”

Bomrek was nodding.  “Yes!  Which Finderboards clearly isn’t, with their childish refusals to fulfill perfectly sensible requests.  Send that letter!”

Meng inclined his head and departed.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 15, 2017, 03:15:20 pm »

It seems that as soon as Finderboards starts growing, so starts Bomrek. Well, something to keep you on your toes!

At certain point, just 1 really good craftsman won't be enough for any quota task.

Straightforward? Well, with imported leather I suppose so. Though it includes crossbows and quivers and shields, it is still less military than some of the past requests, too.

Suggesting Bomrek's melee squads are complete.

Perhaps few insurances in case those come to pay a hostile visit to Finderboards would be useful. They have had longer to prepare, with support provided by yourself, and might be quite a threat.

*reads on*

Oh, it seems miners are already at work for that.

Not sure why Sodel being absent is good, but that's seems like a winter wear.

...Those are winter clothes? -Yu

Hydra...And aren't most of your dwarves axe-wielding...Hm, I guess you did have some spearmen.

Well, good luck. Hope the titan isn't webber or firebreather.

Huh, didn't know that about toys. And that's an interesting deal - though ultimately futile, with the anvil requests for next year too.

The challenge you undertook...Well, it's impressive how true a challenge it is - winnable  sometimes, but still a difficulty.

I might consider it myself, someday. It'd be interesting and teach about labor durations, though the behaviours it'd teach would be more suitable to successions.

Hm. Stopping steel production?

Well, it only trains furnace operation when it comes to this, I suppose....

But oh, must that grate. It's only natural that failures would be attempted to be fixed, but still!

Good job narrating there, helps set the atmosphere.

About dedication of scribes: They'll only be dedicated as long as it takes for them to copy the scrolls up to required numbers (though beware of things getting perpetually TSKed - forbid/unpause/unforbid if that happens), After that, they should work just like normal.

Looking at that safe zone must smart. Oh, would it have been easier to dig down there!

...Would it? I don't know. But still, at the very least it is useful now.

Oh, and useful thing: Vanilla autodigging of minerals will keep digging right to the edge of water, without cancellation spam or any danger. Useful for your situation, though somewhat annoying under the ocean.

Perhaps install one door or pre-dig drainage in case you dig out a wrong square by hand? Well, something to consider.

As for the dead...They're the ones you can afford to show most respect to, and the ones who need it the least. But this resting place is quite dwarven, nonetheless.

I see your new stone design includes some fortificaitions for the marksdwarves? A neat idea.

Well, at the very least it stands out from the wooden jungle. Though beware of caveins from deconstructing too much :P

Hm, seems Swordgangs is traditional dwarven fortress. Who needs sky anyway?

Though worldgen forts do have grander visitor welcome room than I usually brother to make. Hm.

Ahahaha. Lovely little interlude, got a laugh out of me. The situation is really quite something :)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 15, 2017, 03:55:52 pm »

...Those are winter clothes? -Yu

More like "tropical desert wear."

The challenge you undertook...Well, it's impressive how true a challenge it is - winnable  sometimes, but still a difficulty.

I was actually expecting it to start getting easier by now.  But 124 anvils? 

I see now why Toady programmed our import requests to bring 1, 2, 3, or 4 instead.  Players being the way we are, we could very easily pull a Bomrek as a matter of course, without realizing how much dwarven work goes into these things. 

Oh, would it have been easier to dig down there!

Actually, though it took far longer, I prefer digging down through wet stone (though I usually have 2/3 miners to do it, with equivalent numbers of architect/masons in support), because now anytime I need water near the surface, I have a ready supply whenever I happen to deblock a section of wall.  I designed the outer ring layout of the lowest cobaltite level with that in mind.

Though beware of caveins from deconstructing too much :P

I'm always paranoid about deconstructing things now.  Comes from accidentally killing my legendary armorsmith shortly after wall building/removing was added.

- Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:59:43 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 15, 2017, 07:08:19 pm »

Just Posting to Watch, if that's ok.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 15, 2017, 07:11:30 pm »

Sure!  :)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36