Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 189000 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1710 on: June 03, 2017, 07:23:52 am »

Yeah it's almost as if politicians have a different agenda in the EU regardless of what their people think and that the EU works against people's ability to democratically self-determinate.
When folks are gullible or willfully uninformed enough for that trick to work, they deserve to be duped, really. It's not like there's some secret mystic wisdom being kept away from The People (tm) here.

Yeah there's definitely no deliberate obfuscation going on in the EU, that's why opacity is a cornerstone - oh wait it isn't.

I'm having trouble parsing that sentece. Are you complaining that opacity isn't a cornerstone of the EU? :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: June 03, 2017, 07:59:55 am »

Meh, my mind had a somersault and thought opacity meant it's oppocite.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: June 03, 2017, 08:17:45 am »

I grew up thinking that "opaque" was "almost transparent". Because I was told that it was (allegedly) opaque substance that stopped vision but not the light, albeit strong light.  They should have called it "translucent", whoever it was led me down that route.  I still have to think about it to know that a brick is opaque, whilst a plastic light-fitting defuser is not.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: June 03, 2017, 08:28:36 am »

For me it's that i learned the word Opacity from Photoshop and  here when you correct the opacity you make it more see through, so the context of my familiarity with the word has always been upside down.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: June 03, 2017, 09:20:41 am »

(Quickly checking...  I think GIMP calls it Transparency..  Ah, well, sort of. "Layer | Transparency | Add Alpha Channel" is the option I tend to have to actually fully read most often, but layers themselves are 100% opaque until you adjust downwards or add a mask of "white (full opacity)" or "black (full transparency)", among other more esoteric on-creation effects that I often use with much relish.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: June 03, 2017, 02:40:22 pm »

Yeah, layer transparency in GIMP.
Well there are many reasons why the government would want your personal information and conversations beyond just terrorism and crime fighting. For example an excellent thing for the UK to do. Labor in power? Well if someone really hates Labor maybe put them on a watch list.
Who is Labor and why does everyone hate him
Pat Labor, the Irish mecha-pilot.
Top quality banter right here, tippity toppity too!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: June 03, 2017, 04:57:31 pm »

Didn't that happen already?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: June 03, 2017, 05:15:10 pm »

Didn't that happen already?

You're probably thinking of the one near Parliament recently, forget the name offhand, W something.

Edit: Westminster bridge is what I was thinking of.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:16:51 pm by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: June 03, 2017, 05:19:38 pm »

Westminster Bridge, that one. This being London Bridge (three rail bridges, two pedestrian bridges and three road bridges further downstream, IIRC). The next bridge down being Tower Bridge (the iconic one).

Ah, edit-ninjaed
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:21:10 pm by Starver »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: June 03, 2017, 05:21:00 pm »

Spoiler: It keeps happening. (click to show/hide)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: June 03, 2017, 05:22:30 pm »

I thought London Bridge was the iconic one. *shrug*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: June 03, 2017, 06:11:11 pm »

I thought London Bridge was the iconic one. *shrug*
A lot of people do. Partly why I mentioned Tower Bridge for context..  Though it's an urban myth that the London Bridge that was sold to wherever-it-was in America was thought to be the Tower one by the purchasers. They knew they were getting a 'standard' river-crossing, and not even the original London Bridge at that, just one of the various incarnations ("New London Bridge", at the time, c.f. the medieval "Old" one, that was the one that was immortalised in song as burning down), being about to be re-re-re-replaced

(This lesson in transpontine terminology is given freely whilst the information about the incident is still far too fluid to say much for certain. I see reports of "at least one fatality", but this may well change even by the time I save this edit...)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:21:31 pm by Starver »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: June 03, 2017, 06:27:55 pm »

Multiple dead reported now. After hitting about 20 people with their van going 80km/h on London Bridge, 3 people got out at the busy Borough Market and started stabbing people, striking down at least 7 people down with long blades, before being engaged in a firefight with the fast repsonding anti-terror brigade. An eyewitness reports that he saw one man being handcuffed and taken away.
At one point there were reports of another incident at Vauxhall, but that turned out to be fake.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:30:42 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: June 03, 2017, 06:42:32 pm »

(50mph, within a smidge, for those who need to think about that doubtless roughly-rounded figure in a more anglocentric unit.)

I was seeing hints of the additional reports, but the confusion over Vauxhall1 took most of my attention.

It is way too early to talk politics, but how the politicians handle things (so close to the election that a 'day off campaigning' is effectively impossible) could be make-or-break.  I will give big credit to anyone who gets the balance right.  It could also go wrong.

Shut up Covenant, your bias is showing.

1 Vauxhall Bridge is the second bridge further upstream of Westminster, possibly a useful secondary target by a group fearing security around Westminster would be too great, so instead aim to flank that with seprate attacks)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: June 03, 2017, 07:11:24 pm »

Only thing though, people tend to want something that works RIGHT HERE AND NOW, so, you have to balance against that while the long term ones will take decades and in more than one case, would involve complete transformation of the government.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 126