Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 188960 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1755 on: June 04, 2017, 10:11:13 am »

Also, we can't do anything about the past (as much as people like to strawman, "if X's parent's hadn't immigrated here, then Y wouldn't happen" (it'd just be someone else who ends up doing it)), but we can do something about the right now.

I'll just respond to this with my response to when you said this exact thing the last time.

How can you talk about fallacies with a straight face when you are making the argument that if this man would not have lived in the UK some other, completely unknowable, person, through completely unknowable means, would have just "done it instead". This is some shitty arse predeterminist logic you've got there. That kind of nonsense appeal-to-alternative-universes reasoning works great for all kinds of things. "If we had prevented him from owning a gun, somebody else would have accidently shot his kid while playing with it!" "If we hadn't built this pipeline without giving a damn about environmental concerns causing the destruction of this Indian holy ground and leaks into the drinking water, someosomeone else would have!" "If we hadn't released all these greenhouse gases and polluted the atmosphere, someone else just would have! Who? I dont know! Where? I don't know! Why? I don't know! When? I don't know! I don't know.That's the beauty of it, see, I don't have to know. I just have to say it would have happened anyway!"

I missed that response last time, honest, and I see your point.

Apparently some terrorists have decided to kill 26 people each day in London until they deal with air pollution:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/15/nearly-9500-people-die-each-year-in-london-because-of-air-pollution-study

(Is this mic on? Can we solve other problems by pretending terrorists did it and spending billions accordingly?)

But seriously, they're doing it for the attention; they aren't going to kill us all, they won't even be more deadly or disruptive than the rest of everyday life. Terrorism only feeds on stupid overreactions, so quit feeding it and move on with life. The only thing that will endanger you are the idiots who have decided to go along with their fear game, pretending they are enemies of the terrorists in a show of pointless bravado that simply feeds a cycle of hatred.

Please don't pretend that there is any kind of "us" in relation to terrorism in Europe that includes upperclass Americans in Texas.

The article is about pollution killing people in London, not some group claiming 26 people will die a day until air pollution is fixed.

And not sure where upperclass Americans in/from Texas come into this, unless maybe you mean George W. Bush?

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: June 04, 2017, 10:21:25 am »

By the looks of it, he's trying to shut the conversation down on the basis that you aren't European.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: June 04, 2017, 10:27:09 am »

It describes alway.

And the article is irrelevant, alway's point is that we shouldn't care that people are actively attacking and murdering us because we also damage ourselves through passive means.

By the looks of it, he's trying to shut the conversation down on the basis that you aren't European.

To be exact, I am trying to criticise alway's use of "us" applied to an argument that Brits shouldn't care about Brits being murdered (because "they won't kill all of us") when he is neither a Brit nor in the same boat as Europeans in general.
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: June 04, 2017, 10:31:40 am »

I think it's safe to say that they formed their ideology because of a large Muslim peer group throughout their life toting violent tenets. They may as well not have been converts in that regard. It's a cultural and religious mix quite potent when concentrated. I don't know how many rural terrorists there are, but I'd assume it's so insignificant a number to be practically zero.
You seem to be making assumptions and speculating rather than making informed arguments. The Westminster attacker grew up in Rye and Tunbridge Wells, and only converted to Islam after a string of violent crimes.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: June 04, 2017, 11:05:09 am »

How come the converts always seem to be violent?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: June 04, 2017, 11:06:19 am »

Converts are always the most fanatical. They tend to feel they have something to prove
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: June 04, 2017, 11:06:48 am »

Because their the only ones you hear about.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: June 04, 2017, 11:09:08 am »

Because "Bob converts to Islam, still local bowling champion" makes for boring headlines.

Edit: If the question is "why do they seem to be more likely than born muslims to get recruited by ISIS", well, it's important to note that most of the Muslims that are recruited tends to be relatively unreligious and not intergrated in religious lives (Mosques, muslims charities, etc). Jut like your gut bacteria protect you from diarrea by taking up the space, religious life protect you from Takfiri. Converts for rather obvious reasons lack this to a greater degree than born muslims.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:12:38 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: June 04, 2017, 12:42:59 pm »

In those cases I think it's more that they converted because the violent ideology of Islamist extremism appealed to them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: June 04, 2017, 01:49:07 pm »

In what is definetly going to be compared to America, British police are saying that they fired an unprecedented 50 shots to down three attackers. Come on, 50? I'm not impressed, there are cases of officers firing more than twice that to down one person in the US.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: June 04, 2017, 01:52:24 pm »

While likely more stereotype than truth, British police have a reputation of superior integrity and restraint compared to their US counterparts. For many years, they refused to carry firearms at all, I understand.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: June 04, 2017, 01:57:52 pm »

European police are generally more restrained compared to their US counterparts, that's certainly true.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: June 04, 2017, 03:36:05 pm »

The end goal is not terrorising people. Terrorising people is the goal of the method.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: June 04, 2017, 03:39:08 pm »

The end goal of terrorism is to effect a societal change.

In that respect, Terrorism has been profoundly effective in the first half of this century. I am deeply disturbed to have borne witness to my own country going stark raving mad (or perhaps, just deeper into insanity?) since september 11. I made the comment then, and I will say it again now-- going bonkers over terrorism is how the terrorists win.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: June 04, 2017, 08:24:09 pm »

There's a little bit of information out from one of the neighbors in the apartment complex that one of the suspects lived in (don't know if all of them lived in the same complex). It seems that one of them may be Pakistani (I don't recall Pakistan being on the banned countries list) and two years ago, was converting or trying to convert kids in the park during Ramadan, plus giving money and sweets to them either in the park or when he came around to their houses, which... comes off as a bit odd and maybe creepy.

The police have acknowledged the claims, but haven't made any comments on it. They've definetly got the information locked down this time.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 126