Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 188975 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2016, 11:16:58 pm »

I think it means more do stuff like extra taxes or something along those lines, not straight up hostage taking.
And something like extra taxes happens all the time, not going to be declaring war on anyone.
Magma is overrated.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2016, 11:19:05 pm »

I think it means more do stuff like extra taxes or something along those lines, not straight up hostage taking.
And something like extra taxes happens all the time, not going to be declaring war on anyone.

Not a literal war... But "We will make life difficult for all UN nationalists in our country for no other reason then as a threat" is malicious.

I swear if the UK adopts this I will have NO sympathy for whatever the EU decides to do. Luckily I don't think that is gonna happen, it would be silly.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2016, 11:25:35 pm »

I dunno man....the way the line was delivered by Lord Cockmonger of Tuppence-on-Git made me think hostage situation.

Scottish Parliament votes 92 to 0 to give Scot Govt a mandate to do all it can to keep Scotland in the EU.

wew m8
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:30:15 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2016, 11:38:18 pm »

This is literally the exact way that England lost the 13 colonies.  It pissed people off so much that it was one of the few civil rights that made it into the main body of the constitution instead of being contained in the bill of rights.  Just start doing post-facto bills of attainder to punish anyone you dont like.  Marvel at how quickly Scotland can be independent and Ireland can be unified.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2016, 12:21:53 am »

At this stage its EU which wanted UK out, They might be a net contributor but its a direct consequence of their existence in the common market.

I would even say that Germany will now actually working towards driving UK out of the common market so they can move London to Frankfurt.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2016, 12:34:12 am »

Critter's saying that if the EU starts playing hardball with the UK nationals in the EU, the UK would be in the stronger position if they hold the EU citizens in the UK hostage/retaliate against said civilians.

Or in other words, straight up declare war on the EU and probably most of the rest of the developed world. The brain dead thing apparently thinks the UK would be the one holding the advantage there.

Well... that is... evil.
Its called retaliation, if the EU does it to the UK citizens in the EU first.  Its not saying the UK will be the first to shit on EU citizens, but rather saying that UK could do the same if it comes to it.

Unless you are saying that the EU is in the wrong for doing it first, then its fine.
(Didn't watch video, just from what is said in quote.))

This whole shenanigan seems pretty salty.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2016, 01:02:03 am »

The way I see it...

the UK is moving out of the house and goes to the UE and goes "I am leaving and taking all my stuff with me! I have a better house where I am king!"
So the UE goes: "Fine, get out!"
And the UK goes: "What? aren't you going to cook me dinner first?"
UE: "You're already leaving, why do I have to cook you dinner?"
UK then goes: "Because your daughter is also living with me... and if you don't cook me dinner I'll raise her rent. Ohh and I'll need some meals for my new house too"

Well ok the UK isn't saying that... Critter is.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:10:10 am by Neonivek »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2016, 01:22:24 am »

The situation with foreign residents is a little complicated.

Pretty much all politicians have declared they can remain if they are already here, and it is even questionable under international law if they can be kicked out. In principle revoking a treaty doesn't remove the residency rights someone gained under that treaty.

That probably won't make some of the 'we voted leave, now get out' crowd happy, but it is what it is.

The problems are more to do with healthcare and pensions. A huge swathe of the British expatiates in Spain and France are retired and so depend heavily on the deals that were struck through the EU. In particular those who retire to countries within the common market see their pensions pegged to local inflation/wage increases. Outside the common market your pension is frozen at the level it was when you retired. Combine that with the possibility of nations choosing to charge healthcare costs out of pocket rather than through the NHS payment schemes set up and you could see a lot of pensioners with growing costs and shrinking (in real terms) income.

The only realistic retaliation in that scenario would be denying EU nationals in the UK benefits or access to the NHS, which could be tricky to justify legally if they are tax payers.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2016, 01:24:27 am »

Critter's saying that if the EU starts playing hardball with the UK nationals in the EU, the UK would be in the stronger position if they hold the EU citizens in the UK hostage/retaliate against said civilians.
Let me try again.

That there highlight is pretty significant.  Its not a one lane road to hell.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2016, 02:00:39 am »

Scottish Parliament votes 92 to 0 to give Scot Govt a mandate to do all it can to keep Scotland in the EU.

wew m8

I believe the Tories abstained.

There's quite a hubbub at the moment about Mariano Rajoy's emphatic denouncement of the idea of Scotland negotiating with the EU - saying that we're a part of the UK and we should be treated as such. Francois Hollande is saying the same thing. Juncker on the other hand is saying "Scotland has won the right to be listened to" or something.

I am not surprised that the Usual Suspects are coming out in force to discourage treating Scotland like a country in any way, but I am not so sure Unionists should be celebrating these snubbings as they are. To be told "You can't get negotiate unless you're independent" kills their hopes of staying in the EU as a part of the UK, like a reverse-Denmark/Greenland scenario. I have also read that claims of a potential Spanish veto on Scottish EU membership would kill Spain's arguments against Catalan sovereignty; they argue the issue is purely constitutional, because under Spanish law a province can only become independent if all regions vote on it, hence their support of the Serbian position in Kosovo.

If however they attempted to block Scottish membership of the EU in a situation where we have constitutionally become independent i.e. through democratic referendum, they will show that they are actually not constitutionalists, rather they are opposed to national self determination and then the Catalans can take their challenge to an international court.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:10:01 am by Owlbread »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2016, 04:25:29 am »

JP Morgan's base case for Brexit. Looks like it was leaked by a journalist, so have a mirror in case.

There are still wildcards there, but this seems a plausible path to me. Not a nice one, but plausible.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2016, 05:54:33 am »

I'd like to add to this debate with the words of "We accidentally the economy. Soz."
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2016, 06:01:30 am »

BoJo not running for Conservative leader/Prime Minister.

Now it looks like Gove vs May vs Crab.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2016, 06:08:21 am »

BoJo not running for Conservative leader/Prime Minister.

Oh no. I was really looking forward to the political cartoons of Boris VS Stalin Putin.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2016, 06:12:04 am »

Let me try again.

That there highlight is pretty significant.  Its not a one lane road to hell.
D... do I really have to explain why trying to play chicken with three million lives against an entity that's roughly ten times your size in population and near that in gdp is a bad idea? How that body of civilians would not be something that puts them in a stronger position,  but a yoke around their neck the UK would have to handle with kids gloves or be driven into the ground by likely considerably more than just the EU?

The problem is not just that it's a morally repugnant suggestion. It's also that it would so massively, incredibly stupid that it's somewhat amazing the person that made it is not literally clinically brain dead, somehow managing to unintentionally spasm in such a way to produce the sounds we heard. Those are not the words of someone describing a two way road to hell. Those are the words of someone whose ability to consider political repercussions could be accurately described as, completely non-metaphorically, suicidal.

E: Credit to the... house of lords, I think? That this was one guy and he was basically booed off stage. Probably shouldn't downplay it, that colossal dumbfuck was more or less singular, and probably shouldn't be a indictment against the rest of the UK body political (well, except maybe against UKIP both for letting the critter talk and having 'em be one of their representatives to begin with). But holy bloody hell.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:11:15 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 126