Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 189372 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1170 on: February 06, 2017, 11:07:50 am »

BBC(?) analysis of the results, if you're interested.
Saw that earlier. Pretty much says what has previously been said in less fine-grained polling.

Just going to upset everyone, I think. I wouldn't say that its untrue that low education matches well with Leave, but that's just anecdotal for my experience. And, anyway, it's low achievement (perhaps because of lack of enablement) not low intelligence. (Ironically, those that European funds end up going to more than national ones, for various intertwined factors.)

Right this moment, I happen to be sitting looking at soa prime location to act as an analogy of my own views, but I can't be bothered to extemporise. It seems the Elites of the current flavour are stiffing the People of all kinds, in the name of the People who thought (or at least were told) they were getting rid of any such system of Elites. Sorry,  a bit morose, but it feels like its about to rain, so I'll set off home shortly and have a more considered opinion than that which I've been pondering about most of the day...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 06, 2017, 01:21:45 pm »

UK(IP)/German split already in progress..?

(Yeah, it's tittle-tattle, but I thought the mood needed lightening up a bit, after the above. Ah, Covenant, you just saved me from doubleposting...)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 06, 2017, 01:34:48 pm »

So the Brexit is really just a personal divorce vendetta by Farage, hoping to get his wife deported?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 06, 2017, 01:59:16 pm »

It was my understanding that Charles was to be passed over, and prince Harry(?) was to be coronated instead upon the queen's passing.

All I know is that the Queen is basically the only thing keeping the Royal Family afloat right now in the public eye.

Given that to my knowledge, and I may be wrong, NO ONE likes Prince Charles or Prince Harry... and find them both to be twats.

Unlike the Queen who is famous for charming the pants off of even the most stone hearted royalty haters.

Ohh Prince William? Well... hmmm... ok he has a bit better of a chance... Though... Still... not looking good.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:03:11 pm by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 06, 2017, 05:00:19 pm »

BBC identifies the main factor in Brexit vote: level of education.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Even BBC agrees - smart people vote "Remain" /shots_fired
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: February 06, 2017, 05:04:29 pm »

You could also argue that it is proof that education makes you more ignorant. /moreshots
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: February 06, 2017, 05:08:16 pm »

You could also argue that it is proof that education makes you more ignorant. /moreshots

Or that the people who voted Leave were more in favor of the Status Quo being maintained than anything else... and even when changes didn't occur because of the EU or would have happened anyway, it was blamed on the EU.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 06, 2017, 05:15:09 pm »

Its worth considering that blue-collar workers, the sort who generally voted to Leave and were the main target for and low-level support behind the Leave campaign, generally didn't get a degree to do them.

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 06, 2017, 05:57:45 pm »

Though one reason I sort of hate demographics in this sense is that it is easy to just boil down either side as not having a leg to stand on.

Sure... the people who are typically in favor of the Status Quo did vote Leave... But that doesn't mean leave didn't have merit, nor does that mean that remain had merit.

I am still a Remain guy and while I didn't like the Brexit politics ("Multiculturalism gone wrong!" -_-), I shouldn't judge the people by the advocates.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 06, 2017, 06:00:25 pm »

The problem with that thinking is that the status quo was being in the EU.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 06, 2017, 06:02:44 pm »

The problem with that thinking is that the status quo was being in the EU.

It was certainly a long time, but I don't think it ever became the established status quo.

At least the narrative was that the EU was an imposition... Rather then "The UK can do much better, lets break away".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 06, 2017, 06:09:22 pm »

Literally my entire life :P and beyond!

There was a fairly constant waxing and waning of euroscepticism in the conservative party, but I don't think leaving the EU was ever truly considered possible until the morning after the night before.

Even Farage said on the night that "Remain might just nick it".
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 06, 2017, 06:16:24 pm »

I was definitely (multiple people accused me of it) tended towards being in favour of Remain because I just boringly didn't want the uncertainty (which, you'll note, we currently have) and the thick fog (still looming) obscuring various in determined nate dangers.  "Yay, let's shake things up by maintaining the status quo!" only half fits the Leavers' attitude, you know.

The problem with the Remain message was that "our plan is to entrench ourselves in our hard-fought position on the edge of Europe" seemed too unexciting, and there are just too many nihilists in the world as well.  As can be seen elsewhere in the world.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1183 on: February 06, 2017, 08:01:02 pm »

All I know is that the Queen is basically the only thing keeping the Royal Family afloat right now in the public eye.
Given that to my knowledge, and I may be wrong, NO ONE likes Prince Charles or Prince Harry... and find them both to be twats.
Unlike the Queen who is famous for charming the pants off of even the most stone hearted royalty haters.
Ohh Prince William? Well... hmmm... ok he has a bit better of a chance... Though... Still... not looking good.
What are you smoking mate

This is why people want you to post sources for such statements because they're honestly confusing at times. Where did you get the idea that the UK thinks Charles and Harry are complete twats, it's the exact opposite and FFS Harry is the only royal more popular than the Queen
Can you post a single thing, anything? It is so much harder to prove a negative wrong than for you to prove your argument true. Ditto for William, if people listened to you they'd think the UK is one step away from dragging out the guillotines o_O

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 06, 2017, 08:47:43 pm »

Oi is someone talking shit about Harry in the Brit thread? He's the best royal after Her Maj, and she wins automatically for being the queen.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 126