Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Time has passed, let's fill out 2016.)  (Read 14790 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Every detail helps)
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2016, 03:29:07 pm »

Another notable event is probably LazyCat/DriverMan making threads advertising his Cataclysm fork over the span of a couple of months using sockpuppets. Doubly relevant because Cata DDA was started by a large number of B12ers

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2016, 03:31:03 pm »

That one I think might fall under "things we don't want to talk about lest we summon someone". Though I think I heard the guy might have been arrested for something IRL recently.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2016, 03:46:26 pm »

Split up some of the time slots and removed the Forex and Mildly Sad thread entries.  The former is due to it having died quickly and the latter due to being too young just yet.  Maybe define a matured emotion thread at having 3750 posts (250 pages on the 15 posts per page setting)?

Another notable event is probably LazyCat/DriverMan making threads advertising his Cataclysm fork over the span of a couple of months using sockpuppets. Doubly relevant because Cata DDA was started by a large number of B12ers
That one I think might fall under "things we don't want to talk about lest we summon someone". Though I think I heard the guy might have been arrested for something IRL recently.

Really doesn't matter until I get a date as to when events happen.  Bit hard to add if it isn't known when that happened.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2016, 04:10:32 pm »

Well the AllGuardsmanParty and Duke's ChapterMaster both had origins here.
Unsure exactly how original, though, we're pretty closely tied to /tg/.
I'm fact I still credit us for creating the 'ancient aliens guy' meme (another avatar fad back in '09)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2016, 04:17:48 pm »

Besides reluctance due to it being from Something Awful, do you know the actual date Boatmurdered started?  If we actually do put it on the timeline, we kinda need that.

New York Times is part of the spike in new users, so it'll be mentioned.

As for the entrance of DF at the MoMa, are you able to get a more precise date?  I would like to know if it wound up making a slight spike by comparing the date with the statistics center.

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/ , here it says
"Began on Nov 10, 2006
Ended on Mar 06, 2007"
I suppose it's better than nothing.

About the MoMa, i found a reference to it in the new york times article :
"But the game’s profile is slowly growing on Tarn’s own terms. This week, the Museum of Modern Art will include Dwarf Fortress in a major design exhibition called “Talk to Me,"
So I suppose the first exhibition on the 21th of July 2011, but the decision to include DF in the Moma was made at the end of november 2012, and it was done on March 2013. So I don't know when exactly...
Announcement : http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/2012/11/29/video-games-14-in-the-collection-for-starters/
(29 november 2012. You should probably add this one ?)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2016, 04:58:47 pm »

I'm fact I still credit us for creating the 'ancient aliens guy' meme (another avatar fad back in '09)
That reminds me. We founded one of the major SS13 forks, Baystation 12. And then founded another one like three years later.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2016, 06:21:11 pm »

I'm pretty sure we did not have any foundation of All Guardsman Party. It didn't start getting posted here until the start of "season two's" stories.

Bay 12 just happens to be one of the smallest sites that's on the "standard rotation" of gaming forums.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2016, 06:38:25 pm »

GreatWyrmGold is on there because, as priorly mentioned, he held the number one until he was surpassed less than a month ago.  I think holding onto it that long is worth it.  Heck, I'd be including when Toonyman lost it if I knew when exactly that was.
It was April 21st, 2013. And to be honest I don't know when I started myself.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2016, 06:40:48 pm »

Toady and ToonyMan posting unsolicited in a GD thread? Now all we need is for Armok and Pathos to show up.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2016, 08:16:17 pm »

Toady and ToonyMan posting unsolicited in a GD thread? Now all we need is for Armok and Pathos to show up.

And Kurtulmak too.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2016, 12:18:24 am »

That reminds me. We founded one of the major SS13 forks, Baystation 12. And then founded another one like three years later.

Doesn't really mean much if I don't get a date of when these events occurred.  Just saying.

Don't forget the thread has less than 1000 views at time of posting, is roughly a day and a half old, and both posted within less than a six hour period of time of each other.  The more you look at it, the more insane it starts to get.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2016, 12:33:57 am »

CIA deniable op it is.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2016, 01:36:41 am »

The most interesting thing about this is realizing events are already multiple years past that still feel recent to me.

Also, not really noteworthy, but I sometimes look back on this thread as a snapshot of the GD regular population of yore, and reminisce briefly about the days when I was able to hang out on here all the time while at my shitty data entry job.  It also makes me think about how my internet personality has changed, mostly as a result of hanging out here.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2016, 04:12:55 am »

No Org, Quizz, Duke, Realm, quinnr or Jackrabbit. Eh.

Hello!
I hope we can be a friend!
Hah. Cloudy. The first grisha5
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2016, 07:03:26 am »

You should probably add some of the legendary story fort threads as well, the battlefailed series, deathgate, towersoared, etc.  the hall of legends has links to all of those threads I believe.
Nist Akath as well.

This is a pretty interesting thread.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10