Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Time has passed, let's fill out 2016.)  (Read 14796 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Every detail helps)
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2016, 11:12:42 am »

Could mention the rise and fall of the Rage Thread.  I miss the rage thread.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2016, 12:09:17 pm »

I'd advise not to talk about the fall. As someone who has witnessed it personally...it's a can of worms of misunderstandings and acting on perceived assumptions in a really touchy way coming from one's response to a very serious matter (ie intrusive, life threatening thoughts starting with the letter 's') played in a way that would've ended in a much better way if the one noting that down would've thought of their ideas before posting it.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2016, 12:12:03 pm »

We already have it marked anyway.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2016, 12:16:20 pm »

Nist Akath as well.

This is a pretty interesting thread.

Was it on this forum or correspond to a spike?  Not really relevant to the timeline otherwise.  I only caved on Boatmurdered due to there having been frequent mentions that it is what got people to try DF.

Really thinking about it, it's been 10 years since the Boatmurdered edition.  Maybe we should start trying to popularize a fort made in a more recent version as well...

I'd advise not to talk about the fall. As someone who has witnessed it personally...it's a can of worms of misunderstandings and acting on perceived assumptions in a really touchy way coming from one's response to a very serious matter (ie intrusive, life threatening thoughts starting with the letter 's') played in a way that would've ended in a much better way if the one noting that down would've thought of their ideas before posting it.

It was already included before SalmonGod posted, though only on the basis of when it was created and when the topic was banned.  Based upon what you are saying, it's probably not a good idea to go much further than that.

Edit: Ninja'd by Tawa.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2016, 03:11:03 pm »

Nist Akath as well.

This is a pretty interesting thread.

Was it on this forum or correspond to a spike?  Not really relevant to the timeline otherwise.  I only caved on Boatmurdered due to there having been frequent mentions that it is what got people to try DF.

Really thinking about it, it's been 10 years since the Boatmurdered edition.  Maybe we should start trying to popularize a fort made in a more recent version as well...
Yep, it was on the forum, iirc for DF 40d. Though the various means of making it easier to read are not.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2016, 03:18:03 pm »

Yep, it was on the forum, iirc for DF 40d. Though the various means of making it easier to read are not.

Okay.  Got some dates for me to put on the timeline relevant to it?  Kinda need that to put it on the timeline.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2016, 03:25:13 pm »

First post is Nov 13 '07, last story post is march 21 '10.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2016, 06:09:16 pm »

It was already included before SalmonGod posted, though only on the basis of when it was created and when the topic was banned.  Based upon what you are saying, it's probably not a good idea to go much further than that.

Edit: Ninja'd by Tawa.

Yeah, I didn't mean to go into detail, and didn't realize it was already there.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2016, 06:13:43 pm »

Eh. I think most of the posts in the RAEG thread are still there to read if you honestly want to know how it went down.

I'll admit I miss it too. None of the other threads are super appropriate for it and man has there been some shit in my life lately I'd like to vent about in text. But the Toad said people expressing the emotion didn't seem like it had any positive impact on the forum, so, we are raeg-less.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2016, 06:23:26 pm »

Anyone have something from 2005?  It's the only year we have nothing on right now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2016, 06:41:26 pm »

So far have been having difficulty locating dates for the various homestuck avatar fads, the creation of the masterwork subforum, and the shortlived Putnam and Deon modding subforums which were made seperately from the other modding subforums
Edit: Creation of modding subboards were all at same time.  Apparent date was in June 2013, based upon forum thread 'playing with organization' by Toady One in the DF Modding board.

Here's some museum info for that.

Deon's set a precedent, and I guess having my own board would feel less like I'm spamming the modding board :V I feel like I have to sell this, but I guess it's just because I have 7 mods, which I feel would be easier to manage (and remember) if I were to have my own board.

It should be fine.  I recognize you, anyway.  I'll figure out where to draw the line some other time.  Do you have a name for it?
Putnam's Mods, like Deon's.
I would personally think it much easier to just have a separate (sub) board for mod releases in general (as opposed to help with modding).

I'm not sure what the general breakdown is in the modding forum or how that would work out...  I suppose I could give it a shot.

I've set up your section and moved over some threads.

It ended up being both, which was a bit of a mystery to me. This is partially why I was so immediately willing to have my own board dissolved; I thought of a better idea right as I was asking.

Some of the other PMs I got related are a bit too personal... simple congrats or discussion about the implications behind the change and all that, but still pretty personal.

Funnily enough, looking back at it, even at the time, which was basically my height of salt regarding Masterwork, most of my interactions with Meph were trying to help him use the scripts I'd written, heh.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2016, 11:26:39 pm »

PTW.

Also, do I get an entry for making Top 10 Active Members By Postcount in less than a year?

(Sadly, I didn't make overall top 10 due to GWG and a mere couple hundred posts...)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2016, 12:10:25 am »

PTW.

Also, do I get an entry for making Top 10 Active Members By Postcount in less than a year?

(Sadly, I didn't make overall top 10 due to GWG and a mere couple hundred posts...)

I'm just wanting to keep track of those in first.  Good news is, you'll wind up bypassing IamanElfCollaborator eventually.  Bad news is, if both of you keep up the exact pace you are at, it'll be 2.2 years, with the bypass being right around 96000 posts.  Would be roughly a month after you would reach over 100k.  I'm not sure if you'll ever be bypassed at that point...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2016, 12:13:06 pm »

Snrk.  Wow.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2016, 12:09:59 pm »

Can I nominate the creation of RTRTD and the induction of myself as a minor meme?

Other than that, this timeline seems pretty cool. I only found it cause I looked up my name in the search bar again and saw it next to the ooc thread creation.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10