Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 189274 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1380 on: March 28, 2017, 04:51:49 pm »

Yea, there's no need to lower the tone.

Personally, I wouldn't want a revote right after it. Although, I do recall hearing closer to the time the opinion that Remain should have a revote, so that all the ones who voted stupidly would get the chance to make the right decision. That was funny :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: March 28, 2017, 05:06:23 pm »

There are words that I'm not using here.

And, as for figuring in voting, I am never a fan of tactical voting (it just creates things like Bregrexit, as has been discussed before) but the chronology was:
Farage says that 52/48 would be "unfinished business", assuming that it would be in the Remain/Leave direction.
A Leaver creates that pre-emptive petition. (And later says "The logistical probability of getting a turnout to be a minimum of 75% and of that, 60% of the vote must be one or the other (leave or remain) is in my opinion next to impossible without a compulsory element to the voting system.", but that might be him trying to sour his own grapes.)
Nearly a month later, we have the vote.
You participate in the thread of the moment.
News that the petition has been 'discovered' and 'hijacked' by 'Bremoaners' is posted to the same thread. But it's also all over the media, so unless you're hiding under a rock...
Some time between then and now, you've forgotten this final point, or are just trying to be annoying. But I'm assuming the former, because you're recently proven susceptible to problems in your recall and, between this and an actual real life visit to a person who is in hospital for intensive observation this week, I'm defaulting to assuming a medical blip that can (and hopefully will) get better soon. Because the alternative isn't somewhere I care to go, in either case.

Good health to you, in the future.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: March 29, 2017, 08:54:00 am »

Covenant, Starver, stop dancing around each other ye little gobshites and kiss already.

On an actual point of discussion, saying "scotland's been part of the UK for hundreds of years!" seems disingenuous when that's mostly because the English were shits to them and stamped all over the various rebellions for hundreds of years before acknowledging it was sort of its own country, ish.

On a point of discussion more related to the current affairs:

What do people think of the bbc coverage going on right now?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: March 29, 2017, 09:49:48 am »

No comment on the coverage, but I still don't see much good coming of this. Unless you like political revolutions.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: March 29, 2017, 02:16:55 pm »

Sry couldn't resist, had to mspaint

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: March 29, 2017, 10:24:51 pm »

We have a word, in America, for the sort of thing that forbidding Scotland from leaving is: "hypocrisy." I dunno if the British English version is different or what. Maybe it's "Jolly-good-take-the-biscut" or something.

I'd like to start by pointing out that I support Scottish independence and fresh referendums, and then say that it's quite a stretch to call it hypocritical given that the union between Scotland and England is a very different situation from the European union. Equating the two is a very shallow way to look at it.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: March 30, 2017, 04:08:40 am »

I'm in favour of an eventual Scottish referendum, but not one right now. Of all the bad times.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: March 30, 2017, 04:18:29 am »

We have a word, in America, for the sort of thing that forbidding Scotland from leaving is: "hypocrisy." I dunno if the British English version is different or what. Maybe it's "Jolly-good-take-the-biscut" or something.

I'd like to start by pointing out that I support Scottish independence and fresh referendums, and then say that it's quite a stretch to call it hypocritical given that the union between Scotland and England is a very different situation from the European union. Equating the two is a very shallow way to look at it.

Yeah it isn't even like the situation between Canada and Quebec... and yet we still support a referendum (we think it is silly for them to do it... mostly because we think it is scapegoating for their real problems)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: March 30, 2017, 04:22:57 am »

I'm in favour of an eventual Scottish referendum, but not one right now. Of all the bad times.

To be fair I'd guess there is a pretty solid argument that a referendum should at least wait until the end on the EU-UK negotiations so that Scotland can choose its deal knowing what's on the table.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: March 30, 2017, 04:24:20 am »

To be fair I'd guess there is a pretty solid argument that a referendum should at least wait until the end on the EU-UK negotiations so that Scotland can choose its deal knowing what's on the table.

To admit though a successful referendum gives Scotland a lot more bargaining power. They might even be able to blackmail UK in the process in order for Scotland to stay... and thus have a direct impact on the negotiations.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: March 30, 2017, 04:33:14 am »

A contrario it might gives incentives to the EU to give the UK a worse deal hoping the get Scotland back.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: March 30, 2017, 04:36:46 am »

You assume the EU wants Scotland.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: March 30, 2017, 05:09:48 am »

I think not every country (*cough*Spain*cough*) would be delighted, but a lot of the EU institutions at least would be. What better proof that the EU has a future than to have Scotland quit England to join it?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: March 30, 2017, 05:29:00 am »

Surely it's a fairly expensive symbolic gesture. And, not to mention, one that would heavily peeve off the U.K. - which certainly might have a sweet taste to some, but isn't exactly in the best interests of Europe either.

As for the symbolic value....even of that, I'm doubtful. How does Europe accepting part of a splintered state prove that it has a strong future?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: March 30, 2017, 06:52:28 am »

Because it shows* that people wants to join it enough to break a 300-old Union. I don't really see the expensive parts. As for peeving off the rUK... I don't really see it if it's too overt. But yeah, I don't think we're likely to see the EU willing to accept significant costs just for that.

*Or can be spun as showing.

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 126